1 hour ago, CammyF said:

One does wonder how much those loans cost us tho. 🤔 

Good question. Loan deals might not appear as assets on the balance sheet but they sure as hell contribute to debt.

On 11/07/2023 at 14:25, yuddie said:

I'm ready to take some flack for this take but I geniunely thought Ryan Kent had the talent to be a modern great for Rangers. I'm 26 and really started following the club during McLeish and in that time I'd still say he's one of the most talented we've had, we just haven't had players who could go to a place like Dortmund and skin a defence with Hummels and Akanji  in it for 90 mins, certainly in the last 20 years.

Fans will always hold the transfer fee against him which I don't agree with but can understand, but he definitely could have done more with the ability he had.

Wanted to say this as a few fans think he was a waste of a shirt, although he definitely could've done a lot more with his ability.

I’m very much on the other side of the fence with Kent and always have been. Not a dud by any means, but £7m was daylight robbery and I said so at the time. Celtic got Jota for £6.5m who was a far better player, everything Kent was made out to be. 

There was something about Kent that caused people to believe he had far more potential and ability than he ever had. Probably because he produced flashes of brilliance occasionally. It was a very popular belief initially that he would be sold for £20 and was destined for the EPL. Couldn’t believe how many people said that when we signed him. The result was that a lot of people turned on him a bit and felt he was never fulfilling his potential, or worse, not trying. The irony is that because I didn’t rate him that highly from the start, I never doubted his attitude and effort and his performance rarely surprised me. He was fine at our level but not a star, and he was capable of very good performances but simply not capable of that weekly in our league. 

Edited by DMAA

Name three ... well, two of my choices were effectively "failures" rather than "duds" in terms of return compared to fee involved, namely Rozenthal and Salenko. Obviously, both also suffered from injury and having quality players around them who hit better form and thus played more often too. The one guy who really f@cked it up was Carlos Pena, who IMHO showed signs of his quality in the few minutes that he did play.

A few others IMHO simply suffered from our truly woeful tactical approach in so many games these last ten years or so, but that would lead too far. Likewise, dozens of mediocre players never hit the heights that you would expect from a Rangers team, but came when a club in need called them.

That all said, given the signings we made these last six months or so, I'd rather look to the future and the season ahead, who promises to be one of the finest in years - if these players step up and fulfill the expectations.