The Order of the Boot

21 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

My issue with those wanting to get rid of Tavernier is that he's one of our best players. 

Surely you get rid of the rubbish first?

I think there is a school of thought around our team is pretty much geared up to allow Tav to do what Tav does. This is then to the detriment of the other attacking areas of the team. I'm not arguing for or against it, jut trying to add a bit of context.

FWIW i do think he is an enigma and we need to enjoy him while we can. 

27 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

My issue with those wanting to get rid of Tavernier is that he's one of our best players. 

I'm not convinced he is.  His positioning and inability to tackle are factors in a lot of goals we concede. 

3 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm not convinced he is.  His positioning and inability to tackle are factors in a lot of goals we concede. 

Trent Alexander-Arnold is also suspect defensively. 

Just because he has flaws in his game doesn't mean that he's not one of our best players. 

34 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

He is one of our best players despite his defensive weaknesses. What does that say about the others?

Defensive weaknesses are fatal for a defender.

24 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Surely you get rid of the rubbish first?

Stats wise no doubt. Those are envied by most wingers and even strikers. Performance-wise ... you are the chap with the stats, what's his cross-/pass-completion ratio? Is it wrong to wish that a defender is doing his prime job first and foremost? There are reasons why concede bad goals time and again, and since "we play as a team", we also lose as a team. Our centre-halfs are more often exposed for a reason. Hence, I suggested a 3-at-the-back and let Tavernier run his race on the right wing as per usual. We need to plug the gaps.

As for the rubbish ... no-one wants to get rid of Tavernier, I would assume?

6 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

Approaching prime for a ‘keeper, surely.

That's true, but teams don't pay a premium for a 'Keeper at such an age. 

The only comparable transfer was Pope (30) to Newcastle for £9M and he was a standout in the league.  

6 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

He is one of our best players despite his defensive weaknesses. What does that say about the others?

Defensive weaknesses are fatal for a defender.

Only if defenders just defend which hasn't been the case for 20+ years. 

See Trent Alexander-Arnold.