The Order of the Boot

9 hours ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

I've got a feeling we might punt Butland to help finance any new signings. He's our biggest asset by a country mile. 

Biggest asset in terms of his importance to the team? Sure.

Biggest asset in terms of monetary value? No. He's a 31-year-old 'Keeper. He's not worth much. 

Perhaps easier to say who we'd keep so from all those who have featured at least once this season (or considered a first team player), I've highlighted those I'd keep in blue and those out of contract (or on loan deals due to expire) in orange and those I'd try to move on in red. If I'm not fussy either way, I'll leave them as is.

For info there are 37 players on this list...

Goalkeepers

Butland

McCrorie
McLaughlin

Defenders

Tavernier

Sterling

Devine

Goldson

Souttar

Balogun

Davies

King

Yilmaz

Barisic

Yfeko

Midfielders

Lundstram

Diomande

Raskin

Jack

Cifuentes

Rice

Cantwell

Lawrence

Dowell

Hagi

Lowry

McKinnon

Attackers

Dessers

Danilo

Sima

Silva

Wright

Cortes

McCausland

Lammers

Roofe

Matondo

Lovelace

So from a squad of 37, I have only 9 players I'd really want to keep and, if we're honest, I think from those Butland and Yilmaz will probably be sold to accommodate any new signings leaving us with just 7 players plus Tav/Goldson plus 7 fringe/youth players, meaning we'd need to sign at least 12 players in the summer if we accept returning loanees such as Hagi, Cifu and Lammers will also be moved on permanently. 

I'd imagine both Diomande and Cortes will be retained (I think the former is already agreed) so that takes us down to 10. If possible, I'd also be happy to bring back Sima and give a (suitable) extension to Lundstram. That takes us to 8 players; not an unrealistic amount to sign in one window given we did the same last summer but it could be more difficult if fans really want rid of Tav, Goldson and Lundstram - three key/influential players whether we like it or not.

However, it's clearly crucial that we maximise the quality of those that come in and nothing is guaranteed there in terms of their contribution. Long term injuries to Danilo, Dowell and Cortes shows one very bad outcome whilst the rest of our recruitment last summer really was abysmal with only Butland, Sima and Dessers (to a limited extent in his case) offering any kind of positive return. We can't afford another poor window - both in financial and sporting terms.

This summer really will be a huge one in so many ways for the club. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Biggest asset in terms of his importance to the team? Sure.

Biggest asset in terms of monetary value? No. He's a 31-year-old 'Keeper. He's not worth much. 

English teams will play a premium for him - I'd expect in the region of £10-15m. 

18 minutes ago, Frankie said:

English teams will play a premium for him - I'd expect in the region of £10-15m. 

I don't see that at all. 

I'd snap their hands off. 

Just now, Rousseau said:

I don't see that at all. 

I'd snap their hands off. 

He arguably still has at least 5 years at the top level in him and could still easily be picked in the England Euros squad so isn't just a quality 'keeper but fills Euro quotas as well.

£10m is pocket change for English sides.

31 minutes ago, Frankie said:

He arguably still has at least 5 years at the top level in him and could still easily be picked in the England Euros squad so isn't just a quality 'keeper but fills Euro quotas as well.

£10m is pocket change for English sides.

It's a good argument, but I still do not see that kind of money involved.

English 'Keepers transferred in the last 4-5 years:

Name Age Year Joined Fee
Tom Heaton 33 19/20 Aston Villa Premier League €8.80m
Aaron Ramsdale 22 20/21 Sheff Utd Premier League €20.50m
Jack Butland 27 20/21 Crystal Palace Premier League €1.10m
David Button 31 20/21 West Brom Premier League €1.10m
Aaron Ramsdale 23 21/22 Arsenal Premier League €28.00m
Joe Hart 34 21/22 Celtic Premiership €1.20m
Nick Pope 30 22/23 Newcastle Premier League €11.50m
Karl Darlow 32 22/23 Hull City Championship Loan fee: €157k
Daniel Bentley 29 22/23 Wolves Premier League €57k
Dean Henderson 26 23/24 Crystal Palace Premier League €17.50m
James Trafford 20 23/24 Burnley Premier League €17.30m
Karl Darlow 32 23/24 Leeds Championship €400k

The blues go for high transfer fees because they are young (except Heaton, maybe Pope) and going to be first-choice. 

The oranges go for pittance because they are older and going to be back-ups. 

Joe Hart. :D 

I think Butland is in the Orange category. IMO.

There are honestly very few I would keep, it's too hard to select just 5. And some of the players like Jack and Tav, I love them, but we need to freshen up and bring in a new mentality and ensure we aren't signing injury prone players in the future, I don't think it has ever worked for us.