Under Pressure

As if we weren’t under enough pressure to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League, Celtc getting through by default last night (look, I’m not knocking it, I’d take qualification under any circumstances) has heaped further pressure on our players and staff to ensure that we get the required result next week. We have been handed a break from the beaks and have been given extra time to prepare for this game and have no game to look forward to this weekend.

Even given the fact that we have already secured 3rd place in the group, I know that a defeat at home to Lyon will taste like failure as we have come so far in this group, not qualifying is simply unthinkable. However, me being the eternal pessimist, I can see heartache ahead. At times like these my thoughts take me back to watching Rangers in the early / mid 80’s and standing in the East Enclosure at the first home game of the season, or on the few occasions we got to a final at Hampden, standing on the red-ash of the Rangers end, chanting the ‘Rangers Chorus’ of the time – ‘Don’t Let Us Down Again’. I don’t need to remind you that they did on more occasions than not…..

People are saying that Ibrox will be rocking next week and I agree in some respects. However, as the game goes on and the score stays 0-0, more and more fans will get nervous and this will transmit onto the pitch. We really must score the first goal – the earlier the better to settle everyone down. The longer the game goes, the more nervous we will become. I hope that my pessimism is unfounded and that we turn in one of our best ever European displays and take our place in the last 16 with the minimum of fuss.

Not wanting to get to far ahead of myself, but if we do qualify, then I would happily take AC Milan in the next round. I have watched them a lot on TV this season and they aren’t the team that they once were. Looking at the likely group winners, they would be my first choice as I think that we would have a very decent chance of defeating them over the 2 legs. But like I say, that discussion is for another day, lets just concentrate on getting the desired result against Lyon.

I Was Wrong – So Very Wrong

I admit that I was one of the Rangers fans who as well as backing the moves to rid our support of the unsavoury chants and add-ons, claimed that once we had eradicated these, we could expect a shift of focus and other fans to come under the microscope. I have to hold up my hand here and admit that I was wrong, oh so very wrong. We have undoubtedly cleaned up our act and have as a support, rid our wonderful songs of any reference to the wee man from Rome with the funny hat. For this, we should be applauded and used as an example to fanbases in this country who still have a very evident problem with sectarian, political and offensive songs.

Instead of seeing a change of direction from the 3rd estate, we have continued to be the sole fanbase who’s songs and actions continue to come under scrutiny from the authorities and especially the media. Some Rangers fans have had enough and have taken it upon themselves to challenge the blatant one-sided reporting of this perceived sectarian problem. We also have the excellent RST who continue to release statements defending us whilst highlighting the imbalance of this whole topic. However, and worryingly, our club continues to believe that a wall of ‘dignified’ silence is the way to deal with this issue. It makes you wonder where this supposed money that our PR (no sniggering at the back) has spent on defending the club and fans has gone as their presence in this debate has been entirely missed by this Bear.

Since the start of this season, one set of supporters has continually sang sectarian, political and offensive songs with impunity. These fans haven’t been brought to task by the media, politicians, NBM or the SPL / SFA. This set of fans are behaving like they know and realise that no matter what they do, they are ‘untouchable’. For some reason, nobody has the bottle or inclination to bring them to task. Previously, we were told that they had a small problem with a minority of their away fans, then we were told that they didn’t have a problem at all. Funny that, as their outgoing Chairman chaired meetings earlier this season with fan groups asking them to drown out these sectarian, political and offensive songs. We have had to listen to the Chairperson of their Supporters Trust justify the singing or IRA songs within their support. When vilified for this, we witness the usual suspects jump to her defence.

The sectarian debate has also reached the front door of the ex-worst minister, Mr Joke McConnell. Joke was fond of informing us that sectarianism was Scotland’s Secret Shame and his sound-bites and actions portrayed a man who thought that this was a ‘one-way street’. Lets not forget that Joke shares a constituency office with the despicable Frank Roy. Last week Jokes Brother in law was guilty of a sectarian outburst at a televised and high-profile award ceremony. Now, as far as I am aware only one media outlet (News Of The World) ran with this story and I am assuming that that Police will be serving Mr McLuckie with a sectarian breach of the peace charge? The irony is that the girls that Mr McLuckie assumed were Proddy Bastards were in fact Catholic.

