If you weren't selling your house...

At the end of the day, there is a guy sitting down in Killie who doesn't want to be there. He's a very promising footballer and has the chance to make possibly the biggest move of his life and it's all been taken out of his hands and is being played out in the media. It's now got to a stage where his mentality is beng questioned and his presence is being indirectly cited for any problems Killie have on the pitch come the start of the season.

Neither club are coming out of this with much, if any, credit. For us, it's another case of penny pinching - if we hadn't made such a ridiculous bid to start with, I thnk Killie would have been much easier to deal with, and for Killie, to make the affair so public in the hope of wringing every penny they could out of a young lad.

As for his value, well you just never know. I think £2million is an acceptable price. He's young and if we keep him tied up on decent contracts and his progress continues then over the next few years he'll pay back his price with his value to the team and also, possibly, move on for an even bigger fee. But, like every transfer, there is the risk that he'll get injured, not fit in or maybe just not make the grade.

Celtic splashed out on Brown and took the risk - obviously we don't know how it'll work out, but I think he'll be a success for them and I think Naismith can ve the same for us. But, I feel the ball is now in Killie's court and they have to come back to us and say 'We'll sell him, we want X, will you pay it, no bargaining'. Walter, SDM and Bain have to then decide aye or nay!

calscot - if you read my post carefully you will realise that I was NOT criticising Rangers, but rather the usual pro-establishment media respone. If Rangers think Naismith is worth 2p, then they are perfectly entitled to bid 2p, or even 1p for that matter. Kilmarnock, on the other hand, are equally entitled to reject the bid because they think he is worth 3p, or even �£2M for that matter. My only criticism of your club in this affair is that their opening bad was barely a quarter of what they have since recognised as the true value of the player. Transfers are always subject to a degree of bartering but many would see Rangers opening bid as taking the piss and merely trying to unsettle the player. Some might argue that this has been a recent pattern regarding Rangers transfer targets.

My main issue, however, is that Darryl King, BFDJ et al are making Kilmarnock out to be bad guys for not selling a player they think is worth more than Rangers have offered. Apparently Naismith is emotionally traumatised. Surely if that is the case Rangers should simply match Kilmarnock's evaluation. It is as strong an arguement as the one that says Killie should sell him for less than they think he is worth.

Much of what you say is perfectly logical BC2.

However, I simply cannot agree with you when you say "is Naismith is emotionally traumatised Gers should pay what Killie feel he is worth".

Taking that argument to an extreme you are saying that if Rangers think he is worth 1 mill but Killie feel he is worth 5 mill Rangers should just pay the 5 mill because the player is emotionally traumatised - that is a nonsense statement.

It is not Rangers fault that the player feels that way. It appears that the player wants to sign for Rangers - in situations like these it is usually, but not always, the selling club who bend a little because they have a player on their hands that does not want to be there.

But Naismith's mental wellbeing is NOTHING to do with Rangers, nor should it concern them because, as things stand, he is not their player.

craig - I don't disagree with a word of this. To suggest Rangers should pay over the odds to put Naismith out his misery IS nonsense, but no more so than the notion that Killie should accept less than THEY feel the player is worth for similar reasons. This is the arguement appearing repeatedly in the media.

I note both the Edinburgh clubs are reported to have put in official bids. An interesting few days ahead.

Is that not an easy PR win for the Edinburgh clubs? Put a bid in, and if as reported, Naismith doesn't want to go anywhere except Ibrox, then they can tell their fans that at least they tried. From the DM school of smoke and mirrors.

Not sure how any Scottish lad would feel about signing for Hearts just now with the way their club is being run.