[FT] Rangers 1 (Lammers 64) - 2 Newcastle United

31 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There's a really weird obsession with his height.  Is this peculiar to Scotland?

Carragher was convinced Martinez wouldn't cut it at Man Utd because he was small. 

It's just a 'Da' response, for me. 

15 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

Does he bring energy or does he just run around a bit with no real purpose? Borna is only useful in the opposition's half, his defending is continually poor. He needs replaced, but not with Ridvan who seems equally hopeless in either half. 

He's got good pace, good link-up and good passing. 

He can always improve his crossing. 

He's ahead of Barisic, for me. 

Taking anything substantial from friendly matches is a fool's errand but until almost every player was replaced, it was a fairly competitive game. Newcastle where the better side but in the end we can consider ourselves unlucky to lose. Positives and negatives to consider!

In the first half, I thought Dowell and Cantwell were busy and will link well against easier opposition. Lammers and Sima struggled to get into the game but there were glimpses of what they can do. I also thought Davies and Souttar defended quite well. Jack and Lundstram didn't seem to know where they were playing and we left far too much space in wide areas, despite neither Tav or Barisic being able to get forward.

Second half is difficult to analyse given all the changes but Raskin immediately stood out when he came on and I again liked the intent of Ridvan but his crossing was poor. Yfeko had an decent cameo late on too whilst Balogun did largely fine but both were culpable at the winner. Hagi also showed up well in a deeper role whilst Lowry looked bright too and was unlucky not to equalise.

All things considered, plenty food for thought for the manager. I'm not sure the main system worked all that well but Sima is unlikely to be the focal point going forward anyway. More time needed for other relationships to develop and I think adding Cifuentes will be useful. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I like the look of big Yfeko. I'd like to see more of him this season. He could be another Bassey. 

I think that was the intention with comparisons fairly obvious given his size and left-sided nature but he struggled for the B team last season.  Maybe just took some time to settle as he certainly looked capable enough last night.

Dowell looked like a good passer, but not the most mobile; although, perhaps it's because he's not match fit?

I wonder if he'd be better playing at DM as a deep-lying playmaker, dictating play, etc. which would free up a place for Raskin as an #8 so he can use his energy to get about; he does score goals when playing for Belgium U21s in a more advanced position.   

I thought Dowell did look pretty mobile; same with Lundstram last night actually. Problem was, neither looked like they knew where they should be playing and ended up in some strange positions.

If, as seems likely, we sign Cifu, I don't think Dowell will be a starter as the season goes on but that's the kind of competition for places we need in the squad.

It will also depend on the system we use as Dowell can play further forward or in wider positions, something I thought Cantwell struggled a wee bit with last night.

4 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I thought Dowell did look pretty mobile; same with Lundstram last night actually. Problem was, neither looked like they knew where they should be playing and ended up in some strange positions.

If, as seems likely, we sign Cifu, I don't think Dowell will be a starter as the season goes on but that's the kind of competition for places we need in the squad.

It will also depend on the system we use as Dowell can play further forward or in wider positions, something I thought Cantwell struggled a wee bit with last night.

Dowell's the next Pirlo!

Stop screwing up me dreams!