Summer 2024: Rip it up and start again?

A lot of what happens in the summer will depend on grabbing the title and with it a guaranteed CL group income, no matter how the results will go there. Should we achive this, Sima is probably highest on the agenda.

Cortes and Silva at best new loans, as their contracts are long at their parent clubs, Clement hooks Silva far too often of late and Cortes has barely set a foot on Scottish soil. We shall see.

Diomande (obligation to buy) and Raskin are for the creative CM role that we have seriously been lacking, but both don't look physically made to complete a full Premiership run. Lundstram and Jack ... many thanks for the memories. Maybe Sterling can step into that enforcer role, but we do need one or two more.

We need at least two more centre-halfs, since Balogun won't be here next season, Davies most likely neither. 

Hagi (2026), Lammers (2027), Cifuentes (2027) are out on loan and might come back for the manager "to have a look", while Devine (2025)  has been playing football again with Motherwell (he was not used by them for half a season, it seems), as a left and right midfielder. Still baffled by Beale's decision to loan out Hagi ... and it backfired handsomely.

Edited by der Berliner

36 minutes ago, lenny3k said:

Also, very hopeful we can get Cortes back, what do we think that chances of that actually are though?

Will depend on his injury I'd imagine.

I think we were very keen to buy him but that may have changed given we've not really seen enough of him. Diomande is a loan with an obligation to buy so that deal is agreed already.

Sima I doubt we can afford but another year's loan might be attractive to both parties unless his form gets him a better move. Silva I don't think I'd keep.

19 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Every Summer it's 'this is huge' etc.

It's getting boring (not having a go at the article, btw, just the general situation).  

It is beyond tiresome but not any less true.

The fact that many supporters are asking for Tav, Goldson and Lundstram all to be moved on makes it even more important we get the replacements right.

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

Will depend on his injury I'd imagine.

I think we were very keen to buy him but that may have changed given we've not really seen enough of him. Diomande is a loan with an obligation to buy so that deal is agreed already.

Sima I doubt we can afford but another year's loan might be attractive to both parties unless his form gets him a better move. Silva I don't think I'd keep.

I still think from the little we have seen of Cortes, he would be a great asset for us so hope we can do something to bring him back, whether its a loan to buy or a straight buy (at the right price of course)

Agree about Sima, but every passing game I find myself wondering just how a scout saw Silva and thought thats a player to spend £35-40 million on. Don't get me wrong, in the right league and with the right players around him, I think he could be a great player, but never a £20million+ player