Your expectations

For this season, the minimum must be the title.  We need to win this, and I firmly believe we can.  I know the performances havent been that great in pre season, but midfield and attack I think we will be strong, with not just starting quality, but also in depth across most of those positions.

The concern is still defence.  I think Yilmaz has the potential to be our starting LB, but a few dodgy moments in pre season is beginning to make me doubt this.  We also need another centre half through the door, as we saw in the Hoffenheim game, we ended up with no centre halfs finishing the game!

Regarding Europe, I don't really care what competition we end up in, what I want us to do is maximise the amount of co efficient points available, to help our chances of qualifying for the club world cup, as that would be a major boost for the club financially.

The team is going to take time to gel, so we need to have some patience while they get to know each other etc.

1 hour ago, the gunslinger said:

nothing less than global domination

A worthy ambition, which, is, of course, shared. 

How long should we be prepared wait for its realisation?

For instance, I should like to see it achieved before Scottish independence. 

Others might not have such patience. 

Just now, Uilleam said:

A worthy ambition, which, is, of course, shared. 

How long should we be prepared wait for its realisation?

For instance, I should like to see it achieved before Scottish independence. 

Others might not have such patience. 

couple ah weeks

On 31/07/2023 at 12:47, Bobtap said:

Regarding Europe, I don't really care what competition we end up in, what I want us to do is maximise the amount of co efficient points available, to help our chances of qualifying for the club world cup, as that would be a major boost for the club financially.

We have exceeded expectations in Europe for a few seasons now (certainly the last 2) so we are due a bump back to reality. If it happens we shouldn't be too despondent and instead focus on domestic success.

On 31/07/2023 at 12:47, Bobtap said:

The concern is still defence.

I'm still not sure, despite our spending that we will be more clinical in the final 3rd. I hope we are. We need to be. Far too wasteful in front of goal last season, all the cutting edge of a pillow.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

Lots of new players this can now be considered the manager’s squad he will get the plaudits if it goes well god help him if it goes tits up .

We still haven’t addressed the problems of the full back positions that will be costly as the season rolls on as for the new lads we can only hope they all gel and play to whatever system the manager plays, would be nice to win some silverware and a wee run in Europe to earn much needed money we know who we have to better and these games will be crucial in instilling confidence in our squad.

mon the gers :rfc:

4 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

We have exceeded expectations in Europe for a few seasons now (certainly the last 2) so we are due a bump back to reality. If it happens we shouldn't be too despondent and instead focus on domestic success.

I'm still not sure, despite our spending that we will be more clinical in the final 3rd. I hope we are. We need to be. Far too wasteful in front of goal last season, all the cutting edge of a pillow.

Agree re europe, but still think we are capable of a decent run in the Europa.  Coefficient points are the same for a win etc, and likely have more chance in that competition that the champs league.

Tbh, I think I’ve seen enough little glimpses of a few of the players to think they will be a quality additions.  The only one I haven’t been too impressed with is Dessers, but I’m not going to judge any of them in pre season.

2 hours ago, Bobtap said:

Agree re europe, but still think we are capable of a decent run in the Europa.  Coefficient points are the same for a win etc, and likely have more chance in that competition that the champs league.

Tbh, I think I’ve seen enough little glimpses of a few of the players to think they will be a quality additions.  The only one I haven’t been too impressed with is Dessers, but I’m not going to judge any of them in pre season.

I do like your positive sentiments but, in all honesty and on the basis of what we've seen so far, I'm struggling to understand anyone being impressed with Sima.

29 minutes ago, Bill said:

I do like your positive sentiments but, in all honesty and on the basis of what we've seen so far, I'm struggling to understand anyone being impressed with Sima.

I think with Sima it’s confidence over ability.  I should have mentioned him in the not too impressed with list.  There is a player there, he was cracking at slavia, but need to see how he gets on the first few games.