They really are making a big deal out of something that is normal at ANY event attended by a load of people standing together outside - open air concerts for example.

The pictures depicting it as akin to a war zone are grossly unfair.

Now, I really hate litter and littering and even take the time to pick a lot of it up in the vicinity of my house and at work. However, I think there is mitigation here.

It's obvious the fans will have bought a lot of bottles and cans, be it of alcohol or soft drinks, as well as food for the day. They were all squashed in tight making moving around very difficult and there is no way they could all keep going back and forth to the bins.

Ideally maybe everyone could have carried a black bin bag and disposed of their own rubbish, but in today's society that's never going to happen.

The council should have been prepared for this and paid a lot of overtime to an army of cleaners to clear the rubbish during the night. Edinburgh do this every night during the Festival.

I think that ironically, if say only a quarter of the actual rubbish was dropped, it wouldn't have made the job easier in the slightest. It would still be spread over the same area.

It was completely negligent of the council to not start cleaning until the next day with what looked like too small a workforce.

When I was stoating out to the toilets you were standing in glass bottles, and kicking cans and shit out the way before you could move. Was rubbish EVERYWHERE. Even in the numerous service stations that we stopped at.

Will taker a while to clean it all up.

I agree bud. Where I was in Albert Square you couldn't move after 4pm and coupled with the fact that bins in the square were non-existent what were fans meant to do? I left at 5pm so god knows what it was like after that. Again, the council just totally under estimated the event in general.

One thing's for sure, the council workers will be cleaning up the litter for weeks.

I agree bud. Where I was in Albert Square you couldn't move after 4pm and coupled with the fact that bins in the square were non-existent what were fans meant to do? I left at 5pm so god knows what it was like after that. Again, the council just totally under estimated the event in general.

One thing's for sure, the council workers will be cleaning up the litter for weeks.

Exactly. We were in Albert Square and there was nowhere to put it. I think that, like music festivals, the decision was made that it would be more sensible to accept it and clean up afterwards. But after the trouble, it's been turned into a big deal.

Guest Ibroxian

No more litter than is normally on a Manchester street on a Friday, Saturday night!

I can't beleive that much litter could be accumulated, did you bring it down with you in rucksacks? Though since bin collection is every two weeks now and bins are chipped and fines issued for exessive waste I wouldn't be surprised if the Manc wives tiptoed out after all was quiet and uptipped their wheelies! Empty wheelies = good theivin' storage!

Why not just concrete over the lot?

Agreed Calscot, we never hear of events such as T in the park being like bombs dropped etc.

What do they expect when there would have been a few bins around the city busting full anyway.

And having a few portacabin toliets for 120,000 people. Dundee has a population a little more that that yet there wouldnt be far off a toilet for every 4 persons (houses etc). Whst do they expect when so many are coming down for a street party!

The worst decision was not opening Old Trafford for the match, everyone would have been under the eyes of the police then.

The worst decision was not opening Old Trafford for the match, everyone would have been under the eyes of the police then.

Totally. I seemed the most sensible option beforehand and in hindsight, it sppears even more farcical not to have opened it up.