Fifty Years Ago - Barcelona Bound

Arabs, the 'Well and, the Buddies.

We were a month into the Miners' strike, the three day week was biting and, power was being rationed during evenings into three hour blocks. The latter fortnight of February'72 saw a new phenomenon. Newspapers no longer began on the back page; pages four, five, six, .... etc carried lists of streets in every village, town and, city - informing you of the hours that evening your home would receive power. I seem to remember power was allocated in three hour blocks and doing homework at the dining room table by candle light. Such ambience did not make Latin any more attractive.

Mood music aside, the real soundtrack in the background was provided by Harry Nilsson(Without You), Paul Simon's self titled album and, Chicory Tip(Son of my Father). I had bought the Apple label's first signing, Welsh power chorders, Badfinger had released 'Day after Day'. The NME announced Stevie Wonder would ope for the Rolling Stones during their Stones Touring Party tour of the USA. I couldn't get a ticket. Similarly, I missed Dundee United's visit to Ibrox because of a Noon kick-off.

The teams ran out, Rangers - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, Conn, D Johnstone, A MacDonald and, I MacDonald. Dundee United - McAlpine, Rolland, J Cameron, Markland, Smith(Walter), Gray(Andy), Kopel, Knox(Archie), K Cameron, Fleming and, Traynor. The attendance was reported as 25,000 and Dave Smith stroked the only goal of the game in the 84th minute. My Diary for the day contained two entries, Rangers one-nil victory and my school time had triumphed 1-2 away at Our Lady's High School in Motherwell. I remember the Daily Record had featured that particular all Boys denominational school as being the largest school in Scotland, in excess of 2,200 pupils.

Excitement was growing at school, Rangers were to visit Fir Park and several of us played for Fir Park Boys Club. We were a mixture of Bears and 'Well fans, brilliantly coached by the Claret and Amber's Joe Wark and Northern Ireland international winger, Paddy Campbell. After schools football and our Amateur game, we were accommodated in the Fir Park Enclosure with a pie and bovril. The Bears' half of the grouping were confident. Seventeen thousand squeezed in and the teams entered the field as follows : Motherwell - MacCrae, Muir, Wark, Forsyth(Tam), McCallum, Watson(Bobby), Campbell, McInally(Jackie), McCabe, Lawson and, Heron. Rangers - McCloy, Jardine, Miller, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, Conn, Stein, D Johnstone and, I MacDonald.

The Motherwell side is worthy of further comment. Keith MacCrae succeeded Peter McCloy at Fir Park and he was being promoted as the new Lev Yashin, not only because he wore an all black kit. The next year MacCrae was transferred to Manchester City for £100,000. John(Jumbo)Muir was a big laconic centre-half come centre-forward. He scored a fair number of goals and enjoyed cult status among the 'Well fans. Joe Wark was probably one of the best players never to have been capped by Scotland. Tam Forsyth would arrive at Ibrox in three months time, Kirky Lawson was the epitome of a poacher and, both Bobby Watson and Brian Heron were former Gers. 

Bobby Hewitt was the 'Well boss and he had kept the side in the top eight for several years. There was an Anglo-Scottish trophy at the time, the Texaco Cup. Those teams finished just short of European qualification on both sides of the border entered and the competition was fierce and well attended. Motherwell had vanquished a host of English first Division clubs such as, Spurs, Coventry City, Norwich City, ...... etc. They had a silky midfielder, Jim McCabe; the claret and amber crowd loved him, they sand, "E for B and Jim McCabe". Eggs for breakfast and Jim McCabe were the vitals for life. Sadly, Jim  was the classic Lanarkshire lad. Sellik bid £50,000 for him later in the season, it was accepted but it took Motherwell a day to track him down. He attended the medical drunk and the move was off.

The view from the Enclosure was a deteriorating one, the fog crept in and Rangers froze in the conditions. Heron ghosted in at the back stick to strike a low drive past McCloy in the 8th minute and that goal separated the sides at half-time. Rangers wrestled control at the beginning of the second period but a one-two breakaway from Wark and Campbell saw Lawson run on to the through ball to knock past big Peter. It finished 2-0, we retained our third place in the league, nine points behind leaders, Sellik and, trailing six points to second placed Aberdeen. 

The depression was lifted by the intervening fourth round of the Scottish Cup. Love Street was a big bowl of a ground, capacity was 40,000. St Mirren were suffering a decade in Scotland's second tier, Sir Awex's intervention was still two years down the line. Thirty thousand crowded in and the vast majority were waiting on a goal rush. The Saints had just appointed Willie Cunningham as their new Gaffer and he was promising resolute defence, a money spinning replay at Ibrox would be the very dab. St Mirren lined up - Stevenson, McLaughlin, Munro(Ian), Millar, McQueen(Gordon), Murray, Borland, McLeod, Prentice, Bryceland and, McKean(Bobby). Rangers - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, D Johnstone, Smith, McLean, Conn, Stein, MacDonald and, Johnston.

