RST Call for Adequate Supporter Provision in Manchester

http://www.rangerssupporterstrust.co.uk/rstsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=205&Itemid=1

After Rangers� superb achievement in qualifying for the 2008 UEFA Cup Final in Manchester, the RST are looking forward to all the relevant authorities working with the club and fans to ensure the maximum possible levels of security, safety and convenience for the travelling fans.

While the RST understands the sentiment behind the Greater Manchester Police (GMP) preference for ticket less fans not to travel, unfortunately this is neither realistic nor as positive an approach as we�d like to see taken.

With Manchester hoteliers already full to capacity, and conservative estimates of at least 100,000 travelling Rangers fans, its imperative the local authorities plan ahead for the inevitable red, white and blue invasion. The very least which should be put in place for the fansââ?¬â?¢ arrival are large ââ?¬Ë?Fanzonesââ?¬â?¢ incorporating large screens for the game, refreshment vendors, fan information points and sanitary/waste facilities ââ?¬â?? all with appropriate stewarding/policing.

The RST recommends that GMP, the Manchester City Council, Rangers FC and all fan groups meet before the event to ensure all of the above well in advance of next Wednesday�s match. The RST also invite Gerry Sutcliffe MP (Minister for Culture, Media and Sport) to oversee that preparations for the event are suitable for the numbers of fans expected to travel. Manchester has had recent experience of holding large-scale major events and Rangers fans should be treated in the same professional, courteous manner as the visitors to the Commonwealth Games were in 2002.

Manchester hosting a UEFA Cup Final involving one of the UK�s most successful football clubs should not be seen as some sort of problematic obstacle but as another opportunity to promote our national sport while welcoming an away support which has incurred no arrests on their European travels this season.

You know it makes sense. If Manchester police\Council do not wise up then i see Barcelona 72 happening again. the only way to stop Rangers supporters going down will be to close the border, surely that is not an option in this day and age. As has been said they must operate communal area's and let the Glasgow police, police it with help from the Manchester police. A friendly atmosphere has to start with the police.

Should Manchester make it difficult for Bears to attend this Final, I'd hope that the various World bodies covering all sports take that into account when considering them [or any other English city] for any premier event.

i reckon that will be stopping buses left right and centre once you get over the border. guarentee that every bus will have drink on it.

i reckon that will be stopping buses left right and centre once you get over the border. guarentee that every bus will have drink on it.

Think the Criminal Justice [scotland] Act only covers here bud.

I don't think England have the same draconian Laws down there.

Think the Criminal Justice [scotland] Act only covers here bud.

I don't think England have the same draconian Laws down there.

I think there's some law where they can stop you if your travelling to a same day sporting event and you have alcohol ( buses/ cars )....common sense has to apply here...the Rangers supporters are going to be there en masse...they have to deal with it and not try and stop us

They are absolutely mad to not consider opening Old Trafford. That way all the Bears get together for a sing song and watch the game on screens yet the police can look after us in a big group and we are contained in a certain area bar those at the game.

Obviously some will stay in the city centre but they shouldnt have bidded for the Final if they werent prepared for taking any amount of fans. What if Everton or Spurs had reached the final, Im sure there would have been masses coming from them aswell and god forbid had it been a Rangers v Everton final.

This is a nonsense, its a huge day out and they only need to look at Rangers behaviour when travelling. They are actually probably worried about the behaviour of Man City and Man Utd causals while Rangers visit.