Rangers' Loovens bid hits glitch-Boyd offered up

Guest modman

dont care what anyone says boyd its an out and out goal scorer even if he spends most of the seaon on the bench he'll be top scorer i think anyways.

I Want To Keep Kris

From Lindsay Herron in Holland

WALTER SMITH has confirmed he is interested in Dutch defender Glenn Loovens but insists he does not want to lose striker Kris Boyd.

Cardiff City had a �£2.5million offer for Boyd rejected a few weeks ago and now there is speculation of a deal that could take Boyd to Wales if Loovens moves in the other direction.

Loovens, the 24-year-old former Feyenoord defender, is in the final year of his contract with The Bluebirds, who already have ex-Gers Gavin Rae, Stevie Thompson and RosGlenn Loovens of Cardiff Citys McCormack on their books.

Smith is looking to bolster the back division given that Andy Webster is on his way back after nearlly two years of little or no football and Loovens could fit the bill.

The Dutchman initially joined Cardiff on loan but made the deal permanent in 2006 and has been virtually ever-present since, including last season's FA Cup final defeat by Portsmouth.

Smith said: "We have been making enquiries but not to the club.

"We have been looking to get in another central defender and he is a player who has been recommended and somebody we have taken a look at.

"That is where we are at the present stage. We haven't taken things any further than that.

"We Kris Boydare still trying to strengthen but if we can't get the players we want then we will just go with what we have got."

Smith re-iterated that he does not want Boyd to leave the club, although with the signings of Kenny Miller, Kyle Lafferty and Andrius Velicka he has seven strikers to choose from with Daniel Cousin, Jean-Claude Darcheville and Nacho Novo also vying for slots.

Boyd gave another indication of his striking prowess last night when he scored twice in the 3-1 win over lower order German side Sportfreunde Lotte.

Smith said: "I don't want to let him go. I have said that all the time.

"We have a few strikers just now but I am sure one or two of them will go. But Boyd is not one I would want to let go myself.

"It was a wee bit frustrating for him last season and I can appreciate that because it wasn't the easiest of circumstances for him last season.

White-man speak with forked tongue.

Did he not say the same about Hutton?

Nah, the official line Re Hutton was always "from a football sense we would love to keep him" which, when translated meant "but we want the cash so he is being sold".