Midfield - how will we shape up ?

Its great to have these selection headaches at last. Bringing in 2 or 3 faces totally changes the face of our options and IF WS decides to play at least 4 REAL midfielders then its exciting times ahead. Although, as Calscot says we cant get carried away with names on paper.

I was hoping for Varynen, Davis and Lovenkrands a few days ago but I didnt forsee any of these players, but IM delighted with our purchases. If Edu and Bresciano join then we will be over loaded with midfielders!!! :cheers:

IF these new guys get off to a good start then Barry Ferguson is going to find it tough to get back in the side when fit. But I actually think he will thrive with other real midfielders. He will be fully fit and raring to go after a good break.

Id love to see us try 3-5-2 with this squad.

Who would you play as your 3 at the back though ? Bougherra plus who ? You cant use Weir as he is too slow to play in a back 3.

4-4-2 this season or 4-5-1/4-3-3.

I dont want to see just 1 striker with the options we have but having 5 midfielders from your list would over run games. Whittaker dropping out wouldnt be a loss for me, id rather 1 of the new guys get a game in midfield than him.

Papac can play in a back 3.

So Bougherra Broadfoot and Papac wouldnt be a decent shout.

__________________McGregor__________________

______Broadfoot____Bougherra______Papac_______

__________Mendes_________Thomson____________

___Novo___________Niguez________Beasley_______

____________Velicka_______Lafferty______________

I dont want to see just 1 striker with the options we have but having 5 midfielders from your list would over run games. Whittaker dropping out wouldnt be a loss for me, id rather 1 of the new guys get a game in midfield than him.

Papac can play in a back 3.

So Bougherra Broadfoot and Papac wouldnt be a decent shout.

__________________McGregor__________________

______Broadfoot____Bougherra______Papac_______

__________Mendes_________Thomson____________

___Novo___________Niguez________Beasley_______

____________Velicka_______Lafferty______________

Dont forget though that the 4-5-1 is only when you are defending. When attacking it is a 4-3-3 - and even with the players you have in that 3-5-2 you could drop, say, Aaron (Niguez - he goes by the name Aaron, Gribz), and still effectively have THREE strikers instead of 2 as Novo would be a striker.

I still fail to see the argument we hear about the 4-5-1 being very negative - with the personnel we have the 4-5-1 is actually very attacking IMO.

When we don't have the ball Novo and Beasley track back and cover the full backs to make it a 4-5-1.

However, as soon as we have the ball we have 3 CM's who control the ball and, hopefully, move it forward swiftly to the now 3 forwards we have (in your instance Velicka, Lafferty (if played wide left) and Novo coming forward from midfield.

I just dont buy that 4-5-1 is a negative formation.

Not saying that a 3-5-2 wouldnt work but I have to disagree - when I look at that back 3 I think it would leak goals like no tomorrow unless provided the protection from the midfield.

Dont forget though that the 4-5-1 is only when you are defending. When attacking it is a 4-3-3 - and even with the players you have in that 3-5-2 you could drop, say, Aaron (Niguez - he goes by the name Aaron, Gribz), and still effectively have THREE strikers instead of 2 as Novo would be a striker.

I still fail to see the argument we hear about the 4-5-1 being very negative - with the personnel we have the 4-5-1 is actually very attacking IMO.

When we don't have the ball Novo and Beasley track back and cover the full backs to make it a 4-5-1.

However, as soon as we have the ball we have 3 CM's who control the ball and, hopefully, move it forward swiftly to the now 3 forwards we have (in your instance Velicka, Lafferty (if played wide left) and Novo coming forward from midfield.

I just dont buy that 4-5-1 is a negative formation.

Not saying that a 3-5-2 wouldnt work but I have to disagree - when I look at that back 3 I think it would leak goals like no tomorrow unless provided the protection from the midfield.

Im not saying 4-5-1 is negative at all but id rather see 2 strikers get a game. With 4-5-1 you take my team but drop probably Lafferty to allow Whittaker to go to RB.

But its great to have these options again. Il be realistic and say we wont go 3-5-2 but we certainly have the players to try it now.

Is Aaron called Aaron because nobody can spell his other names?? :fish:

Yes, partly but also Spanish family names are so long they tend to be known by one name e.g. 'Raul' is actually Raul Gonzalez and something else.

Gives me the chance to repeat my joke: Aaron Niguel Esclapez - does he have an'esclapaez' clause in his contract? Dont want another Carlos situation.

Yes, partly but also Spanish family names are so long they tend to be known by one name e.g. 'Raul' is actually Raul Gonzalez and something else.

Gives me the chance to repeat my joke: Aaron Niguel Esclapez - does he have an'esclapaez' clause in his contract? Dont want another Carlos situation.

You had to repeat your joke because it is pish :fish:

Pretty neat, my 4yr old's name is Aaron and I always get his name on the back of his shirt - now I can save 3 quid by saying it is a squad name :devil: