Some thoughts 6 days on

2 hours ago, Blue Moon said:

So, the ref missed it but VAR saw it.  No problem we said, it is a clear handball but in 30 seconds Collum says no handball.  I don't believe Collum is a cheat but he is a coward and incompetent.  He did not use the opportunity to properly review the incident from various angles nor ask the ref to come to the monitor.  The SFA have made matters worse by calling it a subjective handball when everyone knows that is nonsense.

I think we need to review this whole notion of what comprises "a cheat".

Is it only someone who sets out with deliberate intent to disadvantage one team with respect to another. Or can it also include someone who simply takes advantage of an unexpected event to favour one side. The outcome is likely to be the same in both cases of course. Both involve cheating but the former is driven by intent while the latter depends on fortuitous opportunity. Which kind of cheat is Collum?

14 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Not a wrong word in that except I thought the spalpeen actually flicked the ball over the line with his hand. Penalty morning, noon and night.

I think everyone but the main man knew it was a penalty but from some snippets I’ve been reading some referees are not keen on officiating at our games after the club had the temerity to ask questions.

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think we need to review this whole notion of what comprises "a cheat".

Is it only someone who sets out with deliberate intent to disadvantage one team with respect to another. Or can it also include someone who simply takes advantage of an unexpected event to favour one side. The outcome is likely to be the same in both cases of course. Both involve cheating but the former is driven by intent while the latter depends on fortuitous opportunity. Which kind of cheat is Collum?

By your definition the latter.

9 minutes ago, compo said:

I think everyone but the main man knew it was a penalty but from some snippets I’ve been reading some referees are not keen on officiating at our games after the club had the temerity to ask questions.

Celtic FC don't often need to put pressure on refs because their placemen on TV and radio, in the written media, any platform where football is discussed, do it for them.  The proportion of Celtic minded people in the media is disgraceful conscious bias.  A show like "Off the ball"  should be good family fun but it is used as a big stick to wallop Rangers and us, the fans.

The red card for St Johnstone a few weeks back and a similar incident in our first ever VAR game v Livi at home (I think) is a great small scale example of how VAR has mitigated bad refereeing decisions for us. I believe against the plankton the refs have an unconscious bias and allow for a certain level of leniency instead of calling it how they see it.

VAR is a net gain for us. But it must be used correctly, honestly and the process around its use must be auditable and transparent. 

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

4 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

VAR is a net gain for us. But it must be used correctly, honestly and the process around its use must be auditable and transparent. 

In which case it fails on all four counts.

The referees have spoken...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67901742

"The Scottish referees' union "strongly condemn any commentary impugning" the integrity of officials.

The Scottish Senior Football Referees' Association adds that "speculation surrounding the future appointment of referees" is "deeply unhelpful".

The statement follows a meeting between the Scottish FA and Rangers, who had asked for the audio from an Old Firm derby VAR ruling, while the governing body rejected a suggestion that Willie Collum be kept from officiating on future games involving the Ibrox club.

Collum was the video assistant referee at Celtic Park on 30 December.

Rangers said the "overriding consensus" in their meeting with head of referee operations Crawford Allan was the decision of no handball against Celtic's Alistair Johnston was wrong.

The SFA replied that they were "disappointed" with Rangers' comments and urged the club to show "greater responsibility".

The governing body went on to say they "immediately rejected" requests relating to Collum detailed in a social media post from what they call a "recent official media partner" of Rangers.".

12 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The referees have spoken...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67901742

"The Scottish referees' union "strongly condemn any commentary impugning" the integrity of officials.

The Scottish Senior Football Referees' Association adds that "speculation surrounding the future appointment of referees" is "deeply unhelpful".

The statement follows a meeting between the Scottish FA and Rangers, who had asked for the audio from an Old Firm derby VAR ruling, while the governing body rejected a suggestion that Willie Collum be kept from officiating on future games involving the Ibrox club.

Collum was the video assistant referee at Celtic Park on 30 December.

Rangers said the "overriding consensus" in their meeting with head of referee operations Crawford Allan was the decision of no handball against Celtic's Alistair Johnston was wrong.

The SFA replied that they were "disappointed" with Rangers' comments and urged the club to show "greater responsibility".

The governing body went on to say they "immediately rejected" requests relating to Collum detailed in a social media post from what they call a "recent official media partner" of Rangers.".

But surely the old slogan Superman I think it is “ With great Responsibility comes great power” and yet the power they have to use totally undermines the whole purpose of VAR to make it fair for all who feel hard done by ? 

Edited by Fa1833

As always the SFA splutters and protests ..... but stops short of offering a useful explanation of the actions of its officials or opening the door to transparent scrutiny of its VAR systems. It's yet another example of "trust us and don't dare question us".

But through the fog of indignation and bluster it's just possible to detect an organisation that has been severely rattled ..... not by events at Parkhead but by being caught covering up its dubious operations.

For so long as the SFA denies scrutiny of its match officials, there can never be a basis of trust in them. Only when they allow a modicum of transparency will the SFA have any right to express indignation. I look forward to welcoming Willie Collum back to Ibrox.

Edited by Bill

Looking back on the OF game at the penalty handball there’s no doubt a VAR review should’ve been done(as opposed to a check) but whether offside would have ruled out the penalty is dubious because if the latest IFAB offside rules were applied (assuming the official were aware of them) Sima might not have been given offside as he never touched the ball or prevented the opponent from playing it. 
A bigger issue for me was why match referee Walsh didn’t give a second yellow card to yahoos RB Alistair Johnston.