Rangers have the stamina for fight on four fronts, vows Ally McCoist

Apr 18 2008 By Keith Jackson

ALLY McCOIST last night insisted that burn-out will not see Rangers' quest for a quadruple go up in flames.

McCoist was rolled out to face the media yesterday as part of his duties as "caretaker" boss for the Ibrox club's Scottish Cup run.

He has been handed increased responsibility for team affairs by manager Walter Smith and will again be the front man at Hampden on Sunday as Rangers bid to see off St Johnstone and reach the Final.

But while Smith and his players are still licking their wounds after Wednesday night's Old Firm defeat, McCoist remains adamant Rangers are not about to run out of gas on the last leg of their incredible journey towards a clean sweep.

He said: "There will be questions levelled against us now, I'm aware of that. As far as I'm concerned it's questions that must be levelled at the players.

"This was always going to happen at some stage this season. So far the lads have answered all the questions and I don't have any doubts that they will keep on answering positively.

"There are a lot of strong characters in the dressing room. We'll need those strong characters, that's for sure.

"But we've never, ever said that the league campaign was over. We have a cup game next but I have no doubts we'll bounce back.

"I see comparisons with the team I played in back in 1992. There is a real togetherness and there is a real team spirit. There are characters who just don't know when they're beaten and you learn more about yourself in defeat.

"Just like that 1992 side this lot are prepared to roll up their sleeves when they have to and that's exactly what they will do now."

By the time Rangers get back to league business at Hibs on May 4, Celtic could have opened up an eight-point gap at the top of the SPL pile. But McCoist said: "I wasn't aware of that because I only look at the next game.

"We have a lot of games to play in a short space of time. It's a problem but it's one we will have to address. It's a case of getting on with it.

"I'm not overly concerned about the burn-out issue because we have a squad of players who can handle it.

"We asked for one game off so people could throw that back in our faces. We could have squeezed games in had we looked at things a little bit better but this is the situation we find ourselves in and we have to deal with it. And I have no concerns with this squad of players."

McCoist is relishing the chance to work with a group of players who could yet go down as the most successful Rangers side of all time.

A win over Saints on Sunday will see the quad squad move one step closer to their improbable dream. And McCoist said: "When we pick the team we all pitch in but Walter obviously has the final say. For the cup games he is letting me handle the media and take the team talks - but he is still the manager.

"I might have more responsibility but I would be foolish not to ask him for advice - even if he gave me full permission to pick the team.

"But I do have a lot more to do with the cup games in terms of organising things and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

"When I think back to what I was doing 18 months ago, with my TV work and that kind of thing, then yes, I must admit, I'm very surprised to be sitting here now preparing a team for a Scottish Cup semi-final. Very surprised - but delighted.

"It's been a fantastic year. We've had a lot of highs and then we had a massive disappointment on Wednesday night. But you sit back and think that might not be such a bad thing. It's all part of the learning curve."

Never realized that Walter was letting him basically take charge of the team during the cup run. Another season under Smith then McCoist to take over?

There is no chance he'll take over till at minimum Walter's contract has expired. It's still got two years to run.

He's being groomed but the matter of when he takes over is moot. He could even go somewhere else first as full manager before coming back.

The way it's going, I can see Smith signing another three year contract before thinking about whether to pack it in when he's 65 - if his results allow that is. I think he's enjoying too much and his spell with Sir Alex has shown him, if you enjoy it and you are successful you can keep on going as long as you like.

He's tasted the retirement life and came back to football, he tasted the more easy going job of Scotland manager, but actually wanted more, and came back to Ibrox for what he professed was his dream job.

I really can't see him leaving it any time soon, whether Ally wants the job or not.

Oh come on Calscot....... my last three posts have all agreed with you, something is seriously wrong ;)

Walter will stay through this contract and if things are going well may even add another. I think McCoist truly appreciates working with someone who has a huge amount of credibility in the game and I doubt AM will mind waiting even 5 years to be able to take over the club he loves.