Some thoughts 6 days on

• Rousseau changed the title to Some thoughts 6 days on
6 minutes ago, Blue Moon said:

I am left bemused and perplexed by the entire handball shenanigans.  What on earth is a subjective handball? 

Deliberate or not. Can you say with 100% accuracy that x, y, or z handled the ball accidentally or deliberately. 

That's an example of a subjective hand ball. 

For what it's worth, I think Johnstone handled it accidentally. A penalty still should have been awarded (and then rescinded as Sima was offside).

You and I are disagreeing on this incident, suggesting that there's a level of subjectivity to it.

VAR won't remove subjectivity from the game; there are too many instances where it's up to the subjectivity of the referee. 

(I don't disagree with your thoughts on the incompetence of our set-up.) 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

Deliberate or not. Can you say with 100% accuracy that x, y, or z handled the ball accidentally or deliberately. 

For what it's worth, I think Johnstone handled it accidentally. A penalty still should have been awarded (and then rescinded as Sima was offside).

You and I are disagreeing on this incident, suggesting that there's a level of subjectivity to it.

VAR won't remove subjectivity from the game; there are too many instances where it's up to the subjectivity of the referee. 

(I don't disagree with your thoughts on the incompetence of our set-up.) 

I think they should attach lie detectors to there already existing data equipment they have attached to there backs under there top's 🤣🤣

The next time VAR gives us the benefit of a controversial decision it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread let’s not let this fester .

VAR should have got the wee yahoo left back to do a lie detector test, to find out if he meant it or not.

I'm happy to wait a couple of hours, as long as the correct decision is made.

So What Whatever GIF by BrownSugarApp

1 hour ago, compo said:

The next time VAR gives us the benefit of a controversial decision it will be the greatest thing since sliced bread let’s not let this fester .

I am not blaming VAR per se.  I am still in favour of it.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Since the issue of deliberate or accidental is irrelevant, there should be nothing subjective about it. If there is then VAR is a complete waste of time. There are two fairly straightforward decisions - did the ball contact the player's arm and was his arm in an unnatural position (whatever that is) at the moment of contact? In this particular case there was definitely contact and the are was well away from the player's body, so it's a mystery why subjectivity would come into it.

In the beginning, it was thought by many that VAR would relieve officials of pressure by making it clear to fans why certain decisions were arrived at. In reality what it has done is provide fans with enough information to confirm how inadequate our officials are and have been all along. Now we have an incident that takes things further and sheds light on something much darker than incompetence, something that I've long suspected permeates not only football but virtually every institution in Scottish life. Willing corruption.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Nonsense man. You are wrong, I am right. Where's the subjectivity in that? 😉

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

I am left bemused and perplexed by the entire handball shenanigans.  ………….

Not a wrong word in that except I thought the spalpeen actually flicked the ball over the line with his hand. Penalty morning, noon and night.

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

Since the issue of deliberate or accidental is irrelevant, there should be nothing subjective about it. If there is then VAR is a complete waste of time. There are two fairly straightforward decisions - did the ball contact the player's arm and was his arm in an unnatural position (whatever that is) at the moment of contact? In this particular case there was definitely contact and the are was well away from the player's body, so it's a mystery why subjectivity would come into it.

In the beginning, it was thought by many that VAR would relieve officials of pressure by making it clear to fans why certain decisions were arrived at. In reality what it has done is provide fans with enough information to confirm how inadequate our officials are and have been all along. Now we have an incident that takes things further and sheds light on something much darker than incompetence, something that I've long suspected permeates not only football but virtually every institution in Scottish life. Willing corruption.

Agree wholeheartedly with that.