Alan Hutton

I wouldl ike to see replays of the first goal again because when I first saw it I didn't think he was culpable. I thought his job would be to ensure no-one got the ball back on the touchline and got free reign to swing a dangerous cross in.

I think my blame would have went to either Fletcher (who decided to stand right next to Hutton - at least I think it was Fletcher), Hartley who, as the hilding mid, I thought should have tracked the run of Di Natale, or Davie Weir for also allowing Di Natale too much space (but in Weir's defence he was covering his CB position and had no option but to cose the player down as he had ACRES of space.

Will caveat the above by saying I haven't seen the replay of it.

Hutton was immense though, of that there is no doubt.

You make a great point too S_A - he did a great job of covering his CB's. He also at the start of the 2nd half had a crucial block at the back post as well.

Alan Hutton touted as future star of Serie A after show of force

Phil Gordon

Christian Panucci, Italy’s match-winner, believes that Alan Hutton is ready to write himself a ticket to Serie A after giving the world champions a torrid time at Hampden Park. Indeed, the AS Roma right back could easily be facing up to Hutton again next season in the Eternal City if Lazio pursue their interest in the Rangers player.

Panucci endorsed Hutton’s capabilities for his Roman rivals after watching the 22-year-old Scotland right back turn the clock back and offer a glimpse of what Panucci once did himself, as an attacking full back. Now Panucci is 34, but his mirror image on the Scotland side used those younger legs to devastating effect to torment Panucci’s partner, Gianluca Zambrotta, the left back.

“Hutton is a great player, so quick,” the former Chelsea player said. “He has a good future ahead of him. I know that for many foreign players it is hard to play in Italy, but I think Hutton has the right mentality and it would be good if a team want to sign him.”

Panucci made his name at AC Milan a decade ago as an energetic right back before moving to Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Chelsea and then Roma in 2001. Ironically, he was not supposed to be playing at Hampden. Panucci had been out of the Azzurri lineup since 2004 - when he was excluded by Marcello Lippi, the former coach - but was recalled last month by his old friend Roberto Dona-doni, who was a teammate at Milan, for the win over Georgia. Saturday was his 51st appearance and he had only scored twice before for Italy, until his 90th-minute header from Andrea Pirlo’s cross killed Scotland’s dreams.

Panucci admitted to a tinge of sympathy for the hosts. “I am very sad for the Scottish players,” he said. “They were a good team and they always used fair play. They had a great mentality. I also loved the supporters here. It was a great atmosphere.

“Scotland played very well after they scored and they were very strong in the last 20 minutes. What happened in the last minute should not change that. I think you must be pleased with the way they played for your fans. For me, this is a dream. At 34, to score the goal that takes us to the European Championship finals is special. For it to come in the last minute is even better. I am so happy.”

Panucci would not be so happy if Italy and Scotland were paired for the third time in a qualification campaign when the draw is made for the 2010 World Cup groups next week in South Africa. After facing each other in battle for the 2006 World Cup and then Euro 2008, he feels a ceasefire would be better. “A third time? I prefer not,” he said. “However, I would like to see Scotland qualify for that tournament, for these wonderful supporters.”

he looks a star and wouldn't look out of place with a top team in any league IMO. he has great control at the back and of course has so much pace and confidence, defenders must hate him running at them.

I would like to see some stats as to how many free kicks he has won and how many players have been booked taking him out.

I hope and think he will stay for a wee while yet but if a top team from one of the big leagues comes knocking it's hard for any player (and our club at present) to turn down, 1. to play in a better league and 2. of course to make a fortune.

I don't however see the point in someone like Hutton or any top player at Rangers going to lesser English teams for example, of course they might earn a fortune (if they are happy then fine) but surely you want to better yourself and win things in the process? It's not like you get paid a pittance for playing for Rangers!!

Something I haven't seen mentioned here is at the point of conceding that ridiculous freekick he was exceptional in covering for his CB's who were posted missing. Truly outstanding full back play at that point and throughout most the game.

Great point, and not only the CB's he was in the LB position so all 3 defenders werent there.

What impresses me so much about Hutton is the ease and comfort he looks when he is on the ball. He is a natural player. He is priceless to the Rangers team right now because he offers us such a good attacking option - and he is a RB!! If we could get another De Boer to assist Hutton then id see goals flowing from our team.

I wouldnt like to see him sold for any amount. He's still young and will only get better. Been my favourite player for some time. Love to know how many that slagged him a while ago have changed there minds

I for 1 was getting fed up with him this time last year when we wer under PLG and playing shocking - he DID always play it backwards/sideways and not make any forward runs - how can you not get angry with that??

Just shows you what a bit of confidence does for you! Ferguson was the same under PLG and has changed.

Good news... but for how long ?

From Sporting Life.....

Alan Hutton's agent has played down reports linking the player with a move away from Rangers.

The full-back has emerged as a target for a number of top clubs after impressing for club and country in recent months.

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has expressed his admiration for the all-action defender, who earned rave reviews for his performance in Scotland's Euro 2008 defeat to Italy.

The likes of Liverpool and Newcastle have also been linked with a move for Hutton, who signed a new deal at Rangers over the summer.

Hutton's representative John Longeran has dismissed the speculation and insists the defender is happy at Ibrox.

"I think it is just all paper talk," Lonergan told skysports.com

"Alan is happy at Rangers and he only signed a new deal in the summer.

"We have not even discussed the speculation as Alan is focusing on things at Rangers.

"At the minute big games are coming thick and fast for Alan and he is enjoying playing in them."

There's gonna be a shit loads of clubs linked with him in January, lets just hope he stays. I think he's one that will play for the jersey in the same mould as Ally, IFergie, Mccall, Gough, Hately even Gazza. Not gonna go on but I think and hope the boy loves the club and we have him for many years to come.

He cant be at a better club or family than the Rangers