Superleague formula motor racing

Remember Rangers entered into motor racing? No, I had completely forgotten too.

There are 6 races, and the first has taken place with absolutely no publicity that I have seen. This was the UK leg as well.

Why are we wasting time (and money?) on this if there is to be no publicity from it?

There are 2 races on each leg and we are lying 12th out of 17.

Beijing Gouan FC 79 50 29

Tottenham Hotspur 72 40 32

Liverpool FC 72 32 40

Sevilla FC 68 18 50

AS Roma 63 45 18

PSV Eindhoven 59 36 23

Flamengo 52 7 45

FC Basel 46 20 26

FC Porto 46 26 20

BVB Borussia Dortmund 44 8 36

Al-Ain 37 29 8

Rangers FC 33 23 10

Olympiacos 30 14 16

SC Corinthians 30 16 14

Galatasaray SK 24 12 12

RSC Anderlecht 17 10 7

AC Milan 6 6 0

Yip, this whole thing is bizarre.

I'd love to find out how much exactly we have spent on this marketing exercise. Running any kind of motorsport car is extremely expensive and with limited sponsorship from what I can see, how is our participation funded?

Who provides the car? How are the team paid? Where are we gaining from this?

The questions are endless and the concept seems extremely flawed given the minimal exposure of the 'sport'.

Definitely one for the club AGM.

I beg to differ, on the continent this is getting huge exposure.

In Britain we think racing is guff unless it involves rally cars or F1, there's a potential huge audience out there and thats the market it's aimed at.

The very fact some of the biggest clubs in the world are in it should at least give some bearing to the cause.

Frankie the website is extremely helpful, if I remember rightly there is a very minimal outlay by Rangers in this. We aren't pumping the likes of F1 money into it.

Television

Fans will be able to view the championship on:

* UK: Setanta Sports

* Spain and Andorra: Cuatro

* Italy: Sky Italia

* Portugal: TVI

* Brazil: Sportv

* France: Direct 8

* Netherlands: RTL

* Greece: Alpha TV

* Cyprus: MiVision

* Turkey: Show TV

* UAE & Middle East countries: Abu Dhabi Sport

For all the remaining European countries, Eurosport 2, will provide live coverage of the race weekend as well as a specific magazine in prime time on Tuesdays.

In addition Superleague Formula will also be broadcast on many of the participating club's own networks including:

* AC Milan: Milan Chanel

* Borussia Dortmund: BVB TV

* PSV: PSV TV

* FC Basel: FCB Internet TV

* RSC Anderlecht: RSCA TV

* Galatasaray: Galatasaray TV

* Glasgow Rangers: Rangers TV

* Sevilla FC: Sevilla TV

* Corinthians: Corinthians TV

* Flamengo: Flamengo TV

* Olympiacos: Sport TV

* Liverpool: LFCTV

Superleague Formula's debut race will be seen in 62 countries across the globe with a potential audience reach of 100 million people.

Much of the sales, marketing and technology work will be handled centrally by the league, thus affording a considerable cost-savings to the teams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superleague_Formula

Bluedell like all PR things at Rangers they miss the boat, the car was at Ibrox at the end of last season, barely anyone noticed as it was along the dugout, they could have had an unveiling in the middle of the pitch, etc.

A few posters from VB went to Donington, said they had a great time. I think the marketing thinking behind this is that they want clubs with big followings so that their supporters will show up and increase the gate receipts.

http://www.superleagueformula.com/

I beg to differ, on the continent this is getting huge exposure.

In Britain we think racing is guff unless it involves rally cars or F1, there's a potential huge audience out there and thats the market it's aimed at.

The very fact some of the biggest clubs in the world are in it should at least give some bearing to the cause.

Frankie the website is extremely helpful, if I remember rightly there is a very minimal outlay by Rangers in this. We aren't pumping the likes of F1 money into it.

I will admit i don't watch motor racing programmes but i have not heard one word about it and most of my colleagues at work are motor racing crazy. Motor and bike racing are discussed regularly in the coffee-shop. Certainly not living in my social surrounding.

Guest metalliger

on a slightly different note, went to school with the guy that drives our car - Ryan Dalziel, good news is he is a huge bluenose, Coulthard taught him how to drive when he was still at school. He had a bit of a 'mare in the 1st race, think there was mechanical problems or something.Hopefully he will do better in the next race...