Nacho Novo: I'll Win Rangers The Title For Walter Smith

Feb 29 2008 By Keith Jackson

NACHO NOVO is desperate to fire Rangers to the title - to repay manager Walter Smith for saving his Ibrox career.

Novo notched two goals on Wednesday as Smith's side hammered Hearts 4-0 to stay in pole position in the title chase.

The Spaniard's double came just a week after his crucial strike in Athens which saw Rangers pip Panathinaikos to a place in the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Now rejuvenated Novo - who was recently handed a new two-year deal by Smith - is determined to keep the goals coming as Rangers close in on silverware.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport last night Novo said: "I would have given everything for the team even if Walter had not given me a new contract - my mentality has always been to do my best for Rangers.

"But the gaffer has really made me feel confident and I love playing for him. Every time I score a goal I think I'm paying him back for the faith he showed in me.

"He could have let me move on because I was not one of his players but when he gave me a new deal I really felt as if he wanted me here and that's a great feeling because he is a top, top manager.

"Now I want to keep scoring goals for him and help him to win trophies for this club. It would be a dream if I could end my career under Walter Smith at Rangers.

"All the players feel the same. He has brought back a great spirit to the club and everyone wants to be apart of it.

"A few years ago I would get angry if I was left out of the team - I still don't like it much now - but I understand that Walter is making the decisions that are best for the team and for the club. I back him 100 per cent - we all do.

"There is a long way to go in the title race - 12 more games. It's important we don't look too far ahead because Celtic are a great side and are pushing us all the way.

"Gordon Strachan is doing a great job with them and they play some fantastic football.

"But we are ready for the fight and we just have to keep winning to stay ahead.We want to win this title - we owe it to Walter."

Novo then heaped praise on keeper Allan McGregor who he believes has been the unsung hero of Rangers' campaign.

He said: "It's time people gave Allan the credit he deserves. For me he is the best goalkeeper in Scotland and one of the best in Europe.

"I'm not trying to start an argument about who is better, Allan or Artur Boruc because both are excellent goalkeepers.

"But if you are asking my opinion, I would say Allan is the best in Scotland by a mile and probably in the top five or six keepers in Europe.

"He's been fantastic for us since he came into the team last season and the whole team have so much confidence in him.

"He's still young for a keeper but he has unbelievable experience. For me, he should be the No.1 for the national team because he could cope with that easily."

No matter what you have to love the wee guy. He has a real Rangers heart!!!

He definately appreciates being at a big club,and this shows in his performances as he always gives 100%,and you cant really ask for much more.Keep up the good work wee man and you'll get your wish of the SPL title

Whats the story with his contract? Is he out of a deal at the summer?

He is a player we should tie down for another 3 years. He loves the club, plays with a smile on his face and gives everything - an asset IMO. He always offers something coming off the bench in any game. He is the sort of squad player we need and at the moment should be in the first XI.

Probably one of my fave Gers players at the moment.