Sevilla Star Suffers Heart Attack

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/6964586.stm

Spain international Antonio Puerta is in a serious condition after suffering a heart attack in Sevilla's 4-1 Primera Liga win against Getafe on Saturday.

The 22-year-old suffered problems midway through the first-half on the opening day of the season in Spain.

Medics prevented Puerta from swallowing his tongue, but he collapsed again after going off and was given cardiac resuscitation before going to hospital.

A medical report on Sunday said Puerta was in intensive care in hospital.

But Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido said doctors were becoming more optimistic.

"The player's life was saved thanks to the rapid intervention of the club doctors and the Red Cross because he had a number of cardiac arrests," del Nido was quoted as saying on the club's website after visiting Puerta on Sunday.

"Despite the severity of the situation his situation appears to be evolving favourably and the doctors are becoming more optimistic."

Puerta collapsed after jogging back towards his own goal 35 minutes into the game at the Sanchez Pizjuan on Saturday.

Team mates and medical staff rushed to his side and were seen preventing him from swallowing his tongue as he lost consciousness.

He was able to walk from the pitch but doctors said that he collapsed again in the changing rooms and had to be given cardiac resuscitation before being taken to hospital.

AC Milan, Sevilla's opponents in Friday's European Super Cup issued a statement on Sunday wishing the player a speedy recovery.

Team-mate Ivica Dragutinovic was first to Puerta's aid and midfielder Renato said: "We were very frightened, but the doctors knew what they were doing.

"It was difficult to continue playing. This victory is dedicated to Puerta."

Sevilla coach Juande Ramos was in no mood to talk about his side's victory after the match.

"I don't have the mind to speak now. The reason I am here is because we are all professionals, but I have no desire to talk of the game or anything," Ramos said.

"I would like to see the player. The game does not have any importance compared with the health of a player."

Complete shame, and a bit out of the blue for one so young.

A horrible thing to happen. I wish the guy all the best.

Unfortunately i had the horrible experience of a seventeen year old boy die at my feet during a football match. I was playing sweeper and he was CH and at a corner for us i asked him to move up to about 30 yards from the goal to maybe give him a chance to shoot if the ball was headed out. He turned to me and tried to say something and then collapsed. We tried to resuscitate him for about 30 mins until an ambulance crew took over but to no avail. We later learned the main artery to his heart had blown up like a balloon and burst and no medical help could have saved him in time.

A memory that will live with me for ever.

Awful news.

Apparently he's had some problems in the past not feeling well after training, so its very strange its not been picked up on. Having said that, even ECGs only show so much, there's always the risk from something congenital or a heart attack being brought on by something during exercise which you just can't legislate for.

Not a good week for Football, QPR player losing his life, a Leicester player collapsing last night, Neil Mccann and Kieron Dyer suffering horrendous injuries aswell ?!?!?

Don't forget a 16 year old Walsall apprentice died in training last week too.

WTF is going on that 3 players in a week have had heart attacks? Madness!

And then there was Clive Clarke last night who collapsed in the tunnel at HT in the match between Nottm Forest and Leicester.

He's doing OK now. Personally I think they're getting worked to hard in training by the coaches and their bodies can't handle it.

Guest SerbianLoyal

R.I.P. Antonio...

Also, striker of Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Chaswe Nsofwa, which played in the Second division in Israel, died after the collapsing during training...