The word on the supporters bus was the Miners' strike would end on Monday, the vote had been taken that Saturday morning. Sunday evening would still be illuminated by candle light and Latin. Clearly, the Rangers players in the first half at Love Street were communicating in Latin, it was 'O me miserum' as Gordon McQueen and Ian Munro stood firm. Nil nil at half-time was relief. rangers found their venom in a six minute second half spell, running in three goals from Doddy, Colin and, Calimero. McLean added a second from the penalty spot and the Saints notched in 86th minute for a consolation by Ally McLeod. 

Traveling home on the bus, the relief of a 1-4 victory was short lived, the draw for the fifth round was live on BBC Radio Scotland. We drew Motherwell away in a fortnight's time. In a ten day spell, we were to experience two quarter-finals, one in Turin against Torino, the other at Fir Park against a rampant Motherwell. The sky was falling.

• 2 weeks later...

The Fruit of the Dead.

In Greek Mythology, the Pomegranate is known as the fruit of the dead; it was said the plant arose from the blood of Adonis. John Greig was intent upon having more than a bite at one particular pomegranate, midfielder Claudio Sala. Unlike the rest of his Torino team mates, Sala had played on the Saturday before. He was Italy's number ten and had participated in the Azurri's 2-1 defeat in Greece. Rangers had endured a tough game at Rugby Park, and the Skipper had taken it upon himself to be Rangers raging boar to Torino's Adonis. The Gods would not smile upon a bad seed.

As Greig clattered into Sala, Willie Waddell held his head in his hands. Assistant Manager, Jock Wallace punched the air. The reactions of the vast majority of the 35,000 crowd inside the Stadio Comunale was a mixture of anger and respect. Rangers were worthy opponents, they had worked out the main man. Waddell had addressed the players before leaving the team Hotel in Asti, he told them to forget the Club's three previous meetings with Italian opposition. It was all about the future, if Rangers could win the tie they would win the European Cup Winners Cup. Peter McCloy later revealed Waddell took him aside as they were boarding the team coach and offered, "it's simple, don't concede tonight and we are through".

The Captain's tackle from centre laid down a marker and Torino - Castellini, Mozzini, Fossati, Zecchin, Cereser, Agroppi, Rampanti, Ferrini, Pulici, Sala and Bui took note. Rangers lined up as - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, D Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald and, Johnston but played the Catenaccio system. Dave Smith wore number six, DJ wore number eight; the Aberdonian played the Sweeper role whereas the Dundonian in possession sat in front of Colin Jackson, out of possession he slotted in beside him. Smith's range of passing was the key, as soon as a Torino attack broke down, Smith pinged off to willing runners, Johnston and Stein.

The Antipasto was delicious for all Bluenoses, Sala stayed tackled and Rangers served up a first half fiesta of possession football. Torino looked good enough to eat, they abandoned their Granata jerseys for the then Italian Cup winners traditional all white ensemble with red, white and, green tricolour badge. On the 12th minute, Dave Smith found an advancing Mathieson and WullieWanFit ghosted past two defenders before crossing deep to the back stick. An on rushing Bud Johnston did not have to break stride, clinically slamming the ball into the back of the pokey. Torino attempted to get their game going but every attack fell on the eighteen yard line with, either DJ intercepting a pass or Dave Smith taking a touch before passing into midfield or further. There was a fright just before the break, DJ matched Ferrini's run into the box and his challenge coincided with the Italian falling to the turf. Referee Kamber waved play on.

A half time 0-1 lead did not flatter Rangers, Torino boss, Giagnoni decided width was the answer. He substituted full back, Fossati for left winger, Toschi. On the hour mark it paid off, Toschi's left foot drive was deflected goalward by centre forward, Pulici. The deflection wrong footed McCloy but Bomber Jackson followed the ball to the goal line. Unfortunately, his attempt at a swinging clearance bulleted the ball high into the net. There were thirty minutes left and expectation was a rested Torino to power on against a tiring Rangers. The Teddie Bears provided the Afro Gato, continuing possession football brought jeers and horns, the double espresso arrived courtesy of Bud, two opportunities to restore the lead. The game finished 1-1 and the action transferred to the tunnel.

Johnston had given Torino full back, Mozzini a torrid evening. Eventually he caught Bud in the tunnel and promised the Fifer he would break his legs in a fortnight's time at Ibrox. Bud admitted relief at the appearance of Jock Wallace who shoved the Italian away with an accompanying, "fcuk off". Gustavo Giagnoni stood at the mouth of the tunnel and paid Rangers two big compliments, "I've never seen a fitter team' and, "they came here and played the Italian game, beautifully". Waddell proclaimed DJ to be, "the new John Charles". The Italian press whilst acknowledging Giagnoni's compliments were livid with the Referee, "the Scots are rough, there should have been one if not two penalties awarded, the Swiss Ref' was lenient", wrote Bruno Perucca of La Stampa. Sala remained quiet.