So ladies and gentlemen, it appears that the media, NBM, politicians etc are only interested in sectarianism if we are the perpetrators. It appears that what we believed all along is true, they can do no wrong and they know it and are acting accordingly. Don’t hold your breath for them to be brought to task, it’ll never happen.

English Premier League

For some reason, I had lost interest in the EPL over the last couple of seasons and count on the one hand how many live games I had sat down and watched. I still watched MOTD on a Sunday morning, but only really with a passing interest. This season has been different, I have refound my passion for the EPL and have to admit that I am really enjoying watching the likes of Manchester United (and City) and Arsenal. I don’t really have an EPL team as such, but have a soft spot for Chelsea (have had for years) and have always loved watching Arsenal play. I don’t have the hatred for Manchester United (in fact, I can’t believe that so many Bears hate them – we have so much in common – but that’s for another day) that some Bears do and they are playing really well at the moment.

Two players (apart from the obvious ones) who have really stood out for me so far this season are two ex-Rangers players: Arteta and Tugay. Both these players are exceptional talents and left Rangers for differing reasons (depending on who you believe). Tugay just sits in the midfield and makes everything look so easy and always appears to have oddles of time on the ball. Arteta is an exciting player going forward and his trickery and delivery would be an asset to any team in the country. Bottom line is, we are a poorer team / squad without them and could be doing with their talent at the moment (or players with similar ability).

For what it is worth, I hope that Arsenal win the EPL but think that Man U will be too strong for them over the course of the season - but don't rule Chelsea out.

Cammy F

Even given the fact that we have already secured 3rd place in the group, I know that a defeat at home to Lyon will taste like failure as we have come so far in this group, not qualifying is simply unthinkable. However, me being the eternal pessimist, I can see heartache ahead.

People are saying that Ibrox will be rocking next week and I agree in some respects. However, as the game goes on and the score stays 0-0, more and more fans will get nervous and this will transmit onto the pitch. We really must score the first goal ââ?¬â?? the earlier the better to settle everyone down.

Defeat would taste like failure but im optimistic and fancy us to get at least the draw we need. No doubt about it though, Lyon have picked up after there sloppy start and thats one thing we have to be wary of. The longer it stays 0-0 will be equally nailbiting for them.

The chosen line up will be interesting. With Darch out then surely there is a shout for a man like Buffel to play behind Cousin to help us get that goal we need??

For some reason, I had lost interest in the EPL over the last couple of seasons and count on the one hand how many live games I had sat down and watched. I still watched MOTD on a Sunday morning, but only really with a passing interest. This season has been different, I have refound my passion for the EPL and have to admit that I am really enjoying watching the likes of Manchester United (and City) and Arsenal. I donââ?¬â?¢t really have an EPL team as such, but have a soft spot for Chelsea (have had for years) and have always loved watching Arsenal play. I donââ?¬â?¢t have the hatred for Manchester United (in fact, I canââ?¬â?¢t believe that so many Bears hate them ââ?¬â?? we have so much in common ââ?¬â?? but thatââ?¬â?¢s for another day) that some Bears do and they are playing really well at the moment.

Ive never lost interest in the Premiership and in the last 2 seasons with the great amount of games i get Ive went onto like it even more. Agreed about Arsenal - I dont think there is a football fan in the world who could not enjoy watching them. I did enjoy Man U last season - I thought they were terrific and I had a nice bet on them winning the league.

I think we have agreed on the MAn U hatred thing before. In the 90s they were the team to hate but since 2002/03 there arrogance seemed to disappear andsince then i can now watch them no problem at all. It used to be if they were on TV on a CL wed night, id switch off as soon as they were 1 up.

For what it is worth, I hope that Arsenal win the EPL but think that Man U will be too strong for them over the course of the season - but don't rule Chelsea out.

Im hoping Arsenal win it aswell but I think it is a 4 horse race now. Dont rule out Liverpool either. If they win there game in hand then they are level with Man U.

Next Sunday (15th Dec) will be a treat - Liverpool v Man U then Arsenal v Chelsea.

I said we had to beat Stuttgart and I am sorry to be a doom monger, but I think Lyon have all the aces going into the game.

I can see them getting a win, and TBH I can't see us getting a win. A draw is going to be our saviour as I see it.

Apart from that, good stuff mate!