• Fashion Sakala
    • Alfredo Morelos
    • Steven Davis
    • Scott Arfield
    • Scott Wright
    • Rabbi Matondo
    • Ben Davies

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

It find it funny how little so many of us believe in Borna. He is a Croatian international and World Cup semi-finalist. 

During the WC break I watched some old YouTube videos of our European runs under SG and Gio and forgot just how many goals Borna was involved in. Same when I watch the 55 season. 

There is no doubt Borna is a confidence player, but on his game his delivery is the best we have at our club.

For me it's because he's an average defender and his offensive output mainly consists of crosses. He's not the most dynamic. 

I agree he is a confidence player, and his crosses can be top class. 

At 30, though, I'd like to see us move on from depending on him. 

9 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Makes you wonder why we spent so much on a LB when we have problems elsewhere. 

LB was an area we absolutely had to strengthen. 

We only had an out-of-form Barisic. 

Devine is playing out of position, remember.

5 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

For me it's because he's an average defender and his offensive output mainly consists of crosses. He's not the most dynamic. 

I agree he is a confidence player, and his crosses can be top class. 

At 30, though, I'd like to see us move on from depending on him. 

I agree he is an average defender but your 1st point was how MB deployed his full-backs in more advanced areas. 

In my opinion Borna is ideal for that position. His deliveries are far more dangerous if he is in advanced areas.

He is 30, but with age comes vast experience and a knowledge of the game and his position in the team.

I have no issues with either Devine of Yilmaz but for me Borna is (well) ahead of them as 1st choice left back.

20 hours ago, Bill said:

Close call but Jack for me. He had an average first half and misplaced a couple of passes but pretty much ran the show after half time. steadied he defence them moved further forward, scored a goal. And 90 minutes. 

It would be brilliant if Jack somehow had some luck with injuries in the second half of the season. We are a much better team with him playing. 

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

I agree he is an average defender but your 1st point was how MB deployed his full-backs in more advanced areas. 

In my opinion Borna is ideal for that position. His deliveries are far more dangerous if he is in advanced areas.

He is 30, but with age comes vast experience and a knowledge of the game and his position in the team.

I have no issues with either Devine of Yilmaz but for me Borna is (well) ahead of them as 1st choice left back.

I don't disagree.

I just feel he's not as dynamic as I'd like from a FB; both Devine and Yilmaz look more dynamic in the little they've played. 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Aye but £4.5m?

£3.5m going up to £5m with add-ons, was it not? 

If your point is we've spent too much in that area, fair enough. That's a matter of opinion. I wouldn't disagree with you. 

We still had to strengthen LB after losing Bassey. 

8 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I don't disagree.

I just feel he's not as dynamic as I'd like from a FB; both Devine and Yilmaz look more dynamic in the little they've played. 

MB said in his post-match press-conference that Devine played well especially 2nd half (same can be said for all players) but Devine's role in the squad this season is to push Tav as Patterson did - this benefits everyone and pushes both on and up a level. 

I can see Yilmaz been told the same (when he's fit) that his job is to push Borna. During close season Borna told the club he'd move on if it was beneficial to the club (getting a transfer fee) but was happy to stay. 

Regarding Devine and Yilmaz being more dynamic than Borna, and it's a matter of opinion, but can't say / see how that can be judged when they've both played so little (couple of games each). 

Whatever we've paid out for Yilmaz was a significant fee for a "project" player and only time will tell if it was money well spent.