Donate To The Phil O'donnell Fund

Guest scotzine

Guest scotzine

Its got nothing to do with the player's club or who he played for - its the fact that a 35 year old footballer who thousands look up to died at a young age out of the blue with no warning and who has left behind four young kids and a young wife.

It wasnt in his bed it wasnt on a battlefield it didnt happen on the street it happened on the pitch in front of thousands of spectators and those watching on the tv also.

im with pete. its a shame, but no more of a shame than anyone else. its quite right the games were called off etc, but i certainly dont feel anymore agrieved at his death than a soldier or anyone else. its a loss for the footballing community that a good servant of the game has died, so its right that those who feel the need grieve, but i understand perfectly well those who dont think his life is inherently worth more than a soldiers or any other random person on the street - the idea of celebrity i just find distasteful, and, as with any other celebration of celebrity, i find the coverage surrounding this ott.

he was shaping and moulding the young players around him into a team that was capable of winning anything.

sorry to go back to this but this line is out of context surely. motherwell have had a good season so far but to say what you did here is plain silly. I know 'kind' things are always said when someone passes away but get real, to say motherwell will be capable of winning anything sounds silly, unless i've misread this :confused:

as i have said this was all very sudden, tragic and sad but i don' think it will make me or anyone else? start giving or give more to the charity because he has died like this. I would say maybe most people give to charity because they believe in it, or maybe have lost a close one to this or that or have this health or other problem themselves. if it does make others give more then great but i don't think preaching like this helps any, just my opinion nothing else........i won't say any more on this as enough's been said already.

im with pete. its a shame, but no more of a shame than anyone else. its quite right the games were called off etc, but i certainly dont feel anymore agrieved at his death than a soldier or anyone else. its a loss for the footballing community that a good servant of the game has died, so its right that those who feel the need grieve, but i understand perfectly well those who dont think his life is inherently worth more than a soldiers or any other random person on the street - the idea of celebrity i just find distasteful, and, as with any other celebration of celebrity, i find the coverage surrounding this ott.

What Barry said.

Scotzine, you are trying to make Phil O Donnell's sudden and tragic death more of en event than the average person who walks out into the street and gets mowed down by a boy racer.

A young boy in my village walked out onto the street and was mowed down - 10 years old, dead. Now, his death was no less tragic OR sudden than Phil O Donnell's was. Media coverage ? ZERO.

I have a good friend who was catapulted from his motorcycle over a speeding driver who ended up paralysed from the waist down. Any less tragic than Phil O Donnell ? No. Media coverage ? ZERO.

I had a lot of respect for Phil O Donnell and was as dumbfounded at it happening as anyone else - but how or why should his death be any more of a tragedy than any of those above ? It isn't.

If Phil O Donnell was playing for an amateur or junior team and this happened then he would have had about 2 paragraphs of media coverage.

yea but the problem is your mate is not in the public eye - he is not a fan favourite at motherwell - I doubt he has four young kids that will never see their dad again - and that your mate would not be in the papers unless he died in a work accident - Phil O'Donnell had a huge coverage in Scotland and the UK because it was a tragic incident on the football field - because as prideandpassion has said Football is the national past time and thats why it has had such a big coverage.

And true if your mate dies you only get one day off work - however if he dies in front of you liek what happened to the Motherwell players then there is a right not to go back to work for grief and shock etc.

You're trying to put the Phil O'Donnell death into a real world mentality trying to compare it to incidents that may happen in your life - however Football is not within the realm of the real world it is a separate body and we all know this - the media hype, the passion fans have for their clubs - the break away from their life - the game is put on a pedestal and if such a young guy dies tragically on the pitch then it will get huge coverage.

Do you think the coverage of Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnstone, George Best, Davie Cooper were all over the top as well??? Fans worshipped these guys and for someone like yourself coming along and saying that the coverage of their death is over the top is tantamount to ignoring what they achieved in the game what they gave to all the fans that watched them every week and more or less saying Football is meaningless and the players who don the shirts of the clubs we support are there just to fill the jersey.

Fans may argue over the games not being cancelled or games being cancelled but to say that the coverage was over the top is just wrong. Or maybe because it was a Motherwell player or an ex celtic player that died is why your saying that. If it was a Rangers player such as Barry Ferguson that died on the pitch and he got the same coverage you would probably say that he didnt get enough coverage as he was the Scotland and Rangers captain.

You may be into idolising celebrities but please excuse me if i am not. It is possibly age related as i attended Bobby Mckeans funeral when i was in my teens. These things possibly do make a bigger impact on you when you are young. It would possibly make a bigger impact on me if it was a Rangers player as i am more connected to Rangers than any other club. If you had asked me two weeks ago who phil o'donnel played for i doubt if i could have told you. Other teams just don't interest me as long as they turn up for the game. As for Barry Ferguson, a transfer out will do i wouldn't wish death on anyone.

I don't remember games being cancelled or the world stopping for George Best,Jim Baxter etc, Yes it was on the news and rightfully so as people are interested to know. There would have been a minutes silence across the country for all these players, i would imagine, and again rightly so.They were a great credit to football. Are their deaths more important than the soldiers who died in Iraq or even a baby that is probably dying somewhere at this time. Not for me.

In fact even Rangers players don't mean that much to me these days apart form their performance on the park. This week they are kissing the rangers badge and next week they kiss another teams badge.

Then there is the hypocritical side of it. How many of these people across the country that are so shocked and filling forums with messages that would bring tears to a glass eye were shouting extremities at him just a few weeks ago. I don't just mean Rangers supporters in this as the rest of SPL teams are also good in hurling extremities at players as well.

Personally i have enough problems trying to get my own family through life without worrying too much about people that i have never met.

As i said i think it is tragic that this happened, he was certainly far too young. Will it be life changing for me? No. Well only to the fact it reminds me again to enjoy life today because it could be finished tomorrow.

I understand some of the posts on this subject...but lets look at the original posters intentions here..

Donations to the British Heart Foundation...

Totally agree Steve. I give my donation to the Dutch Heart foundation as i and my family live in Holland.I do stress give generously as you never know when you need it for yourself or your family.

I understand some of the posts on this subject...but lets look at the original posters intentions here..

Donations to the British Heart Foundation...

aye, but the opening post was just saying give because phil odonnel, whereas pete was saying give because its inherently worth it. the rest is just discussion.