Barry Ferguson should worry about his Scotland slot, warns Craig Brown

Mar 27 2008

Scotland skipper Barry Ferguson has been warned his days as an automatic pick are in danger by former boss Craig Brown.

The Rangers midfielder missed George Burley's debut game as Scotland boss after withdrawing through injury.

And with Stephen McManus standing in as skipper, and the Celtic duo of Scott Brown and Paul Hartley performing well in the Scotland midfield, Brown has warned the 30-year-old he may find his time as a first-choice player under threat.

"I said before the match that, of the seven named call-off players, I don't think any more than two would be first-choice players anyway," he said

"He will obviously have to consider the reintroduction of the captain Barry Ferguson, but of the others, I think they'll have to fight for their places.

"The two central midfield players, Brown and Hartley, did very well, so even Barry might find it difficult to be an automatic selection."

Stop talking out your arse Craig Brown!! We might have accepted your comments if there were better players than Paul Hartley or Scott Brown to select. Neither of these two played anything more than OK ,Gavin Rae looked more at home in the midfield i'd say.

Ive never heard so much bollocks. As Frankie says he hasnt been on top form but he is still way ahead of the pecking order to play for Scotland. Who is going to play instead Barry Robson, Gavin Rae or that fud Teale?? :fish:

I think the insinuation that they will lose their places and find it hard to get them back because they pulled out of the squad is a bit pathetic.

What can they do? Play while injured? Stupid comments. A player is more likely to get picked if he takes care of his body.

We don't have many midfielders of the quality of Ferguson to choose from so I can't see him not getting picked if he's available.

Why don't his comments also apply to Brown who is having a bit of a long form slump? However, Brown is another player who will be one of the mainstays in midfield for Scotland whether he pulls out injured now and again or not.

A small country like Scotland cannot afford to mess about with their best players and drop them on a whim to punish them for being injured. What a petty man.

No wonder we were so crap under Craig Brown and rarely played our best team.