[FT] Rangers 1 (Tavernier 87' pen) - 3 Ajax

Some points to remember about tonight and they apply to much of the group stage.

We played with two young centre backs tonight. I rank them as 5th and 6th choice in that position. I don't believe that Sands has a future in that position and both are below par in physical stature.

We also played with Davis in midfield. He obviously still has some quality but, given that he is in his late 40's now, is also far down the pecking order.

We are not playing these players by design. We have taken some risks with the squad that have not worked out. We have also made some bad recruitment decisions.

30 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

I'm still behind Gio 100%. I do not believe anyone could do any better with the players who were available.   WATP

What about a manager that can make better signings? Gio said he was happy with this squad, he should have been busting down doors and telling people we need more quality and quantity.

36 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

We were a spot kick away from beating Frankfurt, who have since qualified for the CL last-16.

We've been embarrassed.

I don't expect us to win every game, merely put up a fight (that could still involve finishing 4th). 

GvB should've been able to do that - he did it last year, although now I'm thinking it's because of the work SG did - but he hasn't.

Your financial gulf argument doesn't cut it. 

Plzen put up more of a fight with less resources. 

I can most definitely blame the manager. 

A different manager puts up more of a fight - I know SG would.

We need to stop talking about Gerrard. He’s gone, isn’t ever coming back, he achieved one success and failed in every other

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

The team had no momentum when Gerrard left. None at all. 

I think it's fair to say Gerrard had already checked out, but that team was Gerard's. This team is largely still Gerard's because most of our new signings don't get a look in.

3 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

I think it's fair to say Gerrard had already checked out, but that team was Gerard's. This team is largely still Gerard's because most of our new signings don't get a look in.

They certainly were Gerrard’s team but they had absolutely no momentum. The team was already a shadow of the 55 season. 

24 minutes ago, PoohBear said:

What about a manager that can make better signings? Gio said he was happy with this squad, he should have been busting down doors and telling people we need more quality and quantity.

The DoF identifies and signs players not the manager. Gio is a coach and is there to coach the players available to him. He cannot speak out against the board, or burst down their door.