A blue card  is to be introduced into football were a player will spend 10 minutes on the bench for some offences Scottish refs will just love this .

• Rousseau changed the title to BLUE IS THE COLOUR

Now referees are to hand out BLUE cards: Football fans left baffled by yet another bizarre rule change just days after Premier League chief admitted VAR system needs fixing

• New sin-bin protocols could be tested in FA Cup and Women's FA Cup matches
  • Yellow and red cards were first introduced to the game at the 1970 World Cup 
  • CHRIS SUTTON: Erik ten Hag is still on trial. He needs more than gradual improvement this season to keep his job - It's All Kicking Off podcast 

By TUM BALOGUN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 15:04, 8 February 2024 | UPDATED: 19:39, 8 February 2024

1.8kshares

View comments

Football fans, Premier League managers and former players have been left furious by the sport's rulemakers' decision to introduce a 'blue card' to trial ten minute sin-bins, with some saying they game is finished. 

Arsenal legend Paul Merson blasted the idea as a 'waste of time' saying it will kill the game and create the 'most boring football ever'. 

Tottenham boss Ange Postecoglou, Everton's Sean Dyche, and Crystal Palace's Roy Hodgson are among the Premier League managers to have previously voiced their opposition to 'blue cards'.

While fans have taken to X, formerly Twitter, to air their anger accusing the 'rich' of 'stealing our beautiful game' and being left baffled by the pointless move. 

It'll add further irritation to fans and some managers who are already annoyed by the the governing body's struggles and use of VAR, with Premier League chief Tony Scholes admitting yesterday the technology still needs fixing five years on since it was first introduced.   

The International Football Association Board is set to announce the move on Friday, according to The Telegraph, which would allow referees to send players off for ten minutes for dissent and cynical fouls.   

International Football Association Board has signed off on trials for a new protocols that will hand greater power to officials to clamp down on cynical fouls and dissent

They should call it the 'Blue Baby' and start handin them out when these athletes turn into thespians by rolling around on the ground.

"You hurt there Sir Laurence?

...well go sit it out for ten, drama queen."

Nip that shit in the bud real quick.

Paris Saint-Germain Football GIF by beIN SPORTS

I don’t like the idea.

Perhaps off for ten with a yellow but that clears the slate. Second yellow and off for ten again but it stays on the slate. Third yellow and you’re off. 

I don’t know if I like that idea either.

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

I don’t like the idea.

Perhaps off for ten with a yellow but that clears the slate. Second yellow and off for ten again but it stays on the slate. Third yellow and you’re off. 

I don’t know if I like that idea either.

Yes. If you're talking about ice hockey.