The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yilmaz had absolutely nothing to do with some of the downright disgraceful ‘performances’ Barisic put in last season. 

I genuinely couldn’t care less about his elite level crossing for SPL standards. Give me a Papac who can defend any day of the week.

Our capitulations at Scumhut and home to Liverpool Barisic was his usual self. A

decent cross v St Mirren changes nothing.

Papac whilst being a great defender also cost us goals - he was suspect to the ball in behind him. I remember McGregor going mental at him on many occasions. Don't believe? Go watch some footage of his time at Rangers and you'll see he was also at fault for losing goals. I say that as a fan of Papac. 

Defenders and keepers are blamed for conceding goals, it's inevitable and no defender is exempt from making mistakes that cost goals.

Borna has had poor games and he's had good games. Also, his crossing ability isn't just restricted to SPFL, he's done at European level. To imply otherwise I just churlish (watch Alfies 2 goals away to Feyenoord as an example).

4 hours ago, buster. said:

You should get a job as a tabloid headline maker.

Eight figures in your estimation perhaps but not in the real world of football clubs.

And.... that will be YOUR opinion.  Right ?  So rather than trying to belittle someone, maybe come at it slightly differently - your opinion is that he wasnt worth 10 mill at any point in time - my opinion is that he was, an opinion borne out by another member of the forum - or are you conveniently forgetting that he had a better than decent Euro 2020 for his country too ?

"Real world of football clubs" - lol, as if YOU have operated in the real world of football clubs - quite the egotistical shite there from you.

25 minutes ago, yuddie said:

In that football world where Elis Simms is going for £8m? Or Kamara himself being picked up for £50k (I think).

It's early days I know but could Souttar start and stay in the XI if we play with a back 4? His passing is as good as Goldsons and looks an excellent defender albeit domestically.

Not overly enamoured with a possible move to a back 3, its not like our current centre back pool is extraordinary. I'd be happier if it was a 4 at the back when defending and possibly a back 3 when in possession rather than 3 cb's from the outset, even then I think it would be unnecessary for 80% of our games.

Apparently the real world of football clubs is the eminent domain of buster - he knows more about them you see well... well... just because he says so 🙄

27 minutes ago, yuddie said:

In that football world where Elis Simms is going for £8m? Or Kamara himself being picked up for £50k (I think).

It's early days I know but could Souttar start and stay in the XI if we play with a back 4? His passing is as good as Goldsons and looks an excellent defender albeit domestically.

Not overly enamoured with a possible move to a back 3, its not like our current centre back pool is extraordinary. I'd be happier if it was a 4 at the back when defending and possibly a back 3 when in possession rather than 3 cb's from the outset, even then I think it would be unnecessary for 80% of our games.

Souttar looks very decent - sure, had a clanger at the back end of last season, but with a run of games I think he would be an excellent defender for us.

3 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Papac whilst being a great defender also cost us goals - he was suspect to the ball in behind him. I remember McGregor going mental at him on many occasions. Don't believe? Go watch some footage of his time at Rangers and you'll see he was also at fault for losing goals. I say that as a fan of Papac. 

Defenders and keepers are blamed for conceding goals, it's inevitable and no defender is exempt from making mistakes that cost goals.

Borna has had poor games and he's had good games. Also, his crossing ability isn't just restricted to SPFL, he's done at European level. To imply otherwise I just churlish (watch Alfies 2 goals away to Feyenoord as an example).

You’ve lost me Cammy. Are you telling me Barisic is as good a defender as Papac?

12 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yilmaz had absolutely nothing to do with some of the downright disgraceful ‘performances’ Barisic put in last season. 

I genuinely couldn’t care less about his elite level crossing for SPL standards. Give me a Papac who can defend any day of the week.

Our capitulations at Scumhut and home to Liverpool Barisic was his usual self. A

decent cross v St Mirren changes nothing.

And that, right there, is why it very much depends on the Manager/coach.  Depends on what they want out of players.  Beale may prefer someone who can overlap and cross as opposed to predominantly defend.  Which is also why, in part, we get on the "FFS Tav" bus - is Tav a good defender ?  Not particularly.  But if the manager wants his attacking output and is prepared to accept his defensive frailties then we, as fans, have little option but to accept it, obviously.

Lol.  Are you seriously singling out Barisic for Liverpool at home ?  You could run through pretty much the whole team that night.....

Just now, Sutton_blows_goats said:

You’ve lost me Cammy. Are you telling me Barisic is as good a defender as Papac?

Nope - just that Papac, as good as he was also cost us goals as did the likes Numan, Gary Steven, Stuart Munro et al. All great defenders, and all cost us goals. 

There is no escaping the fact the Borna is an experienced football player who is constantly picked for both club and Country. Surely all those managers that continue to select him aren't wrong in their assessment of Bornas abilities? 

2 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Nope - just that Papac, as good as he was also cost us goals as did the likes Numan, Gary Steven, Stuart Munro et al. All great defenders, and all cost us goals. 

There is no escaping the fact the Borna is an experienced football player who is constantly picked for both club and Country. Surely all those managers that continue to select him aren't wrong in their assessment of Bornas abilities? 

Borna has hardly played for Croatia recently behind Borna Sosa a left winger for Stuttgart who is just ok and a 35 year old Perisic who until recently played as a forward. Tbh the croatia international thing is overplayed in defence of him. They have little or no options at left back. 

11 minutes ago, craig said:

Souttar looks very decent - sure, had a clanger at the back end of last season, but with a run of games I think he would be an excellent defender for us.

From what I saw of Souttar last season, he looks more comfortable against a big burly CF than against a quick forward. That means for most SPFL games, he'll be fine.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised by his quality of passing. 

9 minutes ago, craig said:

Lol.  Are you seriously singling out Barisic for Liverpool at home ?  You could run through pretty much the whole team that night.....

Absolutely, but Barisic running away from Salah letting him do whatever he wanted that night will enrage me for ever more.

Yeah Salah is a good player but that’s no excuse for just standing off and letting him run away. There are too many examples of Barisic doing similar especially at Parkhead where he is prone to a vanishing act.