Derby County's Kris Commons and Falkirk's Darren Barr are surprise debutants in George Burley's Scotland squad to face Northern Ireland.

Mansfield-born Commons, 24, has yet to represent Scotland at any level.

Defender Barr, 23, and midfielder Commons were among the 24 players named for next Wednesday's match at Hampden.

Burley will use the friendly as preparation for Scotland's opening game in their World Cup qualifying group, against Macedonia on 6 September.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scotland squad

Goalkeeper: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Christophe Berra (Heart of Midlothian), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Callum Davidson (Preston North End), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Kevin McNaughton (Cardiff City), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Kris Commons (Derby County), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Gavin Rae (Cardiff City), Barry Robson (Celtic) , Kevin Thomson (Rangers)

Forwards: Kris Boyd (Rangers), David Clarkson (Motherwell), Steven Fletcher (Hibernian), James McFadden (Birmingham City), Kenny Miller (Rangers)

I didnt know Christophe Berra was scottish.

I cant believe Callum Davidson is back in the squad.

Not sure if id have Whittaker near the squad.

No Maloney or Hutton?

McCullochs form has obviously been picked up on.

Not at all sure about Barr, Morrison, Commons or Clarkson.

Im glad its only a friendly as if this was a qualifier against the Dutch id be panicking.

Lots of players pulling out. Not going to be much of a game. I know the international managers have to prepare but its at a silly time. Surely a squad get together and a 'A' team vrs 'B' team would have been better.

Five players have withdrawn from the Scotland squad to face Northern Ireland in Wednesday's friendly at Hampden.

Celtic duo Gary Caldwell and Paul Hartley have joined Cardiff City's Kevin McNaughton and Gavin Rae on the sidelines for George Burley's side.

Preston full-back Callum Davidson - who received a first call-up in six years - is the fifth player to withdraw.

Hearts midfielder Michael Stewart, Rangers' Davie Weir and Burnley's Graham Alexander have been called-up.

Northern Ireland skipper Aaron Hughes, Kyle Lafferty and George McCartney are also out of the Hampden encounter.

The call-offs are a blow to Burley as he continues his preparations for next month's opening 2010 World Cup qualifier against Macedonia in Skopje.

Change the title to Scotland v N.Ireland ?? Then this could be the match thread

I'm looking forward to wednesday night's game. Always enjoy Scotland games.

Think we can win this one although it will be a hard game, thank god Lafferty has withdrawn. Although Davis and Healy still frightens me.

Will be intresting to see what the starting line up is

Can I just ask, what the fuck is going to learn by bringing in Weir and Alexander. They have a combined age of over 70 and about 80 odd caps between them!!!! I could understand calling them up if it's a qualifier, but for a friendly?

I didnt know Christophe Berra was scottish
.In my Football Manager game he refused my call-up to the Scotland squad as he was waiting for Domenech to call him up for France. Never happened!!

I cant believe Callum Davidson is back in the squad
. My missu used to share a flat with his missus!
Not at all sure about Barr, Morrison, Commons or Clarkson

Clarkson scored on his debut against the Czech Republic and didn't look out of place. This is the sort of game he shoulf be getting a run in.

Im glad its only a friendly as if this was a qualifier against the Dutch id be panicking
. We'll have plenty players back by then - I hope

What's your plans ?

I never drink before a Rangers game as i always go up with my dad

But go to the Scotland games with my mates. Up to my mates house at 3pm on Wednesday, some ciders and beers. Train up to Glasgow and then up to Hampden.

I'm sitting North Stand

Yourself ?