On the Charter flight home the next morning, Rangers learned they were not dining alone at the Euro table. Sellik had won 1-2 in Hungary against Ujpest Dosza, BBC Scotland showed that game live in glorious black and white. The colour was all Rangers as the mercurial winger, Wullie Henderson was waiting at Ibrox with his legal representative, big Juve and Sellik man, Joe Beltrami. Wullie wanted to remain a Ranger, the Club was intent on transfer listing him and, Big Joe had enjoyed climbing the marble staircase.

• 3 weeks later...

Perth Saints and Well Sinners.

I was betwixt and between. On Saturdays, I wanted to emulate Alfie Conn but on Sundays it was Al Green who took me to church. Albert Greene was pure Arkansas gospel and I had paid my local record shopkeeper in Cadzow Street, Hamilton an extra quid for an import of an album entitled, 'Green is Blues'. Hi Records was Willie Mitchell's own label and the single, 'Tired of Being Alone' was attached to the album sleeve. The record shop owner told me to keep the single because, "nobody listens to this pysh". Jethro Tull had the UK number one album and I received further advice, "this is what's happening". Ian Anderson was not my type of flautist.

Al and Alfie would have to wait, I played for my school in East Kilbride and took a solid flat of the boot, nylon studs showing on my right ankle. A couple of hours later, I started for Fir Park Boys' Club in Motherwell. I was subbed at half time, attended Hairmyers for an X-Ray and, was told my ankle bone had been chipped. I missed Alfie at Ibrox that afternoon against St Johnstone. Sandy Jardine and Colin Stein also missed out, returning from Turin with ankle injuries. They needed Al Green on prescription. In front of 25,000, Rangers fielded - McCloy, Denny, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, Conn, D Johnstone, Johnston, I MacDonald. St Johnstone - Robertson, Lambie, Coburn, Rennie, Gordon, Argue, Leslie, Rooney, Pearson, Connolly and, Fraser. Big DJ notched in the 39th minute and Tommy McLean completed the scoring on the hour mark, for a comfortable 2-nil victory.

Monday morning arrived and my ankle had ballooned. I was back at the Accident and Emergency where a soft cast was applied. I was given a wooden crutch and took a ton of playground abuse. Jardine and Stein got it worse, both were selected for the Scottish League fixture at Ayrsome Park, Middlesbrough against the English League midweek. Sandy was named Skipper and led a team of cobalt blue jerseys, including Stein on to a most heavy Teeside pitch. Colin opened the scoring in a 3-2 defeat for the Scots. The Blades Tony Currie glided across the surface scoring a double and setting up Man City's Doyle for the winner.

Saturday arrived and we were due at Fir Park for the Scottish Cup quarter-final. I was swinging on a crutch,  both Jardine and, Stein faced late fitness tests. All three of us made the game. Obviously, I had not played for Motherwell's official youth club(no separate entity) that day and was thus denied my usual place in the Enclosure and denied my free pie and bovril. I paid into the terracing and in a strenuous effort to secure a view of the pitch amid a bumper 30,000 attendance, I found myself leaning on my support on top of the pie hut roof. I had climbed with the aid of the floodlight pylon. Had Al Green ever suffered tis much for his art?

Motherwell ran out - Fallon, Muir, Whiteford, Forsyth, McCallum, Watson, Campbell, McInally, McCabe, Lawson and, Heron. Rangers took to the sunshine - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, D Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald, and, Johnston. I have stated before that Bobby Hewitt's 'Well side were well balanced and as Jock Wallace oft' said, they had a ton of character. Lawson was a poacher, McInally is Alan(Rambo)'s auld man and a real handful and, the football came from Jim McCabe and Sammy Campbell. The steel in the Steelmen was provided by Tam Forsyth, Jumbo Muir and, Whiteford. The weak point was former Sellik Keeper, John Fallon and he would prove pivotal in the tie.

The first half was calm, we emulated the Turin approach. We retained possession comfortably, creating a few opportunities and, when Doddie planted the ball into the net on the 33rd minute it was no surprise. There were eight of us on the pie stall flat roof and we drank in the spring sunshine one zip in the lead at half time. There existed a phenomenon in Scottish football in those days, half-time saw a migration from one end to the other, a determination to be behind the goal your team was shooting into. Another half-dozen joined us roof dwellers. First period Rangers became increasingly unrecognisable as the second period progressed. Jim McCabe found Brian Heron rushing beyond a clearly labouring Sandy Jardine and, the former Ranger calmly finished a minute before the hour. 

