Double role for Rangers coach Ian Durrant

WALTER SMITH has named Ian Durrant Rangers' new first-team coach and Euro spymaster.

The former midfielder is in Lithuania to check on Kaunas, who are expected to be his side's opponents in their Champions League second-round qualifier.

But when he returns Durrant will be asked to play a more active role with the top team.

Smith said: "There's an awkward stage between leaving the Under-19s and making the first team.

"Ian will take those players under his wing and take special training sessions on match days when they're not involved.

"There will also be scouting missions when myself, Ally McCoist or Kenny McDowall can't go and he will start off with a trip to Lithuania to see Kaunas against Suduva in the domestic championship."

I think this is brilliant news as Ive always liked Durrant. Not sure of everyone elses thoughts but I thought WS underplayed him when he got back from that horrendous injury. Yet he went onto play into his 30's. Great player and we could have got more from him IMO. Having a player like that must help the kids coming through.

I like him as well and he's undoubtedly got some sort of coaching ability, but I'm not really sure how much we should take this as news.

He was already spying on our Euro opponents last season and by the sounds of it he's still a reserves coach (albeit, 1st team reserves as opposed to frozen-out scroungers). I suppose, no news is good news.

....or better than bad news at least :D

If he is first team coach what is Kenny McDowall's role ? Never been too sure on that although I have no doubt he is a valuable member of the management

Durrant wasnt the same player when he came back IMO - I thought he was one of the best talents this country EVER produced, I was a HUGE fan of Durrant.

Souness came out and said the same thing at the time Craig. Basically that Durrant was the best young midfielder he had ever seen and would turn into a better player than he ever was. Some compliment indeed for a player as successful as Souness was.

If he is first team coach what is Kenny McDowall's role ? Never been too sure on that although I have no doubt he is a valuable member of the management

Durrant wasnt the same player when he came back IMO - I thought he was one of the best talents this country EVER produced, I was a HUGE fan of Durrant.

He is exactly the sort of player we're looking for now, in fact.:sigh:

If he is first team coach what is Kenny McDowall's role ?

AFAIK He's still the 1st team coach. I think it's just some restructuring to do with the fact that we now have as big a squad ...Then there's the younger players who've come through the youth set-up, but aren't getting a regular game.

So essentially we've now got a set-up with 1st team players (starters) coached by McDowall. 1st team reserves (squad players) coached by Durrant. Then there's the 'reserves'(left-overs) dealt with by ???

...Either that or both McDowall and Durrant are A/B squad 1st team coaches, except McDowall sits in the dugout while Durrant stays behind at Murray Park (with the B-squad).

I'm confused myself now :D

UCF... English please.....

kidding - makes sense but I wonder if that puts McDowall's nose out of joint a bit - hopefully not as they do seem to have created a lot better harmony between WS, AM and KM (Kenny McDowall, not Kenny Miller.......) and the squad.