2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Statistically teams score something like 3% of all corners. 

It's just not a profitable method for scoring goals. 

I’d much rather be awarded free possession 30 or even 40 yards out in line with the penalty spot. Corners provide zero advantage.

I've always thought that in general football teams are lazy at corners, generally unimaginative, and as such the stats are poor. An average quality cross can be made fruitful with plenty of movement and a bit of innovation. We've seen teams do it, but it never lasts.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

I’d much rather be awarded free possession 30 or even 40 yards out in line with the penalty spot. Corners provide zero advantage.

You can have that, you just need to move the ball, no one says you have to cross it from the corner. But then you get the howling 'get the fuckin baw in the box' brigade! 😆

Just now, Devil's advocaat said:

You can have that, you just need to move the ball, no one says you have to cross it from the corner. But then you get the howling 'get the fuckin baw in the box' brigade! 😆

You have point but corners force you possession to the corner flag with only one possible direction of travel whereas a more central starting point would offer the attacking team freedom of options. Anyway I’m just thinking out loud, it’s not a considered suggestion but corners are essentially a waste of time. 

13 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Tav says hi with his 3 assists last night. 2 from crosses. 

On the law of averages your always bound to get some right but on consistency we dont have any real good crossers of a ball 

2 hours ago, Rousseau said:

Statistically teams score something like 3% of all corners. 

It's just not a profitable method for scoring goals. 

Mikel Arteta would like a word...

We're fine with winning our headers in defence (Souttar won 8/8 aerial duels last night) but are abysmal at attacking set pieces.

Idk if it's a bravery thing or what, but our deliveries are usually okay to decent - we just hate scoring from them.

I remember reading an article several yers past on the meticulous methods of Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool, he had brought a specific throw-in coach to the club. 

The corners thing is something that rips my knitting. At Ibrox, we average a dozen corners; last night against Ross County we achieved twenty. Whether in is out swinging or in swinging, it makes no difference as we barely achieve the first touch. Ross County's central midfielder, Yan Danda took two corners last evening, both wickedly whipped balls, one grazed the bar, the other was the recipient of a Jack Butland one handed punched clearance.

If we receive at least a dozen opportunities to put an unfettered ball into the opposition's box every game at the Stadium, maybe a specific coach could inspire much improved outcomes?

I nominate Rosseau, do I have a witness?