Excellent Article

I have to ask in the interests of a balanced debate what is sectarian about FTQ? Her Majesty is not the leader of a religion or sect!

she's the royal defender of the protestant faith in britain.

I reneged from getting involved in this discussion as well but i couldn't help thinking on the old joke about a Protestant,Jew and a Muslim entering the pearly gates and getting a tour of heaven.

St Peter explained in that part the Jews live,over there the Protestants and all religions are spread through the whole of heaven.

On seeing a huge brick wall they looked confused and asked what was behind it. Oh that's the Catholics he said, they like to think they live alone up here.

BC seemed to be a good guy for a while but as they say a leopard can't change their spots.

"Defender of the faith" is a very ironic title as it was originally given to Henry VIII by the Pope for heavy handedly using his army to suppressing the Protestant reformation in England.

Well that's what I've heard anyway.

But since Henry VIII told the Pope where to go so he could have a divorce, the monarch of England has been the head of the Anglican Church, which is a "quasi" protestant church.

You could say that being against the Pope is political too, as there has always been political infuence from the Vatican on anywhere with large numbers of Catholics.

The political situation in Ireland seems to me to be highly based on Catholic unification of the island of Hibernia.

In fact, that would explain why the religion and politics is so mixed in with the OF rivalry.

^ yeah, i dont think the queen's actually truly representative, or the head of, or the defender of anything like protestantism, or anything. i couldnt even properly be described as a protestant. just that, simply by having that title, whatever it means, it could be described as sectarian to say FTQ - and who could argue sayings its all just words?

One wonders what the difference in attitude in the USA would be between F.T.P. and F. the President???

I wonder which they would see as more serious? And what would be the reaction to booing their national anthem and flag?

Most countries would be appalled by such behaviour but not only are Celtic getting away with it scot-free, they have the arrogance to say that it should be encouraged as part of their heritage because it's not religious!!!

There is also the interpretation that FTQ could be racist against the British people.