Derek Johnstone

2 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Other than Mark Hateley, has there ever been a better old fashioned Rangers centre forward in recent times than big DJ?

How far back, Rab? Derek Parlane, Jimmy Millar? Of course Millar wasn’t a six footer, he only jumped like one.

Older Gersnetters will recall the mystery surrounding DJ at the 1978 WC in Argentina when he was part of the Scotland squad but never got a game in a struggling Scotland side which embarrassed itself.

After a treble winning season 77-78 with Rangers, in which DJ scored 25 league goals and got both Scotland’s goals in the home internationals before the WC,  he headed out to the WC finals where he wouldn’t play a single minute.

To this day I don’t think DJ has ever said a word about this but for whatever reason I don’t think he was ever the same player again after 1978. He’s been asked often but been declined to give reasons IIRC

Summer 78 was also when Jock Wallace left Rangers for Leicester City & was replaced by John Greig. Looking back it seemed Jock Wallace got a lot more out of DJ than Greig would be able to. And ultimately DJ would be part of JG’s 1983 clear out before he himself got cleared out later that same year

Unfortunately I don’t think Derek Johnstone ever became the player we’d hoped he’d be but I’ve always wondered if the summer 1978 was a turning point for him? 

Edited by RANGERRAB

15 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

Other than Mark Hateley, has there ever been a better old fashioned Rangers centre forward in recent times than big DJ?

Big Dado is about the only one that springs to mind. For a handful of games Daniel Cousin looked like he could be mentioned in the same breath, but for whatever reason it didn't last.

Derek Johnstone was a wonderfully talented player both in defence and attack. It seems to me his worth is generally ignored by many supporters and he's never really been afforded the recognition he deserves.