So is he any good? Nobody's said much and I haven't heard of him.

We've just signed 3 players for 6M and are set to spend more, and one of those players will cost more than this guy. So I don't understand the ambition bit - would we have been more ambitious if we signed the Dutchman instead of Lafferty, and if so, can you enlighten us to why that is so?

Not looking for an argument, I just don't get your point... :confused:[/quote

Check out Pete's post - he gives a YouTube link. Dunno an awful lot about him, just making the point that we don't seem to cast our net wide enough these days. Also Holland seems to represent good value. Lafferty's got 10 goals in 600 games; not trying to put him down. I thought Emnes might solve our right side problem - that's not really Lafferty territory.

I know what you're getting at but I'm sure you could find a few links on youtube for millions of players who have scored great goals, doesn't mean they are good players or would do a job for us.

He is probably a decent enough player with potential for someone to pay decent money for him.

He has scored 9 goals in 56 games for Sparta, although 8 were in his last 10 games at the end of last season.

Check out Pete's post - he gives a YouTube link. Dunno an awful lot about him, just making the point that we don't seem to cast our net wide enough these days. Also Holland seems to represent good value. Lafferty's got 10 goals in 600 games; not trying to put him down. I thought Emnes might solve our right side problem - that's not really Lafferty territory.

I just think it's hard to say we have no ambition for not spending 3.2M on one player, when we've spent that amount on another.

To me our ambition will be reflected by how much we spend altogether (although spending more than you can afford is hardly ambitious - just how ambitious were Gretna?), but more importantly how high the quality is that we bring in.

It seems obvious that in terms of spending we're not exactly being under-ambitious so my point is that I have no knowledge to believe Marvin is of higher quality than Lafferty (albeit in a different position- I'm comparing because the fees are similar), and I don't think a youtube video will convince me.

The Dutchman may be better than the Irishman but I'd prefer to wait and see before making a judgement.

I agree that Holland is probably better value than England but there are other factors to take into account - Premiership wages are out of our league; Lafferty is very young with rumours of great potential; he counts as one of our under 21 players in the squad; he fits into our model of a team with a base of Scots and NI players; and our manager seems to like him.

If we'd spent nothing then your post would make more sense to me but as far as I know we've so far spend more than 'boro so to me now is not the time to conclude our ambition is less just because they sign someone you like for a good price.

It's not an 'either/or' for me with Lafferty/Emnes (and maybe Emnes isn't the ultimate answer anyway); it's more that the right side of our attacking midfield looks mighty threadbare at the moment, and I've been racking my brains to see who could possibly plug that gap. Just happens that Emnes' name came up because of the 'Boro link. A Lafferty-type on the right would probably be ideal!:)

Everyone talks about the Ajax youth system but that has long dried up. The team with the best scouting system in Europe are Herenveen. They just pick up one top player after another. Alves , huntelaar, Allbeck and most recently Miralem Sulejmani who Ajax have now paid 16.5mill euros for. Herenveen payed Partizan Belgrade a youth fee.