It's accepted in some quarters (well, by me anyway) that the JJB deal is good for the club financially. However the major downside is that the availability of merchandise has become very limited, even more so overseas, and our hugh street presence has all but disappeared.

There are many stories of poor service in JJB stores and Celtic stuff being given a higher profile.

Basically the club is benefitting financially but the fans and the profile of the club are suffering.

Do people think it is a worthwhile cost and we were correct to go with the deal?

My view is that it was correct that we went for it, and cash in the bank is more important as it allows us to strengthen our team. What do you think?

An interesting topic that will always provoke much debate.

In today's SPL climate, finance is king - especially when one considers the often unrealistic expectations of some fans. There's no doubt the JJB deal provides financial security for the club and the money is vital in terms of of our bank balance each year.

However, as you touch on, we should be pressurising JJB to ensure they still provide a decent service for our supporters to use. I found it incredible that around the time of the UEFA Cup final, you could not buy an adult Rangers strip anywhere.

Obviously we don't know the ins and outs of the deal but if you think of the companies involved in it - Rangers, JJB, Umbro and Carling/Coors - then I'm surprised any problems have not be ironed out before now.

Before the JJB deal we were making around the same money from our retail arm but I believe there was/is future risk with regard to that market (Walmart?) collapsing. Add in increased overheads for all businesses right now, we've probably gained more than we see on the face of it.

Time will tell whether the deal was successful but initially at least it seems satisfactory enough.

If i walk into a sport shop here in Holland there are almost always Celtic tops hanging but i have never seen a Rangers top in a shop.

If JJB are willing to pay to not sell tops it is there worry i suppose.

Money counts these days and an UEFA final does more for our profile than a few tops in the shops.

Although our negative football in the final took away any support from foreign countries and did our profile no good at all.

Guest Ernest Worthing

There's no doubt in my mind that financially we are better off with the JJB deal. We sold at the top of the market - the only way for our future retail profits was down.

Also it wouldn't surprise me if JJB tried to get out of the deal early, perhaps even paying us to do so - no info, just a hunch.

It is likely that in due course most football tops will be bought in supermarkets and for a much lower price than presently. We are shielded from this.

But as for the intangibles - image, reputation, shop display etc - we don't seem to have built into the deal enough in the way of safeguards.

Guest modman

yeah the shop in my town is rubbish and we have one of the biggest rangers clubs outside glasgow so there are plenty of people that would rather buy from there than online, other than the new top i myself buy online from the megastore.

can get the home and away stuff easy from the store other merchandises not so easy ie gollie tops trianing tops...

Guest ackbar

One thing is for sure, we would have been better off without it before the UEFA Cup Final.

Think of all the shirt sales before the final that JJB get a cut of.

I think it was a terrible deal from start to finish, I hate to say it but Celtic knocked it off with their Nike deal. That is the type of deal we USED to be involved in but sadly no longer are

One thing is for sure, we would have been better off without it before the UEFA Cup Final.

Think of all the shirt sales before the final that JJB get a cut of.

I think it was a terrible deal from start to finish, I hate to say it but Celtic knocked it off with their Nike deal. That is the type of deal we USED to be involved in but sadly no longer are

Why do you think the Nike deal is better for Celtic than our deals are?

I really wish for the day we go back to a big-time Kit manufacturer (Nike/Adidas) who could actually market our brand properly instead of trying to do it ourselves.

Look at the big European Clubs, who manufactures their kit? We are in a position now to enhance our sales after Manchester. Its the only way you get shelf space in other countries in the World and get our brand across.

Saying that, i was in Sau Paulo in December and we were there alongside the 'Tic and .......Hearts!!!