�£1.4mil supposedly done for Cousin

I doubt we will be getting a big name in any time soon Gribz. Hope I am wrong though

I know we wont be getting big names from top of the ladder like a Ballack, Tevez, Henry etc but when you see West Ham signing Ljungberg for 3 million and Dyer going for 4 million you just have to think if we are putting 3.3 million in for Whittaker and Naismith then is the next level of EPL players like a Ljungberg completely out of our reach? The wages are a stumbling block but there are players out there who would find Rangers attractive.

As said above the CL will be a factor. If we are in it then a higher level of player will come to us. We also have to remember Smith attracted big players to Rangers before - ok he had an open cheque book - but he has to be credited for signing Gazza, Laudrup, Hateley and Albertz. So hopefully he can pull another name like this out of the hat.

I don't think we'll ever be able to sign a "big-name" again unless they're past their best. I think the best option we have now is to try and identify players who are on their way up and who will use us as a stepping stone. While the CL is a nice thing to be able to offer, unfortunately we can't afford the wages for players like Ljungberg and I don't think the SPL is an attractive option for many of them when compared to the EPL. Even just the money side of thing is ridiculous these days, with Championship sides probably able to pay more money for fees and wages than we can sustain.

Its changed days since WS was last in charge. Just look back at some of the guys they signed and see who their equivalents would be in today's game and you'll see that we've no hope of emulating that again unless we were somehow granted a place in the EPL.