2 hours ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Understand their motive, but surely the contract is between the player and the club. How can a national association stipulate the fee clubs will have to pay? If Barca want to hold on to a player who no longer wishes to be there, then it is up to them to manage the situation. This will definitely go to the courts, then i can see him spending a year going through the motions and will leave for nothing rather than the 50-100m Barca could have got?

After nearly 20 years of service i'd have thought an amicable split could have been sought. 

They aren’t really stipulating, they are giving their opinion on his contract.  Also, and I definitely could be wrong, but I think Spain has a unique situation in their contracts because, as far as I’m aware, it is the national association who mandate that every players contract needs a minimum release clause.

The national association aren’t stipulating that though, they are confirming the number within the contract.  Barcelona, likely in discussion with Messi and potential suitors, will decide what the actual number is.

its all very easy to argue for an amicable split..... but guaranteed if any of us had the best player in the world at our club who wanted to leave, we would want the club to realize as much as humanly possible.

Yes, Messi has given Barcelona 20 years fantastic service.... but Barcelona have also been very good to Messi and helped him achieve fantastic wealth and having won many top honours.

At the end of the day its a business.  If Madrid got £80 million for Ronaldo at 33 years old then it’s easy to see why Barcelona don’t want to just let Messi go for free.  Indeed, their Board must be shitting themselves if he leaves at all because he’s been carrying that team on his back for the last 5 years since Xavi retired and Iniesta left.

35 minutes ago, craig said:

They aren’t really stipulating, they are giving their opinion on his contract.  Also, and I definitely could be wrong, but I think Spain has a unique situation in their contracts because, as far as I’m aware, it is the national association who mandate that every players contract needs a minimum release clause.

The national association aren’t stipulating that though, they are confirming the number within the contract.  Barcelona, likely in discussion with Messi and potential suitors, will decide what the actual number is.

its all very easy to argue for an amicable split..... but guaranteed if any of us had the best player in the world at our club who wanted to leave, we would want the club to realize as much as humanly possible.

Yes, Messi has given Barcelona 20 years fantastic service.... but Barcelona have also been very goodyoMessi and helped him achieve fantastic wealth and having won many top offers.

At the end of the day its a business.  If Madrid got £80 million for Ronaldo at 33 years old then it’s easy to see why Barcelona don’t want to just let Messi go for free.  Indeed, their Board must be shitting themselves if he leaves at all because he’s been carrying that team on his back for the last 5 years since Xavi retired and Iniesta left.

Yep its going to rumble on and either a stalemate and a wasted season for both or around 100-150m fee. I suspect the higher the fee then less Messi's team will be able to demand in wages. 

58 minutes ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Yep its going to rumble on and either a stalemate and a wasted season for both or around 100-150m fee. I suspect the higher the fee then less Messi's team will be able to demand in wages. 

According to inside sources Messi isnt overly concerned about the wages - or I should say "it isnt all about the wages" - he wants to win another Champions League.  Given he is worth, apparently, $400 million, I can see why it isnt all about the wages.  Seemingly he is on £99 million a season at Barcelona which is insane when you include loyalty and image rights.

3 hours ago, craig said:

According to inside sources Messi isnt overly concerned about the wages - or I should say "it isnt all about the wages" - he wants to win another Champions League.  Given he is worth, apparently, $400 million, I can see why it isnt all about the wages.  Seemingly he is on £99 million a season at Barcelona which is insane when you include loyalty and image rights.

Even with a salary reduction i can't see any PL sides being able to pay a sizeable fee plus whatever % of that £99m, even a 50% reduction, except maybe City . 

1 hour ago, ChelseaBoy said:

Even with a salary reduction i can't see any PL sides being able to pay a sizeable fee plus whatever % of that £99m, even a 50% reduction, except maybe City . 

Which is why he will end up at City :thup: