Gersnet Rangers All-time XI | Final Team

It just shows how brilliant Richard Gough was. When you think after Butcher left he practically got a new centre half partner every season and had to adapt. My count is Kuznetzov, John Brown, Big Slim McPherson, Alan McLaren, Gordon Petric and Jocky Bjorkland. Have I left any out? Even Amoruso was signed in 97 for Gough' last season but didnt kick a ball. 

3 hours ago, Gribz said:

It just shows how brilliant Richard Gough was. When you think after Butcher left he practically got a new centre half partner every season and had to adapt. My count is Kuznetzov, John Brown, Big Slim McPherson, Alan McLaren, Gordon Petric and Jocky Bjorkland. Have I left any out? Even Amoruso was signed in 97 for Gough' last season but didnt kick a ball. 

Basil Boli?

The difficulty was not who to pick but who you could leave out.

Try the same exercise with other clubs. Choosing their best XIs is much easier without the huge talent bank to draw on. One in particular had a geriatric ‘keeper, a mesmerising winger a brilliant Dane (Second Class) a centre half, one or two half-backs and a few other forwards. I could only think of eight Hearts players and two of them had their best seasons at Hibs. Including those two, I reckon about a dozen at Hibs maybe fourteen at Aberdeen including Dave Smith and Davie Robertson.

On 24/11/2023 at 13:38, Scott7 said:

The difficulty was not who to pick but who you could leave out.

Try the same exercise with other clubs. Choosing their best XIs is much easier without the huge talent bank to draw on. One in particular had a geriatric ‘keeper, a mesmerising winger a brilliant Dane (Second Class) a centre half, one or two half-backs and a few other forwards. I could only think of eight Hearts players and two of them had their best seasons at Hibs. Including those two, I reckon about a dozen at Hibs maybe fourteen at Aberdeen including Dave Smith and Davie Robertson.

Ooosh. I think we can without doubt respect a lot of opposition players to an extent. I give that lot Henrik Larsson - no bear would deny he was world class. After that it gets ugly. 

Aberdeen and Dundee Utd 80s sides may throw up a good team - id notice only half - you elders would be best placed. Would they touch our greatest? A good question though Scott

59 minutes ago, Gribz said:

Aberdeen and Dundee Utd 80s sides may throw up a good team - id notice only half - you elders would be best placed. Would they touch our greatest?

Both had very good teams. As we have experienced over a few years a good team will usually beat eleven comparatively stellar individuals.

I don’t think any of the DU champions would get into the also rans in the Gersnet lists. Narey? Sturrock? Milne? Hegarty? Aberdeen had better individual players. Leighton, Miller, Strachan and from earlier times Martin Buchan and Graham Leggatt but you wouldn’t have Buchan ahead of Tam Forsyth who had plenty of mentions but I think, no nominations.

Surprisingly, Hibs had better players than any of the others. Apart from the historical five, they had Stanton, the best of the lot, Baker, Brownlie, Hamilton and Martin. I could see all of these in blue but I doubt if even Stanton would displace any of the final selection.

The best other team was the Dundee champion side. No weak links, all above average and Brown, Ure and Gilzean absolute stars as evidenced by their departures to ‘Spurs and Arsenal.

56 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Both had very good teams. As we have experienced over a few years a good team will usually beat eleven comparatively stellar individuals.

I don’t think any of the DU champions would get into the also rans in the Gersnet lists. Narey? Sturrock? Milne? Hegarty? Aberdeen had better individual players. Leighton, Miller, Strachan and from earlier times Martin Buchan and Graham Leggatt but you wouldn’t have Buchan ahead of Tam Forsyth who had plenty of mentions but I think, no nominations.

Surprisingly, Hibs had better players than any of the others. Apart from the historical five, they had Stanton, the best of the lot, Baker, Brownlie, Hamilton and Martin. I could see all of these in blue but I doubt if even Stanton would displace any of the final selection.

The best other team was the Dundee champion side. No weak links, all above average and Brown, Ure and Gilzean absolute stars as evidenced by their departures to ‘Spurs and Arsenal.

Now Willie Hamilton was a player 

Maybe a bit late with this one but players like Ralph Brand and Derek Johnstone did far more for far longer for Rangers than Hateley did - admittedly I never saw them play but just looking at there records like.

If any older members want to back me up on that or not - I'd go with the XI posted but with Derek Johnstone instead of Hateley.

And honestly, I'd have Barry Ferguson in for Gazza too. That one might be sacrilege though.

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

From a nostalgia point when the Scottish game was last competitive, its actually really interesting. I do recall watching that Dundee Utd side as an 8 year old at Barcelona and it seems like yesterday, and I was egging them on. Your right about the Aberdeen, Miller and McLeish were probably the best centre half pairing in Britain for a while. Without Alex Ferguson would they have won so much though?

Hibs - You have age on your side there, I dont think Ive ever seen near a classic Hibs team. 

2 hours ago, compo said:

Now Willie Hamilton was a player 

By God he was. Hearts couldn’t manage him properly but Stein transformed him when he went to Hibs. Suggestions that on Friday nights Stein took him into “protective custody”.

Should have added Peter Cormack and Jimmy O’Rourke to the list of hibbees above.

Edited by Scott7