The Winter 2023/24 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

I would honestly take Jermaine Defoe back before wasting time and funds on Silva. Van Veen (or a player of that like) fits the bill IMO. Experienced, knows his way to goal, knows the rigours of our mad game

I genuinely hope my words above come back to bite me. I suppose we've got to trust the manager...

2 hours ago, SykseyBear said:

Scott Burns is as good as it coming direct from the club. Surprised we've allowed names to get out there. 

Think The Rexord were also reporting this. May have gotten it from Scott Burns? 

Added these two to the OP. Interesting, Wagner has no great CV, but is a freebie in 2 days time. His stats are okay, the US league is not that bad, so who knows. Oppegard is essentially a youngster with virtually no top tier football experience (not least if compared to Silva of the same age).

IN - Kai Wagner (26) - LB, German, Philadelphia Union, contract till 12/2023 - TM - LINK

IN - Frederik Oppgard (21) - LB, Norway, PSV Eindhoven, contract till 6/2025 - TM - LINK (see Wagner above)

Edited by der Berliner

We sure need another striker. I can't see us parting with 5m for Shankland after spending 14m on Dessers, Danilo, and Lammers - unless we sell someone for serious money. Silva, like everyone else, probably needs some time and only Fortune knows what the Scottish defenders will do to him.

These left-backs are low-key squad players, one could come as a freebie and German defenders are usually quite good.

I just hope that Clement and Co. find another striker that can fit in straight away, whether old or young does not exactly matter in the here and now.

21 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Wagner's also a racist apparently, suspended recently for it:

https://theathletic.com/5040649/2023/11/07/kai-wagner-racial-slur-union-revolution/

Apologies if it's behind a paywall.

Probably as much "a racist" as you and me. "He who throws the first stone ..." or whatever the line is. 

Throwing a word in the heat of the moment doesn't make you "a racist" and I know for fact that many of my fellow Turkish-German citizens have a neat variety of words thrown at "white" Germans every day without notice, some in anger, some in irony or jest. Only that most other Germans don't understand their Turkish words. And you could add Poles, Russians, Ukrainians etc. to that list.

True racism is another matter, though.

Obviously, these are different times and the PC code demands that incidents like the one mentioned above needs to be investigated to its core, Wagner's CV been screened to his great-grandfather and whatnot. I take it that the inquisitors over at Kerrydale Street are already at it.

Wagner himself:

Wagner himself on Instagram: “The last few days have been very difficult for me and my family. “I said something in the heat of the moment that I deeply regret. I sincerely apologize and will work to improve myself and my actions. That’s not who I am.”

Edited by der Berliner

22 minutes ago, SykseyBear said:

The Dutch left back from Vitesse is a far better link. Million i think his name is or something. He looks ok and has decent pedigree. 

I'd also like to know what our plans are for the out of contract players. Roofe, Jack, Lunny, McLaughlin? Barisic. Loads of wages to free up there. My guess is we will hear nothing about any of them whilst we are still in the hunt for 4 trophies.  Cutting a few short next month would be lovely.

And obviously a few others out the door in terms of sales would be nice too. Likes of Matondo Wright Cifuentes Lammers etc etc. Getting anything for any of them would be terrific. 

Lundstram is the only one I'd be talking to atm about an extension - and it would be on a shorter deal on reduced wages, with heavy incentives in the contract if he meets targets during the season.