The game had changed, 'Well were all over us like a rash. We could not stop the crosses into our box and when the diminutive Northern Ireland internationalist, Sammy Campbell killed another desperate clearance and stroked it past a slow to get down McCloy, we all chorussed where was Billy Mathieson? Seventeen minutes to go and we were out the Cup. An increasingly relevant point of discussion was the stability of our defence as opposed the stability of the pie stall roof. We were twenty yards from the exit and another dozen and a half were sharing our uninterrupted vista. The Police vacated and closed the eatery, stopped any further incursions and, furiously demanded we all get down.

A Kirky Lawson effort was parried by the gas metre, Dave Smith cleared left and Johnston was off and running into a Bobby Watson body check. The Referee awarded the free kick, a touch off to Mathieson and he decided to turn back from a challenge but quickly turned the other way and got off a high floaty cross to the back stick. There were six minutes remaining when Colin Stein rose to head the ball back across John Fallon into the 'Well net. The equaliser was the last I saw, the ensuing mayhem caused the pie stall to collapse. The result was a dozen injuries, some serious breakages but fortunately nothing near fatal. I was hanging on to to a pylon cross support minus my crutch.

The replay at Ibrox was nine days away, in between we had the return leg of the European Cup Winners Cup quarter-final and a league fixture at Ibrox against Morton. In those two games, another pie stall would be demolished and Colin Jackson would notch an unfortunate double. But hey, as Al Green sang, 'Let's stay Together'.

1 hour ago, 26th of foot said:

Perth Saints and Well Sinners.

I was betwixt and between. On Saturdays, I wanted to emulate Alfie Conn but on Sundays it was Al Green who took me to church. Albert Greene was pure Arkansas gospel and I had paid my local record shopkeeper in Cadzow Street, Hamilton an extra quid for an import of an album entitled, 'Green is Blues'. Hi Records was Willie Mitchell's own label and the single, 'Tired of Being Alone' was attached to the album sleeve. The record shop owner told me to keep the single because, "nobody listens to this pysh". Jethro Tull had the UK number one album and I received further advice, "this is what's happening". Ian Anderson was not my type of flautist.

Al and Alfie would have to wait, I played for my school in East Kilbride and took a solid flat of the boot, nylon studs showing on my right ankle. A couple of hours later, I started for Fir Park Boys' Club in Motherwell. I was subbed at half time, attended Hairmyers for an X-Ray and, was told my ankle bone had been chipped. I missed Alfie at Ibrox that afternoon against St Johnstone. Sandy Jardine and Colin Stein also missed out, returning from Turin with ankle injuries. They needed Al Green on prescription. In front of 25,000, Rangers fielded - McCloy, Denny, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, Conn, D Johnstone, Johnston, I MacDonald. St Johnstone - Robertson, Lambie, Coburn, Rennie, Gordon, Argue, Leslie, Rooney, Pearson, Connolly and, Fraser. Big DJ notched in the 39th minute and Tommy McLean completed the scoring on the hour mark, for a comfortable 2-nil victory.

Monday morning arrived and my ankle had ballooned. I was back at the Accident and Emergency where a soft cast was applied. I was given a wooden crutch and took a ton of playground abuse. Jardine and Stein got it worse, both were selected for the Scottish League fixture at Ayrsome Park, Middlesbrough against the English League midweek. Sandy was named Skipper and led a team of cobalt blue jerseys, including Stein on to a most heavy Teeside pitch. Colin opened the scoring in a 3-2 defeat for the Scots. The Blades Tony Currie glided across the surface scoring a double and setting up Man City's Doyle for the winner.

Saturday arrived and we were due at Fir Park for the Scottish Cup quarter-final. I was swinging on a crutch,  both Jardine and, Stein faced late fitness tests. All three of us made the game. Obviously, I had not played for Motherwell's official youth club(no separate entity) that day and was thus denied my usual place in the Enclosure and denied my free pie and bovril. I paid into the terracing and in a strenuous effort to secure a view of the pitch amid a bumper 30,000 attendance, I found myself leaning on my support on top of the pie hut roof. I had climbed with the aid of the floodlight pylon. Had Al Green ever suffered tis much for his art?

Motherwell ran out - Fallon, Muir, Whiteford, Forsyth, McCallum, Watson, Campbell, McInally, McCabe, Lawson and, Heron. Rangers took to the sunshine - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, D Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald, and, Johnston. I have stated before that Bobby Hewitt's 'Well side were well balanced and as Jock Wallace oft' said, they had a ton of character. Lawson was a poacher, McInally is Alan(Rambo)'s auld man and a real handful and, the football came from Jim McCabe and Sammy Campbell. The steel in the Steelmen was provided by Tam Forsyth, Jumbo Muir and, Whiteford. The weak point was former Sellik Keeper, John Fallon and he would prove pivotal in the tie.

