Respect, Disrespect and Rephrasing Dislike

47 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I've seen quite a bit of that, and to try and equate the two is just sick and trivialises the racism that the likes of Kamara and others regularly receive. It is points scoring and those who use it should have a good look at themselves and realise that their bitterness is downplaying the racism that some black people have to regularly suffer.

I've also seen the claims of anti-Irish racism and couldn't get my head around how Rangers fans were racist against the Irish. The "Why don't you go home" chant could be levelled against us, but it's not been sung for many years as far as I'm aware, and it seems to me that it was sarcasm and aimed at Scots who pretend to be Irish, rather than Irish people themselves. I couldn't think of other songs/chants that were anti-Irish.

I guess from what Rick is saying they're trying to claim the use of "f*nian" is in some way anti-Irish. As the argument is using the political meaning of the word then that's the same logic as claiming that our "fuck the SNP" chant is anti-Scottish. 

There still is racism out there, although thankfully nowhere near as bad as it was 30 years ago, but the attempts to link it to Rangers fans is downplaying it and allowing the actual racists more oxygen to continue their bile.

Yep, i'm guess i'm trying to point out the agendas and contortions involved. The goal was always to get us in trouble, by any means possible, and less with how that's achieved or any double-standards.  

Ultimately, we have to be smart and wisen up. This one's always going to be a loaded gun. No doubt they'll invent new and imaginative ways to catch us out in the future. 

Crvena Zvezda have been punished with a full stadium closure because a chap in hospitality shouted an ethnic slur at Ibrahimovic, during their recent (closed doors) EL match with Milan.

The Balkan situation (particularly between Serbs and Bosniaks) isn't entirely different to the one in NI/Scotland, where racial distinctions are negligible and the hatred is more based on religious affiliation.

Regardless of what you or I think, UEFA view sectarianism on a par with racism.  Additionally, the Scottish Government view the term 'F*nian' as a sectarian, not a political, term.  

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Additionally, the Scottish Government view the term 'F*nian' as a sectarian, not a political, term.  

From what I can see (and maybe that isn't a great deal) the Scottish Government adopts whatever values it can use against those it feels threatened by. 

I have no time at all for UEFA or the Scottish government (and fully respect the opinions of Bluedell, Frankie and Rick Roberts) but I get the feeling we're pissing in the wind, to a large extent.  

Edited by Gonzo79

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

I have no time at all for UEFA or the Scottish government (and fully respect the opinions of Bluedell, Frankie and Rick Roberts) but I get the feeling we're pissing in the wind, to a large extent.  

We are, it's gone. We've lost that fight.

But it's important we learn from it. Understand what's happened. Maybe even balance things up. 

32 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Additionally, the Scottish Government view the term 'F*nian' as a sectarian, not a political, term.  

You're obviously correct and it's sometimes used in that way, but to equate it to being anti-Irish, I'm presuming that the political definition is in use.

I'm also not trying to argue that it's sole use is political. I've heard it often enough in a sectarian way over the years.

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

The "Why don't you go home" chant could be levelled against us, but it's not been sung for many years as far as I'm aware, and it seems to me that it was sarcasm and aimed at Scots who pretend to be Irish, rather than Irish people themselves.

That’s always been my view. If someone’s forever blabbering on about “their dear land across the sea” what’s wrong with asking the question?