Midfield - how will we shape up ?

I was about to reply in the Edu thread but I think this deserves a thread all of its own.

IF we make the signings we are expected to make in Mendes and Edu (plus Aaron who has already signed) then I could easily be convinced that the midfield becomes our strongest area of the team (surprising given how many defenders and forwards we have).

Midfielders we will have :

Kevin Thomson

Pedro Mendes

Maurice Edu

Aaron

Beasley

Brahim Hemdani (leaving ??)

Novo (seems to be a converted midfielder)

McCulloch

Adam

Furman (must see his chances of getting a game wane - sadly)

Plus the injured midfielders :

Barry Ferguson

Steven Naismith

Chris Burke

I find that to be a very strong midfield although I would expect some to be moved on (Hemdani for sure and I wouldnt be too bothered at losing McCulloch either - sell him for 2 mill and get Mendes for 3 - very decent "financial swap" IMO).

But the next question to be answered is : Just how do we line up ? One thing that the new signings should give us is flexibility in formation - we should be able to play with 3, 4 OR 5 midfielders which hopefully makes it very difficult for opponents to read too much into us (although it also relies on WS changing things if they arent going well....)

It should also allow us to use Whittaker at RB in his natural position, even though he has played better in other positions.

IF we make these signings then things just got a whole lot brighter for this Bear.

I think Bresciano is the key to having an excellent balance in midfield... Two alternatives we can go for:

Bresciano | Mendes | Thomson | Beasley

Novo | Edu | Ferguson | Aaron

Add in the other names you mention, then at last we have a midfield depth worthy of getting excited about.

Let's just hope the names linked do actually come in.

If we get Bresciano too I have no doubts we would have the best midfield in the country - just a shame that we go about our business so late in the transfer window (although to be fair you sometimes have to wait on developments from other teams too).

Those 8 players give us great options IMO and will show a very strong midfield. With the number of strikers we have on the books we should be OK on that front too.

In defence we could do with a CB to partner Bougherra. RB we would have Whittaker with Broadfoot replacing (so a RB would be nice but Broadfoot would be ok as a stop-gap). Papac is doing a very commendable job on the left and has made that spot his own. IF Stevie Smith recovers from injury then we would be covered at LB too.

Again, it is all about the IFS - but IF we sign Mendes, Bresciano, Edu and a CB then I think we have a very strong squad this season.

Craig - you forgot Fleck, who is a sort of midfielder. You summarised it succinctly but I think it will be easier to integrate Fleck and Furman when we are playing well, though personally I would blood them in the diddy cups. A week is a long time in football!

I left Fleck out as I was considering him more a striker - my bad, apologies.

I agree - Fleck and Furman should be blooded in when we are 15 points ahead in the league - so in November then..... we can but dream !!

Actually I think that should have been more specific. I think we will have a very strong team AND squad this season.

Last year we had a BIG squad but lacked in the starting XI - IF we sign these players then I think they WILL go straight into the starting XI (at least Mendes and Bresciano will and, if Aaron is as good as we are hearing, then possibly him too).

A nice mix of youth and experience in these signings too which shouldn't be forgotten.

It's amazing the difference a few signings makes... However, let's not get too carried away, going from zeros to heroes in a week sounds too easy and a recipe for more disappointment.

It's got to be said, I'm starting to feel a lot better about a squad which looked third rate yesterday.

The officials at the club are definitely hurting and we are seeing some decisive action.

The championship is a must this season and it's starting to shape up especially with Celtic actually looking a tad worse than we are. History suggests we actually have the advantage without Euro football and to be honest I'd like to see us treat the League cup less seriously too and use it to blood the youngsters and give key players a rest.

I think a lot of us would have swapped a long Euro run this year for the title, but I think we were more thinking about going out in the last 16 of the CL or being 3rd in the CL and going out in the last 16 of UEFA.

Anyway, what a difference a day makes.