Rangers abroad/JJB deal

Does anyone know how our arrangement with JJB works for the foreign market?

Is the JJB thing a completely exclusive deal, or is it only in the UK? The reason I ask, is despite having a high profile abroad, it is much harder to see Rangers gear, especially when you see green and grey hoops all over the place (e.g. nike store at the nou camp, and in american sports stores).

It is an observation my dad has made when visiting family in canada - their tops are easy to obtain, and ours are impossible! I also noticed a similar trend while in the states recently. We once asked the owners of a small sports store once, and he said it was mainly due to how difficult it was to stock rangers tops.

The reason it is an issue worth raising is the higher profile we will be receiving in the US. We already have Beasley and have gone on to sign one of Americas most promising, high profile players. Edu is to be on the front of the american version of FIFA 09 i believe...

Surely this could be a market to capitalise on...? Anyone know the scoop?

Not Sure , but couldnt agree with you more as when i go on holiday its impossible to find any Rangers tops/Rangers anything but the places like Spain and the Algarve are riddled with Celtic merchandise most of it is fake but thats not the point.

Was gutted to see Tim Tops on sale in the Barcelona shop at the New Camp , Nike know the fan base both Glasgow clubs have and use it to the Max in the Tims case selling the manky Green and grey wherever they can,

but Rangers and Umbro dont seem to bother Abroad so you could be on to something , and i also agree its time to take a slice of the Cake in the USA soccer Market we have high profile players in America so lets take advantage of it and make some $$$$ like so many others have already , teams like Chelsea ,Man U , Tims all try and get the money from America but we have 2 of their best players plus added on to our fanbase stateside i cant see how we can lose.

but will Rangers drag there heals as usual or spot a Money Making oppurtunity for the club. ?

I went to JJB in Northampton the other day, and they had 1 top - a small top.

On the rack in front, a big sign proclaiming the new dhims top. And a rack full of them from small boys to xxl mens.

Not a happy Bear

In Gibraltar they have 2 massive sports shops and u cannot buy a rangers top, for years ive been trying to get the fucker to get some in cos there a few bears here but to no avail :( but u can buy a celtic top no probs

and just back from London aswell and even in JJB i cudnt get a fucking rangers top was really pissed offf.

only place i can buy one is when i go home to scotland

Its been the same for years though, across the world you can always pick up a Celtic top, but struggle to find a Gers one. I can't believe we're still in the same position all these years later. So disappointing really.

As for the JJB deal, surely we must have specified some minimum level of stock & prominence of place in all their stores for our stuff? Or does Murray not care as we're guaranteed x amount of millions no matter what?

Not Sure , but couldnt agree with you more as when i go on holiday its impossible to find any Rangers tops/Rangers anything but the places like Spain and the Algarve are riddled with Celtic merchandise most of it is fake but thats not the point.

Was gutted to see Tim Tops on sale in the Barcelona shop at the New Camp , Nike know the fan base both Glasgow clubs have and use it to the Max in the Tims case selling the manky Green and grey wherever they can,

but Rangers and Umbro dont seem to bother Abroad so you could be on to something , and i also agree its time to take a slice of the Cake in the USA soccer Market we have high profile players in America so lets take advantage of it and make some $$$$ like so many others have already , teams like Chelsea ,Man U , Tims all try and get the money from America but we have 2 of their best players plus added on to our fanbase stateside i cant see how we can lose.

but will Rangers drag there heals as usual or spot a Money Making oppurtunity for the club. ?

That's a great point there about the U.S. DJBlue. If the Devil's Xl can go hawking themselves in the Far East, we need to tap in to the great Rangers diaspora (lot of supporters' clubs in Canada and Australia including my cousin and his son.)

Ive mentioned this in the past also about Rangers tops. Was in Sau Paulo last December and there was a row of Mhanky tops laid out and advertised with all the other Nike gear in the largest sports shop in a City of 16m people. There was 2 or 3 Rangers and hearts!!! tops, however you had to do a good bit of raking to find them. They were actually in with all the previous 2 or 3 seasons tops from Europe.

Even in Britain tho, JJB is not your classiest of sports shops, in fact i cant mind the last time i bothered to go in one (not that im classy). The unclean hire a world marketing guru a few months back and while we have 2 american internationals we cant capitalise or seem to have an idea of how to. Im not impressed.

Guest lazyscot

In Canada the only place to get a Gers jersey (Gersey?) is in a specialty shop.

Man U, Milan are on every corner.

When we were sponsored by Adidas it was far easier to find merchandise.

In Canada the only place to get a Gers jersey (Gersey?) is in a specialty shop.

Man U, Milan are on every corner.

When we were sponsored by Adidas it was far easier to find merchandise.

I think you've got a point there. Is it not the case that it's the global brand of Nike that are pushing to have these tops sold worldwide rather than sceptic. In our case as we control the manufacturing of our own tops we have not got the global clout that Nike have and as you said when it used to be Addidas things were different.

Just a hunch!