DaMarcus Beasley

Beasley Helps US To Next Round

DAMARCUS Beasley continued his summer of football yesterday as the USA completed a comprehensive 9-0 aggregate win over Barbados.

Beasley played almost 80 minutes as the US national team earned a place in the four team semi final group of their World Cup qualifying campaign with a 1-0 victory over their Caribbean neighbours.

The former PSV winger followed up his 90 minutes appearance in last week's 8-0 home win with another important contribution to the USA's long qualifying schedule.

Beasley will now enjoy a well earned rest with the American's not involved in qualification action again until August when they will kick of their semi final group of four alongside Guatemala, Trinidad & Tobago and Cuba.

The run of games over the summer has aided his return to full fitness after missing nearly six months of last season with a knee injury suffered against Stuttgart.

And he now feels he is getting closer to 100% after playing his part in the US build up with friendly games against England, Spain and Argentina and both matches against Barbados.

He said: "My knee is probably 80 to 85 per cent now. My quickness is my biggest attribute though and I need to get that back.

"It has been a long time, but I feel confident that I'm back. I'm excited and I've just enjoying every day being out here with the boys from the national team. This is what I love to do.

"It's been good to have this schedule at this type of level over the summer. I'll be fresh for pre-season and then looking to win the SPL title."

Beasley can expect another busy schedule next season with the US facing qualifying fixtures in August, September, October and November that could lead to a number of trans-atlantic trips for the Gers winger.

Looks like he could be important for us next season. I thought he did 'ok' for us when he first featured, BUT, did feel he looked slightly lightweight and there is a bit more competition for LM/F now.

Looks like he could be important for us next season. I thought he did 'ok' for us when he first featured, BUT, did feel he looked slightly lightweight and there is a bit more competition for LM/F now.

I said it last season and was proven right so i will say it again. He will not play more than 15-20 games before being injured. He does add a lot of speed and is a good player but that injury virus makes him an expensive supporter in the stand.

I hope we're both proved wrong Pete.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Lafferty can play in this position, I'll admit. He may be young, but back to the old saying (please WS, remember) if your good enough, your old enough!!

To be fair to RUN DMB, it was a horrific injury and one sustained whilst he was cementing a staring place in the team. I was impressed with what I saw from Beasley last season, especially in Europe - he offered genuine pace and could keep the ball, create chances and get set-pieces in our favour.

He also, IMO put in a MOTM performance in the Scottish Cup Final where he once again looked fast and created and scored a goal. I hope / think that he'll be a big player for us next season.

Cammy F

Out of interest.

Pete, when was his last injury prior to joining us? I know he was deemed injury prone but dont know when the last injury was?

As far as i can see it must have been 2006 but i must admit i was surprised to see he actually played 29 and 27 games in his seasons with PSV not as bad as i thought.