• Fashion Sakala
    • Alfredo Morelos
    • Steven Davis
    • Scott Arfield
    • Scott Wright
    • Rabbi Matondo
    • Ben Davies

9 minutes ago, CammyF said:

MB said in his post-match press-conference that Devine played well especially 2nd half (same can be said for all players) but Devine's role in the squad this season is to push Tav as Patterson did - this benefits everyone and pushes both on and up a level. 

I can see Yilmaz been told the same (when he's fit) that his job is to push Borna. During close season Borna told the club he'd move on if it was beneficial to the club (getting a transfer fee) but was happy to stay. 

Regarding Devine and Yilmaz being more dynamic than Borna, and it's a matter of opinion, but can't say / see how that can be judged when they've both played so little (couple of games each). 

Whatever we've paid out for Yilmaz was a significant fee for a "project" player and only time will tell if it was money well spent.

I would like to see Devine over Tavernier for a few games: Tavernier needs the rest and I'd like to see Devine on his proper side. 

I agree that Barisic is still the number one. I just feel it's time to replace him; not righ this moment, but going into the next season, I'd like to see someone else pushing him.  

I don't think it's a matter of opinion at all. Not only have they (Devine and Yilmaz) looked more willing to run and beat a man - albeit in few games - it's been clear since he signed that Barisic is a bit more one-dimensional; he likes to cross that ball. That's just their games. That's not a comment on their quality. 

It was indeed a significant fee. 

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

It find it funny how little so many of us believe in Borna. He is a Croatian international and World Cup semi-finalist. 

During the WC break I watched some old YouTube videos of our European runs under SG and Gio and forgot just how many goals Borna was involved in. Same when I watch the 55 season. 

There is no doubt Borna is a confidence player, but on his game his delivery is the best we have at our club.

I like Borna but it could be because the vast majority of his appearances consist of passing the ball backwards from the touchline and his defensive play is often abysmal. There was a good reason why Bassey was able to take his place at LB and I don't doubt a fit Yilmaz will do the same. Imo Borna has it in him to be a very good player and occasionally he shows us with excellent performances but the downside far outweighs these sporadic contributions. I think it's imperative we strengthen our defensive abilities and that's unlikely to be done with Borna in the team. He has never looked to me like someone with the heart of a natural Rangers player. The solution has always been in his own hands if he wants to use it.

As for the WC, anything Borna takes home will be due to his team mates rather than anything he did.