Dane hints return to Ibrox still possible

http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/football/display.var.2403897.0.Dane_hints_return_to_Ibrox_still_possible.php

PETER Lovenkrands last night admitted he would relish the opportunity to return to Rangers. The Schalke 04 winger missed the Bundesliga side's 1-0 victory against his former club through injury on Saturday but later volunteered his wish to go back to Scotland for family reasons.

The Dane revealed talks at the end of last season came close to securing his return after leaving two years ago on a Bosman and he refused to discount the possibility of a deal being revived before the transfer deadline at the end of August. Lovenkrands is prepared to take a major reduction in his �£30,000 per week earnings at Schalke, who are bankrolled by the Russian energy giants, Gazprom. The Germans want a fee for the player, who has a year remaining on his contract, but with Rangers' financial constraints a short-term loan move is the likeliest arrangement for any return.

"It's a bit difficult for me to speak about, but I would have loved to come back to Rangers," said Lovenkrands. "I would have done it in a minute, but it wasn't to be. There was a bit of contact, but not enough apparently.

advertisement

"Would I still go to Rangers?

It's difficult for me to comment on but you can probably tell from the look on my face that I would. I don't want to talk about it too much because I don't think it will be an issue. We would just have to cross that bridge if it comes."

Lovenkrands, who joined Rangers from AB Copenhagen, married his Scottish girlfriend, Teresa, last year.

They have kept their house in Glasgow and she is believed to be keen to return home with Lovenkrands and their daughter, Sophie. His future at Schalke is unclear after the arrival of a new manager, Fred Rutten, and Jefferson Farfan, the $10m signing from PSV Eindhoven who performs in Lovenkrands' position.

"Things were going well for me here before the injuries, so I'm just looking forward to getting back to playing football again," he said. "Things look positive under the new coach. Hopefully, I can play more games after the injury problems last season.

"It's been a very frustrating time because my future has been undecided. I would have liked to have played against Rangers because I keep in touch, mostly with Chris Burke back in Glasgow, but it was good to speak to Kris Boyd, Allan McGregor, Charlie Adam, Nacho Novo and a few of the other lads. It was nice to see them all again."

Lovenkrands also spoke optimistically of Rangers' prospects of overcoming FB Kaunas in the Champions League qualifier, despite being outclassed against Schalke. "Being at home first is important for Rangers when they play Kaunas," he said. "They can keep a clean sheet at Ibrox and get a couple of goals into the bargain. They'll be fine if they can do that. If they can stay as organised as they were last season, then I don't see it being a problem for them.

"I wouldn't read too much into this result. Yes, it looked like Schalke were superior to Rangers but it's still early. The last friendly we played was terrible, so this was an important game for us."

I'd welcome him back. Depends on the fee, seeing as we could get him on a pre-contract in Jan.

Not the type of player we need now. We need players that can control a ball and pass. If we are going to buy a left winger then Eljero Elia from FC Twente would be a better bet. He is only 20 and a far better player than Lovenkrands.

While we are by Twente an offer for RB Luke Wilkshire would be great as well.

Not the type of player we need now. We need players that can control a ball and pass. If we are going to buy a left winger then Eljero Elia from FC Twente would be a better bet. He is only 20 and a far better player than Lovenkrands.

While we are by Twente an offer for RB Luke Wilkshire would be great as well.

Agree with you here Pete,another overpaid player who plays every now and again,and he's certainly not a winger

I can understand that the support would be divided on this one. He was very inconsistent in his first spell. However, I still think he'd manage more games in a season than Burke and Beasley put together. Also, he knows the club and wants to come back, taking a 'huge' wage cut in the process apparently. That says to me that he's got the right attitude.

Yes of course, because we've got plenty of wingers. :confused:

That was the problem with Lovenkrands though he didn't want to be a winger and went into hiding at times. He also needs about 5 yards to control a ball.

I think Beasley is a better option if he could stay fit.

...but more than McCulloch, Adam or Whitaker will ever be.

Very true,however IMO you get more out of the mentioned players,also i'm not sure what position Lafferty plays,left wing I think !!!

...but more than McCulloch, Adam or Whitaker will ever be.

Agree with that but to be honest i think if you look in the Dutch 1st division you will find a player better than Lovenkrands. Mark Overmars was playing there for years before he was spotted. There are some good players there who could do a good job for us and they cost next to nothing.