With the SFA's First XIV up next, is it time to dispense with 4-5-1

Nice article to kick off Old Firm week and we can debate it until the kick off.

Football isnt rocket science to work out but when Manager make decisions that arent straight forward it becomes tricky i.e. playing players out of position.

I would go with 4-3-3 with the 2 wide players making it a 4-5-1 when they have the ball. Id try get the ball on the deck and out play Celtic. Im afraid the last thing I would do is put Boyd upfront on his own coz that is just taking pressure off the Celtic defence, and I dont think id play Miller just because of his running efforts.

Instead, id opt for Velicka to be strong and link up with the wide men. Id also be tempted to bite the bullet and give Cousin a chance, if he is on his game i dont think Celtics defence could handle him.

In the wide right it would be Novo for me, he always plays well against Celtic and gives them a torrid time. On the left id have Beasley or Aaron.

I dont know much about Edu but I actually wouldnt be surprised to see him start in a packed midfield with Thomson, Davis and Mendes.

One thing is for sure - Adam and McCulloch cant play next week!

Guest lazyscot

One thing is for sure - Adam and McCulloch cant play next week!

I agree with everything about that statement, except I would exclude the last two words.

:cheers:

Seriously though, great thread - you've all had me change my mind about a dozen times since I started reading it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we went 4-4-2 and we cuffed them on their own patch.

With Cousin's departure, the main points of this thread are even more pertinent. We really can no longer play 4-5-1 as we just don't have the target man to lead the line the way Cousin did os effectively at Parkhead.

Hopefully we'll stick with 4-4-2 for the rest of the season, or at least not utilise a formation that isolates an ineffectual lone striker.

4-5-1 in Scotland even against them shows too much negativity for me. As we showed against them last week - go and have a go. It certainly worked last week. It was such a contrast to some of our displays at Parkhead in recent years. Lets hope it's the first of a few wins there in the coming seasons :rfc: