'The Rangersââ?¬â?¢ ââ?¬â?? Our Identity Explored

http://www.gersnetonline.net/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=519&Itemid=1

Co-written with D'Artagnan

One cannot go one week in Scotland without some faux moral objector highlighting problems within the Rangers support with regard to their traditions and background.

Letââ?¬â?¢s be straight ââ?¬â?? Rangers are a club with a Protestant identity. Whilst such associations may well be decreasing and whilst their overall affect on the club is indeed debatable, this is something we neither need to be ashamed of or deny in the fact of constant attack on our club.

Those pioneering young rowers who came down from the Gare Loch did not start a football club with a religious focus ââ?¬â?? letââ?¬â?¢s be in no doubt about that. But from the 1890ââ?¬â?¢s onwards, events in Glasgow caused the Protestant population to search for a football club which reflected their religion, their culture and perhaps even their political persuasion. Even so the choosing of Rangers as the vehicle of that expression had more to do with geography and existing transport links than anything else from our humble origins.

Of course it was not just the supporters who shaped that identity - men like John Ure Primrose who, as well as being Rangers chairman, was Lord Provost of Glasgow (and who incidentally shared a platform with Lord Edward Carson who organised the opposition to the Home Rule Bill in Ireland) certainly helped mould Rangers� Protestant identity. Through the years other admirable men such as Bill Struth and Willie Waddell carried on those traditions and Protestantism (and Unionism) have always played a part in the way our club has been run.

Some may say that wasn�t always a good thing and they may well have been right. Alleged unofficial signing policies and less tolerant attitudes of the last century may not have been restricted to our club but to deny there may well have been such negative aspects of our past would be churlish and certainly unrepresentative of true debate. Of course, it�s certainly easy to criticise our past but it�s much more positive and constructive to look to the future.

Rangers are an inclusive club these days ââ?¬â?? from the support, to the team, to all aspects of the club. However a significant number of people still see Rangers as the expression of that Protestant identity in Scotland.

That does not mean that Protestant Rangers fans are part of a ââ?¬Ë?higher orderââ?¬â?¢ of fan or see others as lesser than themselves. Nor is it necessary to be a practising Protestant to celebrate Rangers Protestant identity; in fact itââ?¬â?¢s not necessary to have any prior Protestant connections whatsoever. All creeds and colours are welcome - as it should be!

Nonetheless we need not shy away from our Protestant identity or its expressions. It can be argued that it was our Protestant identity which, along with other factors, shaped our club into one of the most successful in the world. It could also be said that our conduct as a club, often at times reflecting that identity, has helped us maintain our dignity in the face of ridicule and criticism. Perhaps even to our detriment considering our reluctance to get involved in the debate.

Itââ?¬â?¢s with this in mind that Iââ?¬â?¢m delighted to read about the Rangers Supportersââ?¬â?¢ Trust finally managing to organise their inaugural ââ?¬Ë?GersPrideââ?¬â?¢ conference at Ibrox Stadium this Saturday (more info below - 1). Itââ?¬â?¢s not before time that our fans (helped by a varied choice of neutrals) have the platform to debate our history and background while finding some common ground for the future. Itââ?¬â?¢s vital that as many fans take part as possible because, if we donââ?¬â?¢t, we can't then argue about being marginalised or not having the chance to debate serious issues and change certain attitudes for the better.

What can be said there is that there is no doubt in recent years our club and support have modernised and improved their outlook. Removing unacceptable add-ons and discriminatory terms from our songs so quickly is something to be proud of and gives us the kind of sound foundation to move forward into our next 135 years (and more!). However, while this is agreeable, there is no reason why we have to abandon other parts of our heritage just because others may not completely agree with it.

For example, Celtic are a proud Catholic club with their history based on religion right from the start. They rightly celebrate such associations and no-one challenges them - why should they? Similarly, our national team and ââ?¬Ë?Tartan Armyââ?¬â?¢ often base their attitudes and spirit on battles of old and should never be told otherwise. The same should go for us.

Songs like ââ?¬Ë?The Sashââ?¬â?¢. ââ?¬Ë?Derryââ?¬â?¢s Wallsââ?¬â?¢, 'Rule Britannia' and 'God Save the Queen' may not mean the same to everyone. Their words and other slogans our support utilise may take different meanings for different people but we should never need to question their suitability when they are a huge part of our history. That shouldnââ?¬â?¢t offend anyone and if it does, well theyââ?¬â?¢re only showing the kind of intolerance and bigotry that we get pilloried for.

1 - http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rstsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=1

Mate,

As you know I'm not religious whatsoever. As such, I might find it difficult to relate to some aspects of the debate.

As such, how would you describe what it means to you (if anything) for Rangers to have a religious focus at certain times in our history.

What kind of positives would you take from it? Any negatives?

Sorry for picking on you but I'm really interested in people's thoughts.

Great piece Frankie.

Is there any books on those early years you could recommend?

Like you. I'm not a religious person in any way shape or form, but I'd love to read and learn all about those times. Right up to the Struth and Waddell days.

It would be much appreciated if yourself or any of the lads for that matter, could recommend anything.

Cheers. :)

great read Frankie.....

i am not in the least religious but have proudly sung all the above songs and long may it continue, if others don't like it fine there is nothing wrong with them and if they think so they have a problem.

We should be proud of our history and never forget what everyone has done and sacrificed for our club.

Objectively, "tradition" is strange concept which compels people to do things just because they have been done several times before.

It can be a good thing, giving us rocks on which to build the daily fabric of our lives, as well as landmarks to which we can turn to orient ourselves.

But all too often traditions are twisted with changes to suit agendas that were never imagined and their original intent is completely lost.

You just have to look at Christmas and Halloween to understand what I mean.

When we look at the traditions of Rangers FC, we really have to separate the wheat from the chaff and understand what the real values of our traditions are.

Too often people use their traditions to negatively provoke others and end up only prostituting the concepts they are pretending to believe in. A good example of this, is Boruc crossing himself at the same time as making indecent gestures to provoke a crowd. He is prostituting his religion as he has no genuine feeling for the proper reason for religious gesture.

That argument seems to also apply to songs which are sung by those who don't care about the sentiment behind the lyrics, and are sung only to provoke others. The Sash is a very good example.

Rangers may have a "protestant" tradition but as far as I know, it's relation to the Orange order is very limited. Most of the people singing the sash are not members of the order, and probably have little knowledge or genuine sentiment for the sash in question.

The OO constantly bemoan that the people who cause trouble and bring them into disrepute, are hangers on who have nothing to do with the order itself. So it seems to me that the hangers on in the Ibrox crowd are probably not endorsed by the OO, and I believe they wouldn't consider joining a lodge in any case.

In fact I would even be surprised if many of them regularly attended church outside of weddings and funerals.

So are they as guilty as Boruc of prostituting what they are disingenuously proud of?

I think the irony of some of this (what I see as) false tradition is that when you listen to the crowd during historical footage, there seems to be far less prevalence of the more religious and political oriented songs, in the same way that historical portrayals of Christmas don't show houses to be covered in lights.

Part of the tradition is now exaggerated and is far more superficial.

I doubt many fans at games these days would impress the traditions of Bill Struth – even those who are considered well behaved. A fan dressed scruffily, hands in pockets and occasionally shouting obscenities would have his total disapproval - never mind the fact he probably drinks too much, doesn't show enough moral fibre or community spirit and rarely attends the Kirk.

In my opinion, the real Rangers traditions are mostly as lost from Ibrox as they are from society and something less valuable is now in its place - just like our consumerist Christmas festival.

I think if we are going to push aspects of our traditions, it should be the likes of upstanding citizenship, tolerance, equality, respect, good principles, moral values, standing for taking care of our families and contributing to the community.

These are the Presbyterian traditions which can easily be taken and applied to a modern, inclusive, secular support without regard for race or religion.

Not many of us can live up to these ideals, and I include myself there.

As for singing The Sash, what traditional value is this really perpetuating?