The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

In an ideal world, I'd like to have seen more players leave and one or two more brought in but if we feel we can do better business in the summer then c'est la vie.

Particularly excited by Raskin as I feel he's exactly what we need in the midfield: bite, energy and hard work.

Otherwise we largely go with what we have. Cantwell should help off the right side whilst we can only hope other players such as Roofe, Yilmaz, Souttar and Lawrence can contribute more towards this season and the future. A lot of work to do in the summer window though.

28 minutes ago, Frankie said:

In an ideal world, I'd like to have seen more players leave and one or two more brought in but if we feel we can do better business in the summer then c'est la vie.

Particularly excited by Raskin as I feel he's exactly what we need in the midfield: bite, energy and hard work.

Otherwise we largely go with what we have. Cantwell should help off the right side whilst we can only hope other players such as Roofe, Yilmaz, Souttar and Lawrence can contribute more towards this season and the future. A lot of work to do in the summer window though.

We've added two players who improve the starting 11 (hopefully). That is something we haven't done much in recent years, and especially not with players who have their best years ahead of them. 

As things stand now, Goalkeeper is the main priority for the summer. And the uncertainty around Kent and Morelos will determine what the next priority is. We still lack goalscorers behind the striker and that's hopefully something that we can address in the summer. 

Edited by DMAA

From what I can tell Lawrence is still a way away.  Kamara looks like he is regaining form.  Let's hope Lundstram recovers and gets back to his best.  Beale said a few weeks ago that he wants to give Sands a run at DM as it would be unfair to judge him when he has not been playing in his best position.  I reckon 2 out of 3 from Davis, Arfield and Jack will go so right now there are uncertainties about defensive midfield.  We definitely need at least 2 keepers, a centre half and a quality striker added to the potential cost of buying Sands and Tillman.  We cannot possibly do all of that in one go on our budget.  My main concern, apart from the financials, is the lack of height in the team in midfield and forward line coupled with our inability to deal with high balls in the penalty box. Whittaker would have been a good buy on a number of levels.  We definitely need to utilise Tillman's ability in that regard much more in both boxes.

18 minutes ago, DMAA said:

That is something we haven't done much in recent years, and especially not with players who have their best years ahead of them

On this point, you could argue that the signings of Lundstram, Davies, Lawrence and Colak all improved the starting 11. But they are all in their late twenties with no real sell-on value.

Raskin is the first signing of its kind arguably since Aribo potentially. Straight into the 11 and very young, with high sell-on potential. Yilmaz will hopefully be similar, and Tillman!

Edited by DMAA

5 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

Beale said a few weeks ago that he wants to give Sands a run at DM

The stats I’ve seen on Sands as a DM are not promising. I do wonder if they erroneously included his games at centre back though, which would heavily skew the stats. But they basically showed that he is good defensively but has extremely low contribution creatively. 

57 minutes ago, DMAA said:

On this point, you could argue that the signings of Lundstram, Davies, Lawrence and Colak all improved the starting 11. But they are all in their late twenties with no real sell-on value.

Raskin is the first signing of its kind arguably since Aribo potentially. Straight into the 11 and very young, with high sell-on potential. Yilmaz will hopefully be similar, and Tillman!

I could never understand why Yilmaz didn't immediately take the LB slot. Maybe it was a settling in thing but nothing usually speeds up settling in than knowing you are first choice.

1 hour ago, Blue Moon said:

My main concern ........ is the lack of height in the team in midfield and forward line coupled with our inability to deal with high balls in the penalty box. 

Good point

2 hours ago, Bill said:

I could never understand why Yilmaz didn't immediately take the LB slot. Maybe it was a settling in thing but nothing usually speeds up settling in than knowing you are first choice.

From memory, I think Barisic caught form at that time. He’s also top for assists this season and doing well in a range of stats.
Yilmaz impressed me though and I think he’ll improve us when he starts playing.