No Excuses - time for Furman and Fleck

I think it's fair to say I'm one of the more optimistic posters on here. I try to see the positives in most situations and am also careful not to become embroiled in the continual negativity about every and any subject.

Unfortunately, the 'midfield' (if we can call it such a thing) last night means my patience is really starting to run out.

First off - we should have signed another midfield player well before now. Barry Ferguson didn't have a great season last year, Thomson is still developing, Davis/Faye left after their loans and our other options are inconsistent and/or inexperienced. The injury to Ferguson only made the situation worse but didn't change the fact we needed another midfielder - a creative, mobile player capable of breaking down teams.

The fact we never - and are now risking our CL and financial future on such a decision - means several people at our club are guilty of gross negligence.

They now have a short time to change this in a few different ways.

1. Again, sign a new central midfield player. Surely we have realistic targets if Davis (still not sure he's the answer anyway) cannot be signed immediately. Not doing so is completely unacceptable - budgetary requirements or not.

2. In the mean-time, we should play people who will break teams down and supply the strikers. Christian Dailly is not that person. Neither is Lee McCulloch. Charlie Adam does have a modicum of flair but quite simply he is not good enough as his decision-making and consistency are still well short of the standard required. That's after a season of being a first XI player and playing at the highest club levels.

3. That leaves Dean Furman and John Fleck - our next available options. We're all well aware of the risk regarding playing inexperienced players. Will they adapt physically? How will they cope with often unrealistic supporter expectation? Can they hit the ground running? What if they don't do the business? Poppycock, is what I say!!! Give them their chance and let them provide what their peers are not doing. Would we really be any worse off?

Finally, it's easy to carried away after last night's poor result. We can (and still will IMO) win the tie but we need to maximise our chances by playing the correct players at the correct time. Rustiness and bad luck can only account for so much understanding. Bizarre personnel choices were equally to blame.

Ironically, it could be argued an away tie deep in Lithuania isn't the time to bring in young lads or new players. Maybe so. I'll contend it is exactly that kind of pressure environment that will bring the best out of our young hopes while giving them the kind of immediate experience that will stand them in good stead for the future.

No excuses, indeed!

Stop it!!...

We have Whittaker to step into midfield when Kirk gets shunted back to RB.Big Lee will step up and show his vision and pace alongside our own Makalele..Christian Dailly!!

:onetoomany:

We need to sign another Centre half and maybe another forward to sit alongside the other 4 on the bench!!

I don't think it's time for Fleck, he is only 16. Same age as me, although i would relish coming up against Liverpool, Kaunus away, Falkirk away, Hearts Home etc etc, but the responsibility on his shoulders. What would happen if we are getting beat 1-0 in Kaunus next week and Fleck has an open goal and blazes it over the bar, miss of the century. That could crush him in that single moment, we need him to get some minuts here and there first. Furman i agree with, having him and Thomson in centre midfield would be fantastic, Furman played good against dundee Utd last season , played good against Raith Rovers and is also the reserve team captain.

Playing at 16 didn't hinder Rooney...

Fleck will miss a sitter at some point in his career and cost a game. That kind of thing makes genuine players not finish them.

Stop it!!...

We have Whittaker to step into midfield when Kirk gets shunted back to RB.Big Lee will step up and show his vision and pace alongside our own Makalele..Christian Dailly!!

:onetoomany:

We need to sign another Centre half and maybe another forward to sit alongside the other 4 on the bench!!

please remove your tongue from your cheek

Playing at 16 didn't hinder Rooney...

Fleck will miss a sitter at some point in his career and cost a game. That kind of thing makes genuine players not finish them.

Rooney was prbably introduced to lower key games. Kaunus doesn't sound a big game but is a massive game for us and can't put the lad under that type of pressure ! If it was me personally i would love to go out and prove my worth, but if if donald ducked something and put us out, it would be heart breaking !

Better with experience these types of games

I don't think it's time for Fleck, he is only 16. Same age as me, although i would relish coming up against Liverpool, Kaunus away, Falkirk away, Hearts Home etc etc, but the responsibility on his shoulders. What would happen if we are getting beat 1-0 in Kaunus next week and Fleck has an open goal and blazes it over the bar, miss of the century. That could crush him in that single moment, we need him to get some minuts here and there first. Furman i agree with, having him and Thomson in centre midfield would be fantastic, Furman played good against dundee Utd last season , played good against Raith Rovers and is also the reserve team captain.

If he misses, he misses. He's a big boy now. I doubt 1 miss would ruin his career

No sign of gentle introduction here:

Games played by Wayne Rooney in 2002/2003 Goals Cards

17-08-2002 English Premier Everton 2-2 Tottenham 0

24-08-2002 English Premier Sunderland 0-1 Everton 0

28-08-2002 English Premier Everton 1-1 Birmingham 0

31-08-2002 English Premier Man City 3-1 Everton 0

11-09-2002 English Premier Southampton 1-0 Everton 0

14-09-2002 English Premier Everton 2-1 Middlesbro 0

22-09-2002 English Premier Aston Villa 3-2 Everton 0

01-10-2002 English League Cup Wrexham 0-3 Everton 2

07-10-2002 English Premier Man Utd 3-0 Everton 0

19-10-2002 English Premier Everton 2-1 Arsenal 1