Walter Smith: Judge Kenny Miller on the present, not the past

WALTER SMITH has finally waded into the row over Kenny Miller's move to Rangers and told disgruntled fans: Judge him on the present, not the past.

The Ibrox manager breezed back into Murray Park last week ready for battle - less than five weeks after Gers' Scottish Cup triumph put the lid on an astonishing 68-game rollercoaster of a season.

And as he talked over his hopes and dreams for the coming campaign Smith insisted the decisions he has taken this summer will make the team stronger.

Especially the one to sign former Gers and Celtic striker Miller.

The �£1.9million move has been met with a poisonous response from the punters. And they insist it's not because of Miller's time in the Hoops and the chest-thumping celebration of his first Old Firm goal but purely a judgment of the player's ability.

However, speaking out for the first time on his decision to pick up the Scotland ace from Derby, Smith said: "In terms of the reaction generated I'd just ask everybody not to make judgments on previous situations.

"Kenny is a far more experienced player now and I'm sure he will be a big benefit to us.

"And if the supporters see that's the case I'm sure they will get over their misgivings.

"The Celtic thing doesn't come into it. I'd hope those days are over. From my point of view that aspect didn't come into it.

"Kenny was someone I thought could improve the team from last season and that was the most important thing.

"He has reached a stage in his career, at 29, where he will be able to use his experience.

"He's a terrific team player, a willing runner. We need that - a bit better movement."

The bulk of Smith's summer work has been on his frontline and he has also added Kyle Lafferty from Burnley plus Andrius Velicka from Viking Stavanger.

Veteran defender Davie Weir is expected to pen a year-long deal this week while midfielder Steve Davis could yet make last term's loan from Fulham permanent.

However, Smith reckons that's a stand-off which could last until the end of August.

He said: "The Davis one is ongoing. We've made an inquiry and know what Fulham are asking for at the moment."

The Ibrox boss hasn't shipped anyone out yet but a changing of the guard is on the cards with Daniel Cousin and Jean-Claude Darcheville the likely victims.

However, Smith denied he was ready to offload Lee McCulloch to Stoke and said: "No, no chance of that. We've not had interest in anyone apart from Alan Gow.

"I'm not looking to bring in many more because we have quite a big squad. If one or two we've been looking at become available we will go for them."

It's believed Smith wants more of a work ethic from his hitmen and reckons the new boys will give him greater versatility.

Speaking about �£3m Lafferty, the Gers gaffer said: "It's a bit of a departure for us, paying a wee bit of money for a 20-year-old.

"Myself and other managers previously have gone for more experienced players.

"At the top end of the striking market it's impossible for us to get players. While it might take Kyle a while to settle I'm hoping he will be good for us, preferably in the near future.

"As for Velicka I just needed a wee bit extra. I always liked him when we played Hearts.

"And we still have Kris Boyd. He was our top scorer last season and I hope he does it again.

"Although we have brought in other strikers it doesn't mean he is going to leave. But the new players will give us options."

That ability to change the shape of his side could be crucial as Smith looks to build on last term's European adventures. He faced criticism for his one-up approach in the Champions League and the run to the UEFA Cup Final.

But with the first steps through the minefield of Champions League qualifying just four weeks away Smith insists he would take an identical start to last season.

Victories over Zeta and Red Star Belgrade catapulted Gers into their group of death - one they almost survived after seven points from the first nine against Stuttgart, Lyon and Barcelona.

The Ibrox boss said: "The financial implications of getting to the Champions League are huge. We have to make sure we're properly prepared.

"With the experience and confidence we gained from last year's run everyone will be ready.

"I'd absolutely take the start we made last term. It would be a really good start - even though we lost three games in the first quarter of the league season."

The lights going out on Rangers SPL campaign as the rigours of the run-in swamped his squad was Smith's biggest regret last term.

He said: "The league, when it became obvious winning it gave you automatic qualification into the Champions League, became a big one for us but unfortunately we missed out.

"However, I wouldn't have changed last season for anything."

:eek: :eek:

I hope that statement is just a red herring, if not then i see the same midfield slog we have had for the last 3 years.

:eek: :eek:

I hope that statement is just a red herring, if not then i see the same midfield slog we have had for the last 3 years.

And Davis still hasnt signed!!!

He says the only interest has been in Gow so what about Buffel, Hemdani, Darcheville and Cousin who have all been rumoured to leave.

We do have a big squad when you include all these players but still not a settled XI.

I read a similar piece earlier and thought the same. I really hope we're not finished, but it does sound like we need players to leave before signing anyone else. That's worrying tbh if we're not going to sign a creative midfielder.

I think once pre season is under way and now the Euro's are over, clubs will become much more active and we may see 1 or 2 players moving out soon paving way for a few more signings.