The first half was calm, we emulated the Turin approach. We retained possession comfortably, creating a few opportunities and, when Doddie planted the ball into the net on the 33rd minute it was no surprise. There were eight of us on the pie stall flat roof and we drank in the spring sunshine one zip in the lead at half time. There existed a phenomenon in Scottish football in those days, half-time saw a migration from one end to the other, a determination to be behind the goal your team was shooting into. Another half-dozen joined us roof dwellers. First period Rangers became increasingly unrecognisable as the second period progressed. Jim McCabe found Brian Heron rushing beyond a clearly labouring Sandy Jardine and, the former Ranger calmly finished a minute before the hour. 

The game had changed, 'Well were all over us like a rash. We could not stop the crosses into our box and when the diminutive Northern Ireland internationalist, Sammy Campbell killed another desperate clearance and stroked it past a slow to get down McCloy, we all chorussed where was Billy Mathieson? Seventeen minutes to go and we were out the Cup. An increasingly relevant point of discussion was the stability of our defence as opposed the stability of the pie stall roof. We were twenty yards from the exit and another dozen and a half were sharing our uninterrupted vista. The Police vacated and closed the eatery, stopped any further incursions and, furiously demanded we all get down.

A Kirky Lawson effort was parried by the gas metre, Dave Smith cleared left and Johnston was off and running into a Bobby Watson body check. The Referee awarded the free kick, a touch off to Mathieson and he decided to turn back from a challenge but quickly turned the other way and got off a high floaty cross to the back stick. There were six minutes remaining when Colin Stein rose to head the ball back across John Fallon into the 'Well net. The equaliser was the last I saw, the ensuing mayhem caused the pie stall to collapse. The result was a dozen injuries, some serious breakages but fortunately nothing near fatal. I was hanging on to to a pylon cross support minus my crutch.

The replay at Ibrox was nine days away, in between we had the return leg of the European Cup Winners Cup quarter-final and a league fixture at Ibrox against Morton. In those two games, another pie stall would be demolished and Colin Jackson would notch an unfortunate double. But hey, as Al Green sang, 'Let's stay Together'.

Bloody vandals 🤣

"This game is not Shrouded in Mystery".

Above was the Scottish Daily Express back page headline on the morning of the match, it went further stating, "Rangers will attack, Torino will defend". The real deal mystery among supporters was whether the real deal Rangers would turn up? The Turin Shroud was no mystery, it is a 14th century forgery but, hey it attracts a lot of tourists. The second leg of a ECWC quarter-final was a huge attraction, an attendance of 60,000 plus was expected and no one was interested in worshipping false Gods. Although it must be said, if Graven Image wore a blue jersey with number nine on his back and put one in the Italian pokey, he would have been cheered to the echo.

The official crowd number was given as 65,000, anyone standing on the terracing would swear to another ten-twelve thousand on that number. Remember, the vast majority of under 15s were lifted over the turnstiles and thus not included in the official attendance. Ibrox was a different animal back in the day, a huge oval Stadium with a broad black ash track - a legacy of Bill Struth's beloved, 'Rangers Sports' Day'. The Archibald Leitch designed Main Stand stood magnificently surrounding on all sides by high terraces. The proximity to the then Abbotsinch Airport ensured low mounted floodlights and the track hosted in excess of 100 light blue painted Disabled Cars, all facing the pitch. Only three-quarters of the ground was covered.

Noise was mostly generated by the Derry, situated at the now juncture of the Copland Road and the Sandy Jardine Stands. The old Main Stand generated a unique sound, twelve thousand pairs of feet stamping on the wooden floors projected an eerie rattle. Such encouragement greeted Rangers from the tunnel - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, D Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald and, Johnston. Torino, again in all white emerged - Castellini, Lombardo, Fossati, Puia, Cereser, Ferrini, Luppi, Crevelli, Bui, Rampanti and, Toschi. The Herald reported, "From the start Rangers were looking for goals as if the world would end at half-time".

Looking and achieving are two different things. Rangers began brightly, the support appreciated the vigour and purpose but lamented the lack of guile. The first period contained two points of report, a John Greig snapshot had Castellini scrambling and an Italian counter attack saw Bui slip a cute ball through to Toschi whose shot beat McCloy. A huge exhalation followed as the ball came off the post. Torino looked a supremely fit side and began to exhibit an increasing arrogance. Fortunately, Dave Smith had the same attitude, intercepting any attacks before they amounted to something more serious. The half-time conversations were mostly based upon our ability to hold to a nil-nil, allowing us to progress on away goals.

