Donate To The Phil O'donnell Fund

Guest scotzine

Guest scotzine

Phil O'Donnell was a Model Professional, a Family man and one of the most nicest guys you could possibly ever meet or talk too.

His experience and knowledge of the game helped Motherwell this season attain third spot - he was shaping and moulding the young players around him into a team that was capable of winning anything.

Sadly on the 29th December 2007 as 'Uncle Phil' was walking off the pitch as he was being substituted he collapsed and according to reports had a seizure. Medical staff and players quickly went to his aid and he was taken in an Ambulance to Wishaw Hospital where he sadly died of a Heart Condition.

All of Scotland and the UK on hearing of his death was shocked and saddened.

Phil O'Donnell, 35 Years Old died at 5.18pm on the 29th December 2007 leaving behind a Wife and Four Children.

All Proceeds donated to this fund will be given to the British Heart Foundation.

http://www.justgiving.com/phil-odonnell

(Frankie gave permission to post this)

Guest scotzine

i know that even though he played for celtic - the guy was a good player and the fact that he died at such a young age and with such a very young family i felt that no matter the team or his allegiances all football fans should remember him. Sadly you will get the few folk on both sides of the fence that dont agree with this but the majority of us do.

To be honest i have nothing with Phil o'Donnel. I think it is terrible that a young man loses his life so soon. Every week young soldiers lose their lives in IraQ or Afghanistan and have nothing like the press that one man on a football field had.They are no larger or smaller than Phil o'Donnel. I will say please donate to the Heart fund. Not for Phil o'Donnel but for the simple fact you may need their knowledge yourself one day. Sorry if i upset some people with this but i find the whole Phil o'Donnel thing blown all out of proportion.

To be honest i have nothing with Phil o'Donnel. I think it is terrible that a young man loses his life so soon. Every week young soldiers lose their lives in IraQ or Afghanistan and have nothing like the press that one man on a football field had.They are no larger or smaller than Phil o'Donnel. I will say please donate to the Heart fund. Not for Phil o'Donnel but for the simple fact you may need their knowledge yourself one day. Sorry if i upset some people with this but i find the whole Phil o'Donnel thing blown all out of proportion.

well said, tragic event and so sad for his family and friends but as pete said happens to so many more that are never mentioned who fight for our country etc...the charity is a very worthy cause ........

Guest scotzine

You have a right to your own opinion but a guy that goes to iraq or afghanistan is out there risking his life knowing full well he might not come back alive while a guy like phil o'donnell takes to the footie field to play a game and then to return home to his wife and four kids and then to collapse and die. Thats the whole point of it - football is a game and to have a fit individual collapse and die will hit the headlines more so than those who risk their lives everyday in iraq etc - on e risk their life the other plays a game and dies.

Sorry but I dont think its been blown out of all proportion. If you say this about Phil O'Donnell then you have to say the same thing about Davie Cooper when he sadly died and then the other legends such as Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone. They never risked their lives on a battlefield but they died relatively young even jinky and baxter did so.

You have a right to your own opinion but a guy that goes to iraq or afghanistan is out there risking his life knowing full well he might not come back alive while a guy like phil o'donnell takes to the footie field to play a game and then to return home to his wife and four kids and then to collapse and die. Thats the whole point of it - football is a game and to have a fit individual collapse and die will hit the headlines more so than those who risk their lives everyday in iraq etc - on e risk their life the other plays a game and dies.

Sorry but I dont think its been blown out of all proportion. If you say this about Phil O'Donnell then you have to say the same thing about Davie Cooper when he sadly died and then the other legends such as Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone. They never risked their lives on a battlefield but they died relatively young even jinky and baxter did so.

I loved jim Baxter as a football player but unfortunately he chose to ruin his life with Alcohol as far as i know, that was his decision. I did not say this out of a biased standpoint as i would say the same over a Rangers player. I had a boy of 17 die at my feet on a football field, he got three lines in a local newspaper. Young lives are lost every day from heart failure Phil O Donnels family are not the only family in mourning this weekend believe me. Many parents with new born kids are at this moment finding out that their new born Baby has a serious heart defect and will need open heart surgery tomorrow to save them. Phil o donnel is a needle in the haystack believe me.

I can see where you are coming from Pete, especially after the incident you mention above. However, i think it's tantamount to how football is such a big deal in this country, that such an incident will always get major coverage

As for the people dying in Iraq, etc ... yep, it's sad, but unfortunately, whether or not we (or they) agree with these wars (and i dont) they did sign up with THE ARMY, THE NAVY, etc ..... there is always a risk in these career choices!!

I can see where you are coming from Pete, especially after the incident you mention above. However, i think it's tantamount to how football is such a big deal in this country, that such an incident will always get major coverage

As for the people dying in Iraq, etc ... yep, it's sad, but unfortunately, whether or not we (or they) agree with these wars (and i dont) they did sign up with THE ARMY, THE NAVY, etc ..... there is always a risk in these career choices!!

I have no problem that it has had huge coverage but if my workmate whom i have worked with for 30 years,dies I get one day off my work. Sorry it has gone over the top in my opinion.

Guest scotzine

yea but the problem is your mate is not in the public eye - he is not a fan favourite at motherwell - I doubt he has four young kids that will never see their dad again - and that your mate would not be in the papers unless he died in a work accident - Phil O'Donnell had a huge coverage in Scotland and the UK because it was a tragic incident on the football field - because as prideandpassion has said Football is the national past time and thats why it has had such a big coverage.

And true if your mate dies you only get one day off work - however if he dies in front of you liek what happened to the Motherwell players then there is a right not to go back to work for grief and shock etc.

You're trying to put the Phil O'Donnell death into a real world mentality trying to compare it to incidents that may happen in your life - however Football is not within the realm of the real world it is a separate body and we all know this - the media hype, the passion fans have for their clubs - the break away from their life - the game is put on a pedestal and if such a young guy dies tragically on the pitch then it will get huge coverage.

Do you think the coverage of Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnstone, George Best, Davie Cooper were all over the top as well??? Fans worshipped these guys and for someone like yourself coming along and saying that the coverage of their death is over the top is tantamount to ignoring what they achieved in the game what they gave to all the fans that watched them every week and more or less saying Football is meaningless and the players who don the shirts of the clubs we support are there just to fill the jersey.

Fans may argue over the games not being cancelled or games being cancelled but to say that the coverage was over the top is just wrong. Or maybe because it was a Motherwell player or an ex celtic player that died is why your saying that. If it was a Rangers player such as Barry Ferguson that died on the pitch and he got the same coverage you would probably say that he didnt get enough coverage as he was the Scotland and Rangers captain.