Today's rumour: Chris Willock

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I agree, and that sort of proves my point that the DoF didn't have as much control as he should. 

I don't think managers should be using their connections - or, at least only as part of the strategy already in place. 

If Gio didnt use his Spanish or Dutch connections at all.... wouldnt it actually suggest the opposite... that these were coming from the DoF ?

13 hours ago, craig said:

If Gio didnt use his Spanish or Dutch connections at all.... wouldnt it actually suggest the opposite... that these were coming from the DoF ?

He signed players that he wanted, just because they didn't come from certain countries doesn't mean he didn't. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

He signed players that he wanted, just because they didn't come from certain countries doesn't mean he didn't. 

No doubt. But did he sign them from a pre existing scouting list or was he able to identify players that weren't previously known/rated by the club to fit into his clear and concise footballing philosophy?

I think we all know the answer.

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

No doubt. But did he sign them from a pre existing scouting list or was he able to identify players that weren't previously known/rated by the club to fit into his clear and concise footballing philosophy?

I think we all know the answer.

I don't think we know the answer at all. 

That's part of the problem.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think we know the answer at all. 

That's part of the problem.

I think we can assume for the most part Gio was clueless when it came to signings. He was used to working in a more rigid DoF model at Feyenoord where the football operations identify and shortlist players and then submit to the head coach for final approval (watch the Feyenoord - that one word documentary for an example on how they got a striker for Advocaat).

Beale has already demonstrated he operates with more freedom when it comes to looking at players.

7 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I think we can assume for the most part Gio was clueless when it came to signings. He was used to working in a more rigid DoF model at Feyenoord where the football operations identify and shortlist players and then submit to the head coach for final approval (watch the Feyenoord - that one word documentary for an example on how they got a striker for Advocaat).

Beale has already demonstrated he operates with more freedom when it comes to looking at players.

You seem to be saying GvB was useless because he was picking from a pre-existing scouting list AND/OR he's useless because he's had too much freedom when he's actually used to a mode rigid DoF model such as at Feyenoord. 

Surely both can't be true?

Or I'm conflating ideas?

17 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

You seem to be saying GvB was useless because he was picking from a pre-existing scouting list AND/OR he's useless because he's had too much freedom when he's actually used to a mode rigid DoF model such as at Feyenoord. 

Surely both can't be true?

Or I'm conflating ideas?

No - I'm saying he was useless because he has not enough ideas for looking at his own players then resorted to looking at someone else's list and picking round pegs for square holes in terms of signings.

22 hours ago, Frankie said:

I think it's inevitable a manager will bring in players he knows.

There has to be a balance though - one or two is fine in agreement with the Sporting Director but much more then it undermines the scouting operation.

Correct, just have to look across the city to see what can be achieved.

Most of their signings have either worked for or played against their manager.