The vast majority of worries evaporated within a minute of the restart, Smith checked, passed to McLean and Tam was off on a 60 yard mazy. A couple of yards short of the bye-line, he slung over a low cross. Torino's left back, Fossati lunged to no avail and both centre backs faced their own goal as the ball curled outward, towards an on rushing MacDonald at the back post. Doddie met the ball with his left peg, it hit the underside of the diving Keeper and bounded high into the net. The newspapers agreed MacDonald had "bundled the ball" into the rigging. Ibrox erupted and the Skipper began to gesticulate wildly. The crowd wanted a confirming second, Greig demanded a more mature approach.

Torino made a couple of substitutions, Rossi replaced Fossati and Barberes came on for Bui. The Italians came further forward but were wary of Bud Johnston's pace, he kept them honest. Rangers enjoyed possession knowing Dave Smith was always spare to take a final pass. The Aberdonian was assured and he marshalled both defence and midfield, often barking at a straying MacDonald. Doddie loved a tackle. The last ten minutes were excruciating, Torino were having a go. The final whistle was a relief, every Ranger had ran a most emotional race.

The Italian press were fierce in their criticism of Torino boss, Giagnoni; La Stampa spread it further, claiming both Turin clubs had lost to British opposition because they had failed to utilise their better players. Juve had omitted three regulars from their line up at Molineux whereas Torino had not allowed Mozzini, Zecchin, Pulici and, Sala to kick a ball at Ibrox. The following Sunday saw the Turin Derby, Torino winning 2-1 and, it appeared the omissions listed had more parochial reasoning? Whatever the reason, Rangers 2-1 victory over Torino on aggregate was tellingly significant. 

The Friday afternoon draw for the semi-finals had Rangers, Moscow Dynamo, Bayern Munich and, Berlin Dynamo(East Germany) in the hat. The common acceptance was any of the Dynamos, Bayern could wait until the final. The West Germans were first out, follow followed by Rangers. In eleven short days we were due in Bavaria to face the well kent Franz Beckenbauer, Gerd Muller, Paul Breitner, Uli Hoeness, Sepp Maier, ........................ They had only dismissed ur from European football on three occasions in the last five years, including a one nil loss after extra time in the 1967 European Cup Winners Cup final in Nuremberg. 

I do not intend this next true story to be offensive to any of our German posters. The next day we faced Morton at Ibrox and all discussion on the Tannochside RSC supporters bus was Bayern Munich. The overwhelming consensus was, 'we're fcuked'. One of our older members had served on HMS Suffolk as a Petty Officer during WW2. He stood up in great annoyance and shouted his part during the war concluding, the Suffolk was a Cruiser completely outgunned by the Battleship, Bismark, "we engaged salvo for salvo and we sunk the Bismark". He was cheered and told to stay off the rum ration.

A Twist in the Tail(of the Bank) and an Explosion.

I remained hors de combat although the crutch had been slung. I was told by the Hairmyers Physio to bathe my chipped bone ankle in sea water? Apparently, emptying the salt shaker into a bucket did not replicate. Anyways, the bucket was required for another purpose after Morton's visit to Ibrox. The Pipes and Drums and Military Band of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards had released their take on Amazing Grace and, it was heading for number one like a bullet. The majority of the 18,000 crowd at Ibrox were looking to give Bomber Jackson the bullet when the Referee blew the final whistle.

It had begun so well, Rangers ran out - McCloy, Denny, Mathieson, Conn, Jackson, Smith, Penman, D Johnstone, Stein, A MacDonald and, I MacDonald. Morton lined up - Sorensen, Shevlane, Laughton, Lumsden, Anderson, Rankin, Gillies, Mason, Chalmers, Murphy and, Armstrong. There were four changes in the Rangers team but it was not enough. I remember Eric Sorensen having a good game and Joe Mason strolling it in midfield. Bomber nodded in on the stroke of half time but, the second period saw Chalmers equalise and the game culminated with Bomber once again heading into the same net as his first. An OG had seen us slump to a 1-2 defeat. Adverse results after Euro games is nothing new.

There was no time for lament, the Scottish Cup quarter-final replay against Motherwell was up on Monday evening at Ibrox. On the way to the match, a heated discussion dominated the Tannochside RSC bus, On Wednesday last, 75,000 had crowded into the Stadium for the visit of Torino, 18,000 trapped for Morton on Saturday and, now Monday saw an overcrowded charabanc heading to augment another bumper Ibrox attendance. Officially, it was given as 50,000 plus. An important point was missing from the usual loyal supporters as opposed to part timers argument, three day weeks had just concluded and attending football three times in a week was not every family's priority. Attractive games and opposition was the deciding factor.

Rangers took to the field - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, D Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald and, Johnston. Motherwell were also unchanged from the 2-2 draw at Fir Park nine days before - Fallon, Muir, Whiteford, Forsyth, McCallum, Watson, Campbell, McInally, McCabe, Lawson and, Heron. The inconsistency of this Rangers side could in part be summarised as quick to take action but no so quick to listen. The 'Well triangle of Jim McCabe, Sammy Campbell and, Kirkie Lawson had opened Rangers up twice before at both League and Scottish Cup fixtures at Fir Park in the last month, they did it again in the first minute at Ibrox. A through ball from a quick McCabe - Campbell interchange, saw Lawson dinking McCloy for the opener.

Seven minutes later Rangers forced a corner and John Fallon arrived at the party. A decade at Sellik ensured Fallon was a clear favourite among the Rangers support, his Goalkeeping errors had turned a number of games from losses into draws and, from draws into victories. Fallon punched the corner into the net. Colin Stein was grateful for a hesitant Fallon five minutes after our equaliser, knocking the ball passed 'well's stopper for number two. A quick ripple fire start had seen three goals, it was followed by an explosion. A Calor gas bottle within the Enclosure Pie Stall exploded and both girl workers were injured, one quite seriously. One week prior, the Provisional IRA had detonated a car bomb in Donegal Street, Belfast; murdering seven and injuring 148. By half time, Ibrox was in no doubt, the IRA had bombed the Stadium.

The slow to listen thing struck again just after the hour mark, the claret and amber triumvirate struck again. The arch poacher, Lawson deservedly equalised and the next 15 minutes became cat and mouse. The large crowd was anxious and only partly settled by a Tommy McLean snapshot which beat the Keeper with 15minutes remaining. Colin Stein finished the contest in the 82nd minute and again, John Fallon was partly at fault. Delight at Fallon's performance evaporated when it came through his former club had won their replay at Tynecastle 0-1.

The semi-final draw was conducted the next day and Sellik secured Killie, we got Eddie Turnbull's Hibs. During the month of April'72, we would face a European Cup Winners Cup semi-final against Bayern Munich and a Scottish Cup semi against Edinburgh's green half, as it turned out four sap draining games and something had to give? Five League fixtures had to be played in the same month. Bayern was all that mattered and my Old Man confirmed it when he informed me he had booked up to attend Munich. I was not included because my O' Grades began during the month and he did not want to interrupt my studies. 

I was furious, Bayern was all that mattered.

4 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

A Calor gas bottle within the Enclosure Pie Stall exploded and both girl workers were injured, one quite seriously. One week prior, the Provisional IRA had detonated a car bomb in Donegal Street, Belfast; murdering seven and injuring 148. By half time, Ibrox was in no doubt, the IRA had bombed the Stadium

A similar thing happened,albeit outside football,when me and the better half to be,were waiting inside the old Odeon,Sauchiehall Street,for tickets to see the Exorcist.Suddenly there was a loud explosion and panic ensued with the staff ushering everyone outside saying there had been a bomb.Luckily enough there had not been such but a gas canister in the building site nearby had exploded.Many shocked and scared people but thankfully no injuries.

Similarly the IRA were still active at that time so very scary.

• 2 weeks later...

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

My Old Man went off with an old Regimental Buddy on a three day trip to Munich. On the afternoon of the game, they took in a tour of the Audi factory and were overwhelmed by Teutonic efficiency. As a family, we had progressed by technology provided by Morris, Rover and, Austin. He returned on Thursday late afternoon accompanied by two fixed opinions, our next family car would be an Audi and Rangers had little to no chance of progression in the European Cup Winners Cup semi-final. He had just witnessed Rangers secure a 1-1 draw in the tie's first leg in Germany.

Bayern had as yet to move into their new stadium, the Olympic Park ground was still under construction for the Games only three months away. The old Grunwalder Stadium, shared with TSV 1860 Munich hosted the game. Bayern were on the cusp of a new ground and stratospheric football success. The nucleus of the team were Sepp Maier, Skipper Franz Beckenbauer, centre forward Gerd Muller, centre back Georg Schwarzenbeck, midfielder Uli Hoeness and, right back Paul Breitner. These six players also formed the core of the then all conquering West German national side. Bayern would go on to secure three European Cups in a row(1974-76) and, west Germany would secure the UEFA Euro Championship in 1972 then win the World Cup in 1974.

Rangers record against Bayern was not impressive, we had lost the ECWC Final against the Bavarians(1-0) during extra-time in Nuremberg in 1967 and, then failed to exact revenge in the 1970 UEFA Cup, losing 2-1 on aggregate. We had half-a-dozen players at the Club that had suffered those two set backs, John Greig, Sandy Jardine, Dave Smith, Bud Johnston, Wullie Henderson and, Colin Jackson had as yet to experience a victory over the budding Bundesliga  Champions. The extent of Bayern's dominance of European football would be highlighted a short two weeks after the tie; Gerd Muller would secure the Golden Boot for the second year in a row and Kaiser Franz would be named, European Footballer of the Year.

Due to a Scottish Cup replay against Motherwell, Rangers had crammed three games into five short days and, injuries were taking a toll. The Club needed a break because on the Saturday before the visit to Munich, they were scheduled for a League fixture away at Ayr United. Somerset Park was akin to the Somerset Levels, a sharp downpour making the ground unplayable. Jock Wallace went to Prestwick Airport to catch a ski flight to Austria, his intent was to take in Bayern's German Cup quarter-final against Cologne. Meanwhile, Willie Waddell put the first team squad through a training session at the Albion. Tommy McLean and John Greig missed the session.

Bayern were purring with over confidence, their ten day long fixtures before the semi-final was a Bundesliga victory(0-3) in Stuttgart, seven players in the West German team that defeated Hungary(0-2) in the Euro Championship quarter-final, a 3-0 win over Cologne in the German Cup then, an exhibition match against Benfica in Paris. Playing four games in three different countries in ten days was Blitzkrieg pace. Whilst the Germans were returning from Paris, Rangers settled into their hotel ten miles outside Munich. Captain, John Greig was on the treatment table on Tuesday afternoon when Waddell ushered a couple of dozen Press Hacks into the room. The Manager announced, "This is Greig and he is club Skipper. Look at the cuts and bruises on his legs, he will be playing tomorrow evening". Of course, Waddell had been a Journalist himself and he was encouraging a photo opportunity that would underline Rangers committment.

Bayern's Boss, Udo Lattek was fourteen years younger than his Scot's counterpart but, had similar managerial experience. Lattek settled upon modesty, hoping for similar good fortune they had enjoyed against Rangers in previous encounters. Kaiser Franz over praised the Glasgow club and concluded, "if we do not win by three goals at home, we cannot hope to survive the visit to Ibrox". Gerd Muller was sniggeringly pessimistic, "We can win one nil at home but this Rangers side will go to Barcelona and win the cup". The Bavarian press concluded the game's result was dependent upon where Beckenbauer played, sweeping at the back of the four or, Libero in front?

A capacity 45,000 crowd saw Bayern Munich line up - Maier, Hansen, Breitner, Schwarzenbeck, Beckenbauer, Roth, Krauthausen, Zobel, Muller, Hoeness and, Suchnholz. Rangers ran out - McCloy, Jardine, Mathieson, Greig, Jackson, Smith, McLean, D Johnstone, Stein, MacDonald and, Johnston. My Dad's uber pessimism must have been based on the first half hour? Beckenbauer was prowling in front and, he probed constantly. Muller headed against the bar on the 8th minute, McCloy had been tested by a couple of long drives and, in the 23rd minute Breitner took a pass in the centre circle from Beckenbauer, strode forward to play a one-two with Muller on the edge of the box and, took the return stepping inside Jackson then dinked over a sprawling McCloy into the net from six yards.

The half time was one-zip Bayern. Rangers decided to step forward the entire team 15-20 yards, squeezing Beckenbauer's area of freedom in the second half. DJ was told to man mark Hoeness and, Dave Smith was to sweep behind. It worked wonderfully well. Rangers equalised within five minutes of the restart. Bud gathered the ball in the centre circle and sent the Lone Ranger off down the inside right channel, Stein got ahead of the central defensive pairing and rounded Sepp Maier. He rattled the ball across the six yard line and the unfortunate Zobel met it with his head, bulleting the ball into the pokey. All the match reports agree, Bayern slowly deflated. The Rangers players credit the Jock Wallace inspired levels of fitness garnered from the Gullane Sands.

The last fifteen minutes saw Rangers create three opportunities for an away victory. Billy Mathieson had twice sallied forward to hit a couple of raspers that Maier struggled to turn around the post. Tommy McLean tells of the last minute, Peter McCloy launched a ball the length of the field, Schwazenbeck misheaded and Johnston collected with only Maier to beat, the Referee blew the final whistle. The Scottish press lauded Rangers tactics and applauded their strong finish. Their German equivalents remained calm and, reminded their readers that this Bayern team had already dispatched Czech side, Skoda Plzen, Liverpool and, Steau Bucharest from the tournament. 

Several years later, I reminded my Old Man of his prediction and asked him for his basis? I was home on leave and we were enjoying a quiet drink in the village local, generally a relaxed atmosphere. He began, "don't tell your Mum". The story was the Audi visit, after the tour and mentioning they were intent on attending that evening's game; Audi invited both to the factory canteen where a pre-match meal was being served, with beer. A couple of coaches transferred the dining several dozen including Dad and mate to the ground. A Stand ticket was issued as they alighted the bus, inside the ground the Paulaner beer kept flowing. Dad admitted he had no memory of the second half, including the Rangers equaliser.

He remembered the factory tour much better, by the end of summer the Austin Maxi was traded in for a beige Audi 100 GL Saloon. Dad swore the end of the tour was a lounge serving beer which included a 1932 photograph of Adolph Hitler behind the wheel of his personal car, a burgundy Audi